Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

whats a good breed 4 me?

kibbles
May 25th, 2004, 01:56 PM
:) dose anyone know what kind of dog i sould get?i live with a 4,3year old a teen,and 2 adults we need a good family dog that is not extremaly demanding,has good temperment.i would prefer a pure bred and not a terrier.

Bill & Bob
May 25th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Somewhere on this site, you can do a test where they ask you all sorts of questions about what kind of dog you should be looking for. I think it was on this site. Maybe not.

Just consider it to be a suggestion though. I did it and they said I should get a poodle or some other fluff dog. Damn test. Trying to make me a laughing stock or something. Felt like they were questioning my maleness. Maybe I should put a pretty ribbon on Bob's ears or something...

On a serious note, the test did discuss different breeds need for excercise, ability to cope with kids, apartment vs. house living, etc. At least it gives you some idea of what you need to consider.

Bill & Bob
May 25th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Plus, don't ever not consider a mutt from a shelter. When you have a gene pool that's an actual pool, and not the murky puddle you get with a purebread you end up with a more even tempered poochie.

Lots and lots of good family dogs at the shelters that need a home for a variety of reasons. Might even get a dog that is already awesome with kids, but the parents had to move and couldn't keep the dog.

I even heard of dogs that were given up to the shelter when people got divorced. Couldn't figure that one out. What? One of them couldn't take the dog? If that's their thinking, maybe the dog is better off without them anyway.

chico2
May 25th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Billy-Bob,I actually did that test-thingy when my son got his Jack Russel,he lives in a one-bedroom condo and the answers for him was to under no circumstances get a JR.Well,he already had her and payed the price,she ate coffe-tables,jeans,shoes anything she could put her teeth into,while my son was working.She's older now and a little bit calmer,but not by much....NOT an apartment dog :D

heidiho
May 25th, 2004, 03:35 PM
I want to see the test..Did you find it yet??

Lucky Rescue
May 25th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Before suggesting a breed, we need to know your lifestyle. Are you very active - cycling, running, etc. or are you couch potatoes? Is someone home during the day? Do you have a fenced yard?

cutelittlemako
May 25th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Well a good way to figure this out is to find out what you don't want. Eliminating some breeds will help you out a lot!. Do you want a big, small, medium dog? What kind of activities do you want to do with your dog? If you have young children, exercising the dog everyday would probably be hard sometimes. Some small dogs require little exercise, but are nippy with children, therefore not a great idea. Some breeds are more of a grumpy type (Chow-Chow, Sharpeis... - I am generally speaking, not all individuals of the breed will be that way) Labs are great with kids (although sometimes rough), but require ALOT of exercise. You also want a dog that you can trust around children (still, you should never leave children unsupervised around any dog). 3 or 4 year old children tend to be rough around pets, so you also need to decide wether you want a puppy or an adult dog. Puppies can get used to a child's touch, but then again some adult dogs are great with children too. Just try to figure out what you don't want, and you'll probably end up with a very specific list of things you want. I know my aunt had a dog that was great in all aspects (we called it a mini colley, but I think the really name is a Shelty - those who know what I'm talking about will correct me :) ) She was awesome with children and listened so well, she learned tricks very easily. She was very gentle -a great dog!!

You also have to think about the budget, kids are expensive, and dogs can be too - food, training, accessories (leashes, collars, bowls, cleaning supplies, grooming supplies), vet bills (expected costs and unexpected ones)... there is alot to think about.

Good luck with your search!

