Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my cats back/behavioural problems-really worried - help!

lizzie1987
October 13th, 2007, 08:05 AM
recently we found our cat outside hunched up, stiff and sweating we took him to the vets and were told he was in immense pain and had something wrong with his back, however they are not sure what. we have been given arthritis mediaction for him, however his behaviour has changed dramatically. He keeps his head down the majority of the time, we have a set of filing cabinets in our house & he has taken to putting his head in between them and hucnching up - he stands in corners with his head down towards the wall and when he was in the way of a door i was closing - instead of moving he growled and hissed - not like him at all. His pupils seem constantly dilated & he howls a lot of the time (we presume because he is in pain). When sat on a chair he put his head down off the edge of the chair before falling off and hiding underneath, it's like a completely different cat.He is eating although he hasn't been to the toilet. He is 17 years old and apart from this is in very good condition. We are very worried about him, and as we lost our other 17 year old cat on tuesday hope it's nothing serious - but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

krdahmer
October 13th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Did the vet do xrays? Tell you what was causing the pain? And were the two cats together that whole 17 years? If so he may also be grieving and thus out of sorts. I'd be mainly concerned though with finding out what is going on with his back.

lizzie1987
October 13th, 2007, 08:23 AM
No they didn't do any x-rays - they did blood tests to rule out any kidney infections or anything like that and they came back negative, but the vets couldbt give a definate answer as to what it was- worrying really.We thought it might have had something to do with our other cat dying as we got them as kittens together, however his behaviour started the day before she was put down.

chico2
October 13th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Lizzie,I would definetly have an X-Ray done,it must be unbearable for both you and the cat if he is in so much pain:sad:
Cats mourn and miss their friends,but it would show more in moping around, not like he was in pain,if he screams and howls something bad could be going on,I have backproblems and I feel like howling sometimes.
Good luck with the poor little old guy..

roccoisus
October 13th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I don't have any advice just want to send hugs and :pray:s