Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another season

clm
October 13th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Well, it's cold enough now, I've put up the bird feeders. I can't leave them up all summer, the grackles kill off the house finch youngsters if I summer feed, so the feeders go up in October and come down once it's warmed up enough in the spring. Been feeding the birds for over 20 years and I get quite the variety here. I go through between 50 and 100lbs of seed a week :laughing:. It looks like the movie the birds when I get home from work around 4:00. They've emptied the feeders and are waiting for their dinner. :laughing: I love watching the birds though, counted 13 cardinals here one year. They're supposed to be territorial and not tolerate each other, but come winter and given lots of choices for feeders I guess they get more tolerant. I'm sure the pond helps attract the birds too, water sources in winter are important.
Makes we want to get the digital SLR camera now, I love getting pics of the birds and a new camera with a lens I can change is just the ticket:p

Cindy

krdahmer
October 13th, 2007, 08:12 AM
I have all my feeders set up so that my kitties have a good view... and I have never heard of those darn grackles hurting finches! :eek: Good to know, I have those finch feeding 'socks' and had a LOT of finches this year (even had to have a funeral for one who keeled over under the feeders)... and I get those annoying grackles by the truckload! They seem to only come around a few times though, as our dump is where they usually hang out, the field next to the dump is black with them sometimes.

I really like to sit under the canapy I got this spring and watch the birds and squirrels and I love to listen to the kitties chatter at them through the window.

Oh and the other day I watched two blue jays take all of the peanuts I put out and take them elsewhere (maybe stocking up)... they had a mound of them gone in under an hour!! Poor squirrels gotta be quick around here....

My husband whines that we already spend enough feeding the cats, but I can't help it, I like to make sure all the little critters get a good meal.

Well happy bird watching! :D

Lukka'sma
October 13th, 2007, 09:07 AM
I love to bird watch. Along with the regular seeds I like to put up suet too for the woodpeckers.
Yesterday for the first time this year I saw the White-breasted Nuthatch's working their way down the pear tree. Couldn't get a picture of them but will try again

mummummum
October 13th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Are grackles small and all black with a little bit of colour (yellow and red ?) at their neck ? Make sure to post some pics so we non-birders can keep up with you!

hazelrunpack
October 13th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Grackles are about robin-size, but sleeker, black, with black/bronze/purple/green irridescence colors on the head. The tail is long and sort of v-shaped in profile. They have an unmusical song...and they can be a pest at feeders, but they are sort of pretty if you can get a good look at one. :D They've likely all migrated south. They started coming through here a few weeks back...

hazelrunpack
October 13th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Are grackles small and all black with a little bit of colour (yellow and red ?) at their neck ? Make sure to post some pics so we non-birders can keep up with you!

I have no idea what you're seeing--sounds interesting, though... How about you postin' some pics of the little darlin's, MMM :D Black with a little read and yellow at the neck? What color is the belly? Black also? :confused:

SnowDancer
October 13th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I wonder how your pups will react to all of the birds. My Eskimo used to reserve his prey instinct for squirrels etc., until the fateful day when what appeared to be a hundred birds followed us down the street and three landed on his bum and tail. Now he is a "bird" dog - and would have a heart attack if I put up a feeder I am sure. Actually, it was kind of scary - and Eskies love to protect their Mom's - from behind - after doing the alert thing.

clm
October 13th, 2007, 10:22 PM
The pups run over to investigate if the birds get noisy. They're not barking at them at least. The chickadees are coming mainly to the sunflower seed feeder and they don't get bothered by much. Cute little things.
Took me a long time to figure out what was killing my house finches a few summers ago. Kept finding bodies without heads, thought at first it was one of the outdoor cats, but spotted the grackles in the act from an upstairs window. The young housefinches didn't consider them a threat so they stayed under the feeder, easy prey for the grackles. I haven't fed during the summer since. Grackles are rather pretty, their shiny black with the blueish, purplish, greenish sheen around their neck. Too bad they're so vicious. They've left now, so it's safe to put the feeders out.
I'll be trying to get some chickadee pics tomorrow.

Cindy