Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Questions about rescues

sammgo21
October 13th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Hi everyone,

I sent off an application to a rescue and I have some questions about rescues - I hope this is right place to post.

1. What is a good way to find out information about a particular rescue? I've searched everywhere but unable to find out anything. Is there somewhere in the forum where the approved rescues (for pets.ca) are listed?

2. I've gathered a list of questions I have for the rescue, but what kind of questions should I expect from them?

3. The rescue said they would contact people once their applications were received - how long should I wait before checking to see if they received it? I know that it's mostly volunteers.

Thanks,
Samm

mastifflover
October 13th, 2007, 12:01 PM
You should be able to do a google search and get a hit. Have you checked on petfinder.com to see if they are on there. Maybe you could post the name and we can say if we know of it.

Frenchy
October 13th, 2007, 12:08 PM
but what kind of questions should I expect from them?

how long should I wait before checking to see if they received it? I know that it's mostly volunteers.

First of all thank you for considering the adoption of a rescue dog ! :thumbs up The rescues usually ask for your pet experience , vet's reference, they will need to know if you own or lease a house / condo etc... who much time will you give your dog per day : exercise / walks / grooming and so on.

I can't tell you how much time it will take for you to get a reply. These people are volunteers. Some of them are too busy on week ends or try to take a break .... so don't be worry if you don't hear from them for a couple of days. And good luck with the adoption :goodvibes:

sammgo21
October 13th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the replies....

I thought we weren't allowed to post the names of rescues?

I am googled out :D They have a yahoo group (which I joined but is more about rescues in general and transport) and a facebook group but nothing really there either. But it seems that most forums won't post the names of rescues to prevent slander I guess, but no one posts good things either.

I sent off the application last night, I'm just concerned b/c you don't email it, it on the site and goes to them electronically (I don't know how).

I answered all those questions on the application, so maybe it will just be more in depth when I talk to them, the question list I have for them is:

What is the adoption procedure?
How do they care for their animals?
The majority of rescue organizations utilize foster homes to house the animals in their care.
How do they decide which animals are adoptable?
Are the animals temperament and health tested? Who does the testing?
Are the animals spayed or neutered?
What other veterinary care has been provided?
Discuss their policies on veterinary check ups, vaccinations, deworming, flea treatment etc.
What are the costs involved in adopting and how are the funds used?
Do they offer an in-home trial?
What adoption and post adoption services are available?
Is adoption counseling provided to match pets will compatible homes?
Are members available to help discuss any problems or offer advice?
Do they have a return policy?

Questions about the dog
Was she a surrender? What were the circumstances? How long ago?
Has she been with the same foster since being surrendered?
What is the situation of the foster home? Is someone home with her all day? Fenced yard? Other dogs? Cats? Children?
Does the foster home find any temperament/behavioral issues?
Did the previous owners provide past medical records?
Are there any known health problems or allergies?
Has she been to the vet since being in your care?
What food is she eating? Is there a special diet required?

Does it need anything else?

otter
October 13th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Wow! What an amazing list of questions :thumbs up. I hope you don't mind if I borrow it for my next adoption :D

sammgo21
October 13th, 2007, 03:39 PM
thanks otter - The first set of questions I got from the humane society, the second set I came up with. Feel free ;)

chico2
October 13th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Samgo,I know the Oakville Humane Society take really good care of their animals and many are fostered out,maybe you should look in to them,they have a few young dogs,a couple of beautiful Huskys.
www.oakvillehumane.ca

sammgo21
October 13th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks Chico2 - they do! My parents adopted my cat there in 1989! I grew up in Oakville and have been there many times. I'm always keeping an eye on their site :)

sammgo21
October 13th, 2007, 08:40 PM
well the girl we were looking at is now adopted so the search continues! There are so many out there, it's hard to pick one....so now were looking at getting 2 ;) I think 2 dogs is much better at least they can have each other during the day when we are at work.
So, I guess another question. Should I fill out multiple applications? there about 5 or 6 that we are considering. And should I let them know we have other applications in? some of these are with the same groups.

Just in case anyone is wondering.....we are only looking at dogs that are good with other dogs b/c my parents have 2 and we would of course bring them if went over there and cross fur-babysitting would occur.

Frenchy
October 13th, 2007, 08:44 PM
And should I let them know we have other applications in?

IMO , you should pic 2 that you think you "qualify" for. Yes you can mention to the rescue that you are looking at other dogs but specify it's because you're looking to adopt 2. Are you sure you want to adopt 2 all at once ?

sammgo21
October 13th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks Frenchy.

Yes we are sure, we both have had dogs before, and usually more than 1 at a time!

I think we qualify for the ones we have chosen. We have sent off an email for information on one and waiting for a response. Also, I spoke with someone today about another dog, but she said the dog is currently under review for adoption with someone - they are going to the vet on Tuesday then the adopter will make their decision (this dog is loosing her hearing in 1 ear). I'm thinking, we will wait to see what these people say then move on to another set. Both of these dogs are with the same rescue, but different fosters.

Frenchy
October 13th, 2007, 09:22 PM
That would be easier if you get both dogs from the same rescue ! :thumbs up you must be so excited , feel free to post the links for these dogs so we can see them !

sammgo21
October 13th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Yup! Very excited

They are both listed here:
http://www.mississaugahumanesociety.com/
Scroll down a little bit, it's molly (the hearing impaired one) and Brandy, just underneath.

