Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lindy has mucky eyes??

Freyja
October 13th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I have noticed that the last couple of days Lindy (3 yo Shep Husky) has had more crusties at the corner of her eyes. This morning her eyes had muck in them. Like a baby when they get plugged ducts.

We have a new puppy (aprox 16wks) that we got last week and the two of them play hard!!

I checked with the rescue and the puppy has had first shot (parvo/distemper) and is due for next. Also had a course of antibiotics.

So could this puppy have given my dog something?

BTW Lindy is up to date for all of her vaccinations including Bordetella.

Freyja
October 13th, 2007, 10:06 AM
I believe I could use Polysporin Optic drops for her. Also, I am a midwife and I have erythromycin ointment (for babe's eyes). Could I use that instead? I have to take the puppy to the vet for shots next week so I will take Lindy in too, but of course it is Saturday and no vet today.....

hazelrunpack
October 13th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Might just be mild allergies. This seems to be a bad fall for allergies--around here, anyway. All of our dogs have been getting eye goobers this fall. And a couple of them have been mildly itchy.

Do Lindy's eyes look irritated or the membrane pinker than normal--or is it just excess eye goobers?

hazelrunpack
October 13th, 2007, 10:09 AM
If you have plain sterile saline, that's probably the best thing to use until you see a vet. It's soothing, will help clear out any grit or foreign material, and you don't have to worry about overmedicating or harming the eyes. :thumbs up

Freyja
October 13th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Allergies? hmmm....something I never considered. I am allergic to her but her allergic?

I will try the saline, thanks. The mucosa does not look inflammed, just creamy goop, not too yellow or pus-like. Green when dry, so probably leukocytes.

Lovely appetizing conversation huh?

jessi76
October 13th, 2007, 03:14 PM
my dog had conjunctivitis when he was a pup...I noticed greenish/yellowish overly gooey/crusty eyes (more than normal eye goobers). I wiped them often w/ plain warm water, and then used an opthalmic ointment, but ONLY after consulting with the vet first.