Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update: Surgery on Dogs Paw

akendell
October 12th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I posted about 2 months ago asking if anyone had experience with a dog receiving surgery for a puncture wound in the dog's back paw, which seemed to heal fine, but later a wound that would not heal above the dog's pad (wrist/ankle of dogs leg) appeared. This wound would not heal and it was recommended to us by our vet that a second surgery be preformed to see if there was any foreign body not removed in the first surgery. We went ahead with the second surgery about 3 weeks ago - and there has been no change. The stitches were removed about 1 and 1/2 weeks ago, the dog went through a round of antibiotics and has been wearing a cone collar so that she can not lick the wound. The wound that would not heal prior to the surgery has reappeared and the dog is still lame - especially so after returning from a walk (on leash only). This is very fustrating as no one can seem to tell us why the wound will not heal (even though we are told it is not infected) and why the dog is still lame. Anyone have any ideas or similar experiences?????

luckypenny
October 12th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Although I can not answer any of your questions, I can understand your frustration. By any chance, have you sought the opinion of another veterinary clinic?

akendell
October 12th, 2007, 09:00 PM
yes - we've seen 3 different vets! no consistent advice and nothing seems to work this is why we resorted to the second surgery.

breeze
October 12th, 2007, 09:03 PM
maybe if you post the question to the vet that is on the board, he might be able to shed some light on it :shrug: just IMO, it won't hurt to try

luckypenny
October 12th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Great idea Breeze :thumbs up .

You may also want to google "wound not healing dog" or something of the sort in the meantime. There seems to be a lot of info online, eg. http://www.isrvma.org/article/57_1_7.htm .