If you want a purebred, you can also check out specific breed rescues, those are great too!

mrkitty@greenep
May 25th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Hi Kibbles... ;) I have a Black and White Springer Spaniel....he has been great with my sons and with my neices and nephews. Springers can be a little hyper and they love to run and play outside and in the water. I have also known Labs and Retreivers to be very good for children and adults. Good luck on your pet hunting....Let us know how it turns out :) JENN

Princesss04
May 26th, 2004, 09:15 AM
I did that test on this website, I do not remember where though it was neat to see the differant breeds that would work good with your lifestyle. I did it for cats though. I will try to think of where I saw that I want to say on an adoption site but I am not for sure. :D Good luck with finding a dog, I would love to help but I am not a dog owner just a cat owner! :)

kibbles
May 26th, 2004, 01:46 PM
i absolutly love spaniles but i have been told many times that they tend to have ear problems and are more costly to look after ''medicaly''is this true?

kibbles
May 26th, 2004, 01:49 PM
do you think a dalmation would be an ok choice?

cutelittlemako
May 26th, 2004, 01:54 PM
I have never had a Dalmatian, but I have not heard good things about them. There were a lot a problems after the 101... dalmatians movies came out. I think they are very hyperactive dogs, and not very good with children. A lot of the dogs that were purchased for kids after the movies came out ended up in shelters and rescues (how awful), so if you are considering this breed - be careful.

kibbles
May 26th, 2004, 01:57 PM
thanks for the info ,i wont get a dalmation then.

mona_b
May 26th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Well if you can answer about your family life,then we can take it from there.... :D

cutelittlemako
May 26th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Well, i'm not saying that you shouldn't get one, just be sure that you can handle one - so he doesn't end up being a burden. You can check out the breed profiles on this homepage (on the left of the screen), if you want more info, they are very detailed, and give out the right info, but in a brief way. Great for people who are not sure what they are looking for. But if you're not sure what you want, you should consider a rescue! They make awesome dogs, and you can still get them when they are puppies if that's what you want!

melanie
May 26th, 2004, 05:21 PM
there is a great number of tests on the web for this. the RSPCA of australia have a really good one, google will find it for you, ahhh google my friend :D

LavenderRott
May 28th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Plus, don't ever not consider a mutt from a shelter. When you have a gene pool that's an actual pool, and not the murky puddle you get with a purebread you end up with a more even tempered poochie.

Lots and lots of good family dogs at the shelters that need a home for a variety of reasons. Might even get a dog that is already awesome with kids, but the parents had to move and couldn't keep the dog.

I even heard of dogs that were given up to the shelter when people got divorced. Couldn't figure that one out. What? One of them couldn't take the dog? If that's their thinking, maybe the dog is better off without them anyway.

WOW! I am sure that all of the mutts in the shelters across the country will thank you for that! Since there are o many of them, we better start clearing some land for that dead dog landfill.

Unless you are going to find a breed, study it and I do mean STUDY, spend time looking for a responsible COE breeder then you have no idea of what "gene pool" your purebred dog is coming from. I have seen many "pure bred" dogs that have plenty of problems both physically and mentally.

I have seen many families perfectly happy with the family mutt. I also think that a family getting a dog for the first time, should check out their local shelter. You never know what you might find.

P.S. I'm Back!

Darkseeker
May 28th, 2004, 09:18 AM
I have young kids...

I am also raising my second sheltie (Shetland Sheepdog or Mini collie)
They are great with kids, I mean really great. They are smart, gentle and just full of love.

They can be barkers, but mine are pretty quiet because i have not ecouraged it from a young age. They are easy to train.

One inconvenience i can see it the hair!! they tend to lose alot.

Here is a pic of my pup Toby.
http://www.c22.org/toby2.jpg

mona_b
May 28th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Welcome back Sandi........... :D

You miss read what Billy Bob said.He said don't ever not consider a mutt from a shelter.He did not say don't ever consider a mutt from a shelter.He was stating to look at shelters.....

Just had to clarify that..... :D

Lucky Rescue
May 28th, 2004, 10:09 AM
I just have to recommend one of my favorite breeds - the greyhound! :D

There are many greyhound rescues around, and they can get you the perfect dog for your situation.

Greyhound are - in general - docile, affectionate, sweet and quiet. They are also known to be very tolerant of kids, and are classified as a non-biting breed. Of course, children must be supervised with any dog, and taught how to treat a dog gently.

