Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to give cats medication

rjesak
October 13th, 2007, 06:29 AM
So my little cat Gus has a cracked nose and a bit of infection around it. I've got a liquid antibiotic and a pill steroid for him.

The liquid isn't too much of a problem - just squirt it on his clenched teeth and let him clean it up. The pill, however... I CAN give him the pill but he fights it so hard that I end up feeling like it's really traumatic for him. This little kitty has been through enough real trauma without his mommy viisiting more on him. Last night I tried crushing the pill up in some peanut butter but he still wouldn't take it. I ended up smearing it on his paws which was much less traumatic for him but I can't be sure he gets it all that way.

This cat was abused before he came to me and I don't ever want him to feel he's getting it from me too. So far he's been fine - he still comes to see me and get petted and made love to, but we've got four more days of this and it's getting worse.

Any suggestions anyone?

clm
October 13th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Some cats are easy to give pills, others are horrible. I do both dogs and cats the same. If hubby is around I have him hold the cat and I open his mouth and pop the pill as far down the throat as I can. If he licks his nose, he's swallowed it.
If I'm by myself. I put the cat on the table or the counter so I can wrap one arm around him well and then open his mouth and pop the pill in with the other hand. Been doing it for years, so no amount of hissing or squirming or whining bothers me anymore....it can be quite the challenge at first though.

Cindy

sugarcatmom
October 13th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Do you know why Gus needs the steriod? Is the cracked nose an allergy/inflammation thing? I'm just wondering if it's really necessary, especially given the fact that it's causing so much stress. You might want to talk to your vet more about it. Otherwise, you could try putting the pill into a Pill Pocket (http://www.greenies.com/en_US/products_pill_pockets.asp?). Some people have success with a Pet Piller (pill gun thingy that looks like a big syringe - your vet might have them). Make sure you chase any pills with either a syringe of water or some food to prevent Erosive Esophagitis (http://www.catinfo.org/pillingcats.htm). Here's more info on pilling a cat:

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/medicating/pill.html
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/cat_meds.asp
http://www.felinevideos.vet.cornell.edu/pill_or_capsule/full_movie.htm

Good luck, I also have a very hard time giving my cat pills (and it's not from lack of experience, he's just very difficult). I'd way rather give a cat an injection than a pill any day.

chico2
October 13th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Having to give my Rocky a pill morning and night for the rest of his life,the only way he will take it is for me to crush it in a 1/4 teaspoon of canned food,when he's licked everything up I give him the rest of the food.
Putting a whole pill in his food,did not work,he just spits it out and he is very combatant if I even try to put it down his throat.

rjesak
October 13th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks so much for the advice. I can, of course, give him the pill logistically, but it's just so hard on him. He's really afraid of me now and runs away when I go to pet him or love him. It's just too traumatic for him to do it this way.

I think I will have another conversation with the vet. I know she said I could get him a liquid steroid and that's much easier to give (they didn't have it available and I didn't realize how hard the pill would be on him). I'm not sure why he needs both the AB and the steriod. She's not a hundred percent sure about what was wrong. The crack is an obvious problem but she's not sure what the cause is. She said that usually the kind of issue she THINKS it is usually is around the mouth and this is definitely the nose.

I only gave him the antibiotic this evening (he doesn't like it, but it's just a quick squirt in his teeth so it's not as hard on him).

I just recently (three days ago) started giving my cans canned food in the mornings (testing different varieties) and, as yet, he has yet to eat more than two bites of it. It's odd because he's as excited as the other cats when I start preparing it but he never eats more than a tiny bit. He does seem to be eating dry food but he's not drinking as much water as he should be either. I wasn't going to pull the dry food until I had settled on a canned food variety but I think I might have to since I can't really make him drink...

Ah well, now I'm upsetting myself by worrying about him. He doesn't seem too miserable except about what his mommy is doing to him. Hopefully everything will sort itself out.

rjesak
October 14th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Well, it's decided. If the vet is insistant about the steroid, I'll get the liquid form. I dropped the steroid this weekend and just continued the liquid antibiotic. He doesn't LOVE the AB squirted in his mouth but it's over in half a second so there's no trauma. He lets me love him and hold him and pet him again (he wouldn't let me near him yesterday).

He's also drinking water again and his nose looks much better. Yay!!!

chico2
October 15th, 2007, 06:32 AM
That's great:pray:for a beautiful little nose in no time:cat: