Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What could this be?/

Leslie26
October 13th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I have a female pit and tonite we noticed a thick milky discharge like substance coming out of her vagina. I'm really not sure what it would be but it's really quite gross. She is always laying on the furniture or sleeping with us so we are fighting to keep her off of things. If anyone has any ideas please let me know thanks

otter
October 13th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Sorry no ideas on what it is - best to get a vet to check it out.
Maybe put some towels/blankets down where she likes to lay.
and try to keep her clean (wash with warm water, bit of soap) until you can get to a vet.
Good luck, hope it's nothing serious:fingerscr

Leslie26
October 13th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Thank you. I'm calling on Monday. She is my baby!! Acts so much like a child rather then a dog. I wondered if she may be preg but i know that would be green not a milky color

otter
October 13th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Might be a good time to make an appointment for spaying too. Spayed/neutered dogs are so much healthier:thumbs up

Frenchy
October 13th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Well you need to get her to the vet asap , if you're lucky , it's a yeast infection. If you're not , could be pyometra , and that is fatal for a dog. She can die. That is why female dogs need to be spayed.

Leslie26
October 13th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I have plans on getting her fixed. it's a brownish red color now. Shes shivering like shes cold but otherwise acting normal. I'm really worried about her. I'm trying to find a local vet that has an emergency number so I can at least get a little bit of info about what it could be.

Frenchy
October 13th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I do hope you can talk to a vet asap , if it's pyometra, she would have to get to a vet very very soon. I hope it's not , and I hope you can get her spay soon. Good luck and keep us posted. and also , if she's shivering , she might have a fever , wich is not too good. Have you taken her temp ?

Leslie26
October 13th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I have tried but she has not been very receptive. She is cleaning herslf up. I called a vet emergency number and they said it may be an infection or she could be about to have pups. I'm waiting on my hubby to get home so he can hold her while I try to take her temp.

allymack
October 13th, 2007, 09:36 PM
it might be pyometra if....
is she vomiting, have a loss of appeptite, increased drinking/ peeing? a temperature may not help, becasue not all the cases show a temperature. when you get her to the vet make sure to get her to an x-ray and an ultrasound becasue they will be able to show the enlarged uterus.
hope this is a help, ad i hope she is ok and you get her to a vet soon!!

Leslie26
October 13th, 2007, 09:55 PM
she isn't running a temp, hasn't increased drinking/peeing she did vomit once, she is leaking a reddish/brown thick discharge. She keeps getting up and cleaning up the mess, kinda shivering, really tense, anxious. I have her laying on a blanket and she keeps licking herself. Shes swollen down in that area as well.

allymack
October 13th, 2007, 10:15 PM
is the discharge like a blood reddish brown colour? also just try gently massaging her, it will help keep her calm, not anxious, sttill try and get her to a vet asap, becasue if it is pyometra she will most likely need surgery becasue it cant usually be cleared up with antibiotics, and pyometra can be fatal if left untreated. (not trying to scare you or anything, i just want ou to know as much as you can!)

Leslie26
October 13th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Yes it's redish brown in color kinda thick as well. I called an emergency number (closest one which is 2 hrs away) they said it might be a mild infection or about to give birth. They said to monitor the temp and if it gets over 103 then to bring her in but to call before I left. She is laying down but gets up and cleans the mess then looks for a comfy spot b4 she lays back down.

allymack
October 13th, 2007, 10:39 PM
well, i dont have much more information to offer, other than just listen to the vet and get her to your local vet on monday, hope all goes well, keep us posted!

Leslie26
October 13th, 2007, 10:41 PM
TY for your advice. She is my baby and I'm really worried about her. She is more like a child then a dog.

allymack
October 13th, 2007, 10:44 PM
does she look pregnant to you, at all?, i guess it would be pretty obvious is she was...

Purpledomino
October 14th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Pyometra is a definate possibility here, and assuming that she is eight years old as your profile states.... much more probable. Personally, I feel that the vets advice wasn't cautious enough, and I hope you packed your girl in the car and drove those two hours to get her examined already. Not meaning to sound unkind, but if you don't even know if your dog could be bred is very irresponsible IMO, and she should be examined regardless.

I truly hope that she is okay, and that you consider how important altering your pets are and that you didn't have to learn the hard way. Please keep us posted on her progress and good luck. :fingerscr

allymack
October 16th, 2007, 02:09 PM
any updates on your girl?

Chicklet
October 16th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Probably had her puppies :rolleyes:

everything she describes was exactly what they go thru before delivering, :stork-baby:

Kinda Curious to find out myself