They are couch potatoes who don't need tons of running. One or two good runs a week, along with daily walking, will be enough.

The downside to owning a greyhound is that you can NEVER let it off leash outside of a safe area.

mona_b
May 28th, 2004, 10:20 AM
LR,they are a beautiful breed.And so very gentle.

There is a couple(with little ones)who rescued 2 of them.I see them every so often.They are so very well behaved.Mom pushes the stroller,daughter is about 2,dad walks the dogs on his left while he holds his 6 year old sons hand..They don't pull or lunge.VERY well behaved..... :D

Chany
May 28th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Kibbles do you want a small or big dog? One that sheds or doesn't?
We have both a shih tzu and a Rottie. Both are excellent with our kids. My youngest was 2 when we got our shih tzu. He had to be taught to be careful with her but she loves everyone equally. They are definitely a family dog!
Is this your first dog? Do you have a breed you prefer but are worried about?

Edited to say Hey Sandi! Welcome back! Where's your partner in crime?
Carina? :D

kibbles
May 28th, 2004, 11:53 AM
this would be my first dog . i dont want it to shed im looking for a medium size
thats good with children.

kibbles
May 28th, 2004, 11:55 AM
i like ''mutts'' but you dont know what your getting well enough.

LavenderRott
May 28th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Well, 99% of dog breeds shed. Poodles don't, but be prepared for grooming bills. A Mexican Hairless won't shed either.

Best dog I ever had as far as biddablity and gentleness with my children (besides my beloved Chase) was a wonderful terrier mix that was a pound find.

In all honesty, you never know for sure what you are getting. You can hedge the odds in your favor by carefully selecting a breed and a breeder. You better your odds a bit more by finding the best trainer you can and a really good vet.

Ultimately though, the amount of time you put in socializing and training will have the biggest impact on how your puppy grows into a dog.

kibbles
May 28th, 2004, 12:41 PM
when i say i dont want it to shed i mean not alot

Chany
May 28th, 2004, 02:11 PM
In some cases "mutts" are way more intelligent than purebreds. :D Never say never kibbles you might tour a SPCA and fall in love. :D As long as they know what breeds are involved sometimes you get the best of both. ;)

Bill & Bob
May 28th, 2004, 02:15 PM
WOW! I am sure that all of the mutts in the shelters across the country will thank you for that! Since there are o many of them, we better start clearing some land for that dead dog landfill.

Unless you are going to find a breed, study it and I do mean STUDY, spend time looking for a responsible COE breeder then you have no idea of what "gene pool" your purebred dog is coming from. I have seen many "pure bred" dogs that have plenty of problems both physically and mentally.

I have seen many families perfectly happy with the family mutt. I also think that a family getting a dog for the first time, should check out their local shelter. You never know what you might find.

P.S. I'm Back!

Whoa! Yeah, don't forget the "don't not consider a mutt" part. Thanks for pointing that out Mona. I wrote a very akward (spelling?) sentence. I used a stupid double negative looking back, which can get confusing. Yeah, I meant MUTTS ARE A GOOD THING. DEFINITELY. That's what I meant with the larger gene pool part. Not as much inbreeding, if any at all. Tends to result in a better behaved poochie.

I'm a huge advocate of the "heinz 57" dog. Usually results in a good conversation piece when you run into other dogs too. 'What breed is he?'

And yup Lavender Rott, I agree that the personality of the owner usually rubs off on the dog. You roll the dice if you take a dog from a breeder or a shelter. That's why Bob is clumzy, funny, runs into things, etc.

Dead dog landfill. Yeesh. That brought up some horrible imagery. I don't even want to think about that.

LavenderRott
May 28th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Sorry. This kids are all out of school today, so there is nooooooooo quiet for me and I kind of read your post fast.

Bill & Bob
May 28th, 2004, 02:21 PM
No worries. Like I said, I wrote a poorly written sentence. I saw your original post and read that the mutts would be thankfull to me. I thought "Aww, that's so nice." Then the next sentence about the landfill, and I was thinking 'why would we ever want to start doing that because the mutts are happy with me?' Then it clicked what happened.
Kids out of school eh? Yeesh. The guy upstairs is babysitting three holy terrors today. Bob keeps looking up at the ceiling wondering what the hell herd of beasts is passing through.

mastifflover
May 28th, 2004, 03:35 PM
I am all for the rescue or a mutt they are great dogs if you want a medium sized pure bred that is great and does not shed and is very unterrier like is the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. Very sweet dog good with kids and not hyper

cutelittlemako
May 29th, 2004, 03:53 PM
On the Purina Website, there is a questionnaire called "Dog Chooser". It asks a series of questions about what you would like in a dog (grooming, obedience, learning, dominance, exercise, size...) and matches you up with dogs. Now the good thing about this is, there are 160 dog breeds in their repertoire, and the put the 160 in order from best to worst, according to your selections. On your list, you can also view all of the breeds profiles.

It is a purina site, so in the questionnaire there are questions about feeding the dog, which to me look more like a survey, and doesn't really have anything to do with chosing a dog breed.

But overall, it's pretty good! When I did it, it said that I should have a Pitbull, which surprised me because I didn't even think the breed would be on there.

kibbles
June 9th, 2004, 01:51 PM
i ended up actually finding a stray rough collie yestarday,im going to see ifi can find the owners but if i dont then ill keep it.

LavenderRott
June 9th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Do some research on line and learn about the breed. If you keep it, make sure you spay or neuter. Then go buy some brushes - you are going to need them.

heidiho
June 9th, 2004, 04:36 PM
UH!!! Arent you the same guy that let his gerbil die???????????????????//

Lucky Rescue
June 9th, 2004, 05:54 PM
A 5$ gerbil is not worthy of medical care, so what about this dog who is free?

If you have no intention of spending money on pets that are not expensive, I suggest you try and find another home for this collie and go and buy a puppy. If you have to pay a large price, maybe you'll take better care of it.

glasslass
June 9th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Get a stuffed animal. They thrive on neglect and never require vet visits. And your kids can maul them all they want without getting bit. No shedding! You don't even have to buy food for them!

Karin
June 9th, 2004, 07:56 PM
I can mourn for a stuffed animal, believe me...

If the great Gerbil, caring animal lover lived alone, I would suggest getting a king cobra as a pet at let it roam free while you sleep. Let it coil under your pillow..

Cuddle with care..

mona_b
June 9th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Get a stuffed animal. They thrive on neglect and never require vet visits. And your kids can maul them all they want without getting bit. No shedding! You don't even have to buy food for them!

ROTFLMFAO.

That's just to funny............ :D

chico2
June 9th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Ladies,you got spunk,I am proud of you :D
and you are sooo right!!

kibbles
June 10th, 2004, 01:35 PM
i found the owner so never mind ...if i bought a dog i would obviously be putting more money in it than a gerbil . the rest of the family will defanatly not do with a stuffed animal.

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 01:37 PM
I still dont get it,so what happend to the gerbil??? how did it die??

kibbles
June 10th, 2004, 01:44 PM
never mind ( it was extreamly hummane)

heidiho
June 10th, 2004, 01:46 PM
okee!! dokee!!

Electric_Mutt
June 14th, 2004, 01:42 PM
i know who kibblez is and she let kibbles go by letting him go free in her back yard for his last moments..... :(

heidiho
June 14th, 2004, 01:50 PM
ok!!!! So what he just died while running in backyard.....Still makes no sense...

kibbles
June 14th, 2004, 01:59 PM
i guess he cud still b alive

heidiho
June 14th, 2004, 02:01 PM
OK,whatever you are probably some lonely old man,get a life buddy...

Lucky Rescue
June 14th, 2004, 02:20 PM
kibbles, I know that you are ALSO "Electric Mutt". Do not use different identities or you will be banned.

So you are saying you put the poor gerbil outside to die or be killed by a cat or any other animal who finds it? That may be excusable if you were 8 years old, but you say you are a teenager who should have more sense.

Since you also say the amount of care an animal gets depends on how much it cost you, I really hope you don't get any more pets until you learn some responsibility.

chico2
June 14th, 2004, 03:34 PM
I cannot believe it,what an incredibly cruel human being you must be :(
Lets hope you'll never again be allowed to own a pet,you are one twisted person :mad:

heidiho
June 14th, 2004, 04:09 PM
A chia pet is a good breed for you///////////

Karin
June 14th, 2004, 04:19 PM
It is very obvious school is out for the summer.

kibbles
June 14th, 2004, 06:13 PM
electric mutt is not me (i swear).and as i have said on another forum im not going to get another pet,are you happy now :mad: and it was my mum who was the one who actually let it free because i was to busy crying!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :( :( :(

kibbles
June 14th, 2004, 06:14 PM
sorry if i let my temper get the best of me. :o

Lucky Rescue
June 14th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Can you at least get one story straight? So you and Electric mutt are taking turns posting on YOUR computer, and you both have the same spelling and grammar?

And Electric Mutt was lying about you putting your sick pet outside to fend for itself?

Haven't you got anything better to do than this?

kibbles
June 14th, 2004, 06:39 PM
now that i just read over all the threads i have made i dont know if i wanna go one this website any more because you people obviosly hate me and think im some kind of liar.i just want to let all of you know that i love animals and i think of myself as a horride person now and i should not have let my mom go through with letting my gerbil go free,thank you for putting some sense back in me and bringing out the animal obsesed person i really am.and as a reqest please stop saying him,he,guy cuz im a girl. :( :( :(

kibbles
June 14th, 2004, 06:41 PM
we use the school computer system and we werent on the same comp, how can the story not be straight?

Karin
June 14th, 2004, 06:45 PM
My opinion? Too much time has been spent babysitting these kids which do not have any constructive activities set aside by their parents because...1.) The parent(s) is also trying to hold down a job to put food on the table for these spoiled heathens.
2.) The parent(s) really do not give a rat's ass what their kid's are doing as long as they do not get a call @ 3am to bail out of jail one of the said heathens.
3.) ..or these bored brats are stealing time from mommy & daddy's computer, seen this alot elsewhere this time of year.

kibbles
June 14th, 2004, 06:49 PM
what do you mean at this time of the year? :confused:

kibbles
June 14th, 2004, 06:52 PM
and just 2 let u know im on a lbrary computer.also i come on this website and not any others because i love animals yes you heard me , i love animals

Luba
June 14th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Save it for someone who'll believe you!

Spoiled
June 14th, 2004, 09:39 PM
i should not have let my mom go through with letting my gerbil go free

NOW you aren't making sense. What do you mean you 'let your mom go through' with letting your gerbil outside!? If you loved animals you'd have stopped your mom. :mad:

theplainsjane
June 14th, 2004, 09:59 PM
If you work with a reputable rescue organization, they'll have you fill out the application and will match an appropriate dog to you. This is good for a lot of reasons. Most rescue dogs have been in foster care, being cared for by an experienced dog owner who knows all the ins and outs of dog ownership and behavior. They can alert you to any problems the dog has, what its strong points are. Plus, you can certainly get a pure bred dog this way. If someone else has posted this, I apologize for the double advice. I'm so tired, I only made it through about half of the posts on this topic. You guys have been talkative! Anyway, Kibbles, good luck! Let us know what you decide on.