I wish we'd get a reply about Brandy, hopefully tomorrow. And Molly, I don't know.....I can't imagine that person is going to back out at this point unless the vet check comes back with something really bad.

Brandy's actually didn't say either way about her with other dogs, but I asked in the email and told them we were thinking about Molly as well (before I talked to her FM)

Frenchy
October 13th, 2007, 09:50 PM
So one of them is a GSD mixt .... I know of 2 that need to be adopted together :D in a Quebec rescue , they are older dogs , dad and daughter , just tought I would let you know ... :rolleyes:

sammgo21
October 13th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Really? Do you have a link to a posting for them?

mummummum
October 13th, 2007, 10:00 PM
So many great dogs on that site ~ I had to stop looking!

Frenchy
October 13th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Really? Do you have a link to a posting for them?

I must warn you , they are not young dogs. BUT all my dogs are older rescues and these dogs are soo loving !!!

Here's the father : http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9276961

and the daughter : http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9276970

both gorgeous ! :lovestruck:

Winston
October 13th, 2007, 10:16 PM
If GSD is the breed you like you could check out

www.gsrt.net

Best of luck!

Cindy

sammgo21
October 13th, 2007, 10:33 PM
awwww....they are gorgeous dogs! But, *sigh* their ages......thanks for passing it on though ;) I think 7 is the max age for us. We also have stairs so that's another consideration.

white wrabbit
October 17th, 2007, 11:19 PM
they are beautiful dogs.. all of them!

otter
October 17th, 2007, 11:31 PM
sammgo21, if you are still looking PLEASE consider a "pair" of dogs. There are so many sad stories of dogs that have been a "pair" having to be split up cause they can't find homes together. Many rescues have special reduced fees for adopting two dogs and will be MOST HAPPY to help you give a home to a pair. :fingerscr:fingerscr for you and a lucky bunch of dogs:D:D

sammgo21
October 18th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks everyone.

Otter - I have been looking for pairs! The first dog we put an application in for was 1 of a pair...someone had already adopted her best friend and they were split - it made me so sad!

Well I haven't heard back from anyone about any of the dogs that we have asked about. I'm finding it quite frustrating since it's been around 5 days now I've been waiting for a response.:frustrated: We haven't even put in applications for these animals, just asked if they were still available and if they could send us more information about the adoption process.

The local SPCA in my area - Hamilton/Burlington for those in the area - just rescued 80 dogs from a high-kill shelter in Louisiana. I'm going to have a look there tomorrow night.

Frenchy
October 18th, 2007, 11:40 AM
The local SPCA in my area - Hamilton/Burlington for those in the area - just rescued 80 dogs from a high-kill shelter in Louisiana. I'm going to have a look there tomorrow night.

I'm sure you will find 2 dogs that became buddies during their long trip. :fingerscr

white wrabbit
October 18th, 2007, 12:27 PM
i know what you mean about the wait and it beaning frustrating to hear back from them.. and when there web site has not that much info about adopting.. and is defiantly not up to date..
ok i will admit it i just went to your local SPCA site there an went to see if any pics of the dogs.. but i have no idea if they have the pics up there or not.. from what i have seen of most dogs that have been shipped in from there are breeds that are not our usual ones up here.. so i bet there are some beautiful ones you will see..

sammgo21
October 18th, 2007, 01:05 PM
It is quite frustrating, but I'll continue the search. I've made some follow up calls and emails so maybe that will be fruitful.

The Hamilton spca site is a little hard to navigate - click on adopt, then adoptable pets from the top menu. Then click the green button to see the list. This list is updated very frequently.

I'm excited to go tomorrow and see who is there. A lot of the dogs still don't have pictures or any information. I also know they had a spot on the local news the other night and I'm sure that brought alot of people in. A lot of them are now off the site :)

white wrabbit
October 18th, 2007, 02:09 PM
found one i would love to see.. bet she is a beautiul.. Lindy~ Catahoula Cross i love way they look.. well colors and markings.. (i am a Merle fanatic) now too bad i was not close enough i would go check her out.. she is at the end of my age range i am looking for..

i hope some one gets back to you soon:fingerscr

sammgo21
October 18th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I bet she is. I love that colouring/marking/brindle too....It's so gorgeous!

Jim Hall
October 18th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks everyone.

Otter - I have been looking for pairs! The first dog we put an application in for was 1 of a pair...someone had already adopted her best friend and they were split - it made me so sad!

Well I haven't heard back from anyone about any of the dogs that we have asked about. I'm finding it quite frustrating since it's been around 5 days now I've been waiting for a response.:frustrated: We haven't even put in applications for these animals, just asked if they were still available and if they could send us more information about the adoption process.

A lot of times the rescue groups will take up to 2 weeks to respond depending on kow busy they are If you are aprroved for one it usually means you will pass muster for the others YOu only need to fill out 1 application per rescue group not one for each animal you are interested in

white wrabbit
October 18th, 2007, 11:35 PM
well i went threw your list of questions you had.. hope you don't mind if i borrow them.. and i mean thank you very much this is a new process for me.. it has been years since i last adopted. it did not seam so complicated then... and i get to meet the only girl that stood out to me on Saturday.. they finally called back after i left a second msg..

she was glad i did i guess she cold not make out my number the first time i left it on Monday...

So i learned follow ups are good.. I am hoping your follow ups will be as good as mine was!:fingerscr

sammgo21
October 22nd, 2007, 12:32 PM
We ended up finding our match...

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45822

for details.

Thanks everyone for all your help and support.