(added later) Oh, my. I'm caught up now. Kibbles, having a dog is a big responsibility and I hope that when you get one, you're ready for it. It can be very rewarding, but dogs are very expensive and very time consuming--if you don't spend your time and money on them, they turn out to be not very good dogs that are not enjoyable to have around. That's no fun for anybody involved, especially the dog. Just to give you an estimate, I have a pure bred black lab puppy named Ellie who admittedly came from a backyard breeder. She was free to a good home and the last puppy left. I couldn't resist her. She's almost nine months old and she has a sparkling personality. Her vet bills are close to $1500 now, due to maintaining her vaccinations, her spay and x-rays and then treatment of her hips for dysplasia. At nine months old, she's fairly well housetrained, but not 100% reliable. I love her dearly, but it's been a big commitment, and I admit that I was even a bit overwhelmed by it at first. But let me say, she's a *wonderful* dog and is 100% worth the time and money I've spent on her. But you should know that it takes a lot of time and a fair amount of money. Still and all, good luck if you do get a dog, to you and the animal both. Just please be responsible. :)

Lucky Rescue
June 14th, 2004, 10:39 PM
That's a very good post, plainsjane! People must understand there is no such thing as a "free" dog, especially when it comes from a careless backyard breeder, as you have so sadly found out.

Your dog is lucky to have you, when you are so committed to the responsibility you have undertaken. I just wish more people were like you.

My rescued dog - badly bred no doubt - also cost me over 1000$ in vet bills. For that money I could have gotten two dogs with impeccable pedigrees, but I love my girl and she is so worth it!:)

Karin
June 15th, 2004, 06:06 AM
I must echo what LR is saying here. I would never think of "trading" Ciara, with all her ills for any other healthy, problem free dog. Ciara has cost me many thounsands of dollars over the past 5 years and continues to cost $$ to keep her happy and pain free...I work for her well being.

Her devotion to me and her personality can never be matched again with any other dog.

chico2
June 15th, 2004, 07:20 AM
I agree,excellent advice!!! The problem with Kibbles,he/she is a teenager,who probably thinks it would be cool to have a dog,his mom capable of leaving a sick Gerbil outside doomed to a certain painful death,would probably not agree.
We've had many situations where dogs/cats have been left to an uncertain future,because mom or dad did not want it in the first place.
All of us here know,proper care of an animal costs money,things go wrong,animals get sick and at least in my opinion,a tiny(gerbil) or large animal makes no difference,they deserve a good life.
Kibbles has through his/her writing proven to be immature and does not seem to understand the responsabilitys of pet-ownership and does not have the funds to make sure a new puppy will get the care he needs.
What would happen,should mom decide he sheds too much,pees all over??
Would he too be put out to pasture?
No,Kibbles should wait a few years until he's mature and has his own income,maybe then he'll make a good,loving dog-owner.

theplainsjane
June 15th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Okay, Ellie's at about $1540 now. She recently converted my hair dryer to a cordless model and since it isn't designed to work that way, I imagine it'll have to be replaced!

I love the mutts. I would have gotten one if my father hadn't called to tell me about Ellie. I knew she'd be expensive, but I didn't realize quite how much. Good luck with everyone's puppies!

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 11:07 AM
This idiot could not possibly even be a teenager,no way............. :confused: :confused:

Karin
June 15th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Do not let the Kibbles kook fool ya with the mom/gerbil excuse. Kibbles first stated that he/she "got rid of it". When the board turned up the heat and flamed his/hers sorry ass it was easy to blame someone else.

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Iknow,none of his storied make snese,i cant believe people get on here and do that stuff,what a lonely future jeffery dahmer.............

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Oops,bad Spelling,.

Karin
June 15th, 2004, 12:06 PM
That's weird, I almost posted the other day an association with Jeffery Dahmer to this Kibbles person...if the shoe fits, and it clearly does. Scary...

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Great minds think alike,i have read enough books on serial killers and it ALWAYS starts off with being cruel to animals...............at a young age..........It is scary.........

cutelittlemako
June 15th, 2004, 12:09 PM
That's a very mean thing to say... Jeff Dahmer's animal problems were MUCH WORSE than letting a gerbil go behind a house!

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 12:10 PM
I dont think it is mean,gerbil,dog they are all living,breathing creatues...............

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Jeffery dahmer started by killing dogs............Read about him...

cutelittlemako
June 15th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Sweetie, I have a bachelor's degree in criminology, and I'm in law school right now - i probably know more about Jeffery Dahmer than you do. Jeffery was abnormally brutal to animal! He also had many other problems (namely - family problems, enuresis (bed wetting), pyromania...) I have a library worth over 10,000$ with books about criminals, biographies and other reference books, in my house!

Maybe you should read up on him!

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 12:34 PM
ok!! SUGAR,is this becoming an agruement,good for you and your degree,yeah i know he had lost of other issues also,not here to argue,i am done with the know it alls,But being as you are so smart then you do know that pretty much all serial killers have abusive tendencies to animals,please dont write back to me,dont need your attitude,thought this was a civilized conversation.....Dont need the attitude..........

cutelittlemako
June 15th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Why do you always assume people are giving you an attitude.

Karin
June 15th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Sweetie, I have a bachelor's degree in criminology, and I'm in law school right now - i probably know more about Jeffery Dahmer than you do. Jeffery was abnormally brutal to animal! He also had many other problems (namely - family problems, enuresis (bed wetting), pyromania...) I have a library worth over 10,000$ with books about criminals, biographies and other reference books, in my house!

Maybe you should read up on him!

Dahmer was one of the evilest nut cases to ever walk this planet. The thought that any human can have such a tendency to inflict such a gruesome crime against another human still gives me nightmares.
Any human that abuses animals or their fellow man in such a way as Dahmer did, less or more, is capable of doing the same.
So, if this kid grows up and is not satisfied with killing small animals, what's next? The possibilties are endless and scary.
I saw an association...that's why Dahmer came to mind...unfortunately so do many others. Evil kids can and will grow up to be evil adults if not stopped. Thank God Dahmer is dead.

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Well the saying sweetie is my first clue,and telling me about all your degrees like i am dumb and just because i read about them and dont have a degree i dont know,if i am wrong about the attitude i apologize.............

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 12:40 PM
And saying you know more about dahmer than i do,come on you know you were being a smart ass.Thank you Karin you said it perfectly..

cutelittlemako
June 15th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Sorry I call everyone sweetie (even my pup) - but not people I don't like. I guess when you read stuff over the internet, it's hard to get the tone of the message.

I didn't want to come out looking like I thought I was all smart - it's just that you wrote that I should read about him! So I wanted to explain that I know him and many other serial killers pretty well.

And to clarify things. Research on serial killers showed that to be an issue animal cruelty has to be done in conjuction with other problematic behaviors (such as pyromania...). Don't get me wrong, animal cruelty is a VERY BIG problem that should be dealt with at a young age, but to say that someone might become a serial killer - I find that a bit harsh.

Just my opinion.

cutelittlemako
June 15th, 2004, 12:46 PM
See you're the one confronting me - calling me a smart ass.

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 12:47 PM
No,it was harsh i agree,and i am sorry then,some people do call people that,and your right over the internet,you cant get a tone of voice...Again sorry to clm...

glasslass
June 15th, 2004, 01:12 PM
There is a huge difference between someone who neglects or abandons animals out of lack of responsibility, maturity, compassion, ignorance, self-interest, and someone who tortures, mutilates, and kills animals for a warped sense of pleasure or sexual gratification.

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 01:18 PM
I said i know that was harsh,and i also apologized to clm,lets drop it...........

Luba
June 15th, 2004, 01:28 PM
I need to go get some popcorn, this movie is interesting!

Jeff D's life ended painfully, the way he tortured many others.
I had an interesting experience one day at work a few years ago.

A man, looking to be a CLONE of Jeff D walked right by me, and with those killer type eyes glazed over and stared as he walked slowly by, like in slow motion.

I thought I was gonna drop a load in my pants.

Since that day , I always felt there perhaps was a coverup about his death because I'm telling you.....I felt evil from this man. I was frozen stiff looking at him as he glared at me and left the store.

YUP

cutelittlemako
June 15th, 2004, 01:38 PM
At least Dahmer was good looking! Imagine seeing Richard Ramirez coming at you! I would just die!

Poor Luba! I'm pretty sure Dahmer is dead, but if it would have been me, I would have Karate chopped him (even though I don't know Karate :D ) just to be sure.

kibbles
June 15th, 2004, 01:47 PM
wouldyou please stopcalling me he becauseim a nice animalLOVING girl and you aremaking me feelguilty again !! please can you fogive me for letting my mum do it!!!! :mad:

kibbles
June 15th, 2004, 01:49 PM
andi cant belive someone would be crulenough to kill a innocent dog!

Bitz
June 15th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Kibbles is my best friend she is a teenager and she isn't two members on this site and her MOM did let her gerbil outside and if you think she is lying then you are pretty STUPID!!! she has been telling the truth you are just ignorant!!!

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 01:55 PM
I cant belive this,a teenager,no way,with spelling like that and the immature things you guys say,whatever..

Bitz
June 15th, 2004, 01:57 PM
excuse me i have fine spelling i get 90% in L.A.

kibbles
June 15th, 2004, 01:58 PM
you obviously have something against teenagers and i would apreciate if you would not call me immature.plezz tell me all these spelling errors because i must be missing something.

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Now you are under bitz??? What happend to your other log in name??

glasslass
June 15th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Why is it that when a psychopath is good looking, it always seems to make them seem even more twisted and demented? Is it because the evilness is internal and the outside masks it? We aren't as suspicious and when it comes out, we are more surprised and shocked. Maybe feel more vulnerable because we start becoming aware we can't really always trust our instincts? :eek:

cutelittlemako
June 15th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Kibbles and Bitz... How cute.

O.K. so this is a free world so I think that *you guys* have a right to come to this site to check out the info that is posted. However, in respect to others that use this post, maybe you should limit your posts. Most members here are adults, and those who are not, certainly act mature enough to be. So your way of thinking does not necesserily mesh with ours (or most of us anyways). It doesn't mean you're a bad person, maybe you should just be a little more caution next time you think of getting an animal. Get more info on the pet and save extra money for vet bills before getting the animal - so if your pet unfortunately does have some medical problems, you'll be prepared!

Also, it's understandable that you might like animals but nor your mom - that's why you have to be mature enough to be able to take care of the animal in all aspects of his life.

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Well if you are a teenager,obivously your parents will have to support the animal,so maybe you shouldnt be getting one,if they are not..

Goldenmom
June 15th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Exactly why is everyone wasting their time and energy on this post??

Heather

Karin
June 15th, 2004, 02:17 PM
At least Dahmer was good looking! Imagine seeing Richard Ramirez coming at you! I would just die!

Poor Luba! I'm pretty sure Dahmer is dead, but if it would have been me, I would have Karate chopped him (even though I don't know Karate :D ) just to be sure.

A good nut chop would suffice. Parking lot neutering service...

Good idea is to leave this thread alone...I can deal better with non-fiction.

I do not watch any horror movies because life is scarey enough for me.

Luba
June 15th, 2004, 02:20 PM
CLM ur funny!

however Karin the lot neutering woulda been a good idear!

Rusty old scissors!

Karin
June 15th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Okay, I am slow..geesh you guy's type fast!

I'll catch up on my reading later....

When the children are asleep.....or should be.

Lucky Rescue
June 15th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Exactly why is everyone wasting their time and energy on this post??

Agree. Kibbles, Bitz, Electric_mutt (and whatever else you want to call yourself) please go to the playground if you want to play.

Please don't feed the trolls, everyone!