Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Whats wrong with my cat?

Ryanh
October 12th, 2007, 08:39 PM
My 5yr old indoor cat just tonight had what i would call an panic attack or maybe a seizure, never seen it before. She came running from the basement, through her cat door up stairs slipping and slidding on the laminate floors, she just ran all over the place then stopped. When she stopped she just started salivating profusely and showing her teeth like a dog would do. Her heart was going a 1000mph and if I picked her up she would jump out of my hands. This would all happen in about 20secs then back to normal. It happened twice in 1 hour.

Before taking her to the vet tomorrow should I be worried?

Ryanh
October 12th, 2007, 09:33 PM
It happened again, when she stops runnin around her face twitches and starts grooling, then back to normal.

Dracko
October 12th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Sounds like zoomies. Pretty much all cats do it. Very cute. They run like something is chasing them and can stop quickly, look around, then go ago. Guess you've just never seen your cat do it.

EDITED TO ADD: Sorry missed the "drooling" comment. That certainly does make the symptoms different.

Ryanh
October 12th, 2007, 10:06 PM
zoomies i know, both the cats do that. But this is very abnormal, just 5mins ago she was downstairs (the cat area) meowing loudly, she never meows, went downstairs and she is just starring into space, face twitching a bit and drooling badly.

Now she is normal, took the catpit out and her and the other cat were all over it, she was totally normal again.

krdahmer
October 13th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I would still take her in and get her checked out.... Fagan did that not long ago, very strange behaviour turned out he had scared himself and was having something similar to a panick attack. But if it is happening that often it could be something health wise.

chico2
October 13th, 2007, 09:03 AM
It's a bit more than Zoomies,I think,especially with salivating.
Maybe he got in to something toxic to him??
In the old days,when flea-spray was the only treatment for fleas,my then cats used to behave just like that.
My Rocky also that happen a few summers ago,he would be outside with us, then in panic run inside and collapse,salivating,very scary...
My vet came to the conclusion it was from the heat and sun,it never happened again.:pray:
It's really difficult for the vet to tell,especially since it does not happen at the vet,hopefully your guy will be ok and it's just a temporary thing.

roccoisus
October 13th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Hope you kitty is ok :pray: I was thinking when reading your post maybe a spider bite or something ? I guess the vet will tell you :grouphug:

Ryanh
October 13th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Well this morning she was having her seizure/drooling episodes closer together so we took her to the vet and she kept having them there, they also measured her heartrateat 240+. They did a check up and while doing so she again had the seizures and because she had not being eating or drinking the vet was very concerned, he concluded the only thing it could be was neurological which is what my wife and I had been thinking....explained some of her odd behavior over the years, stuff that we thought was cute...but really wasn't. Vet strongly recommened putting her down as he was very concerned that she was not eating and very likely in pain and that at the rate things are going she may not live out the next week, it was rather disturbing to see her having these seizures now 10mins apart. We were decideing what to do when while in her crate she had a massive seizure/convulsion and the vet came in and said we have to euthanize her, there is just no other option. We agreed, she was not the Mocha we knew, she was just a mess, very hard to even look at.

Certainly not an easy thing to go through thats for sure, but it was the right thing to do.

chico2
October 13th, 2007, 12:49 PM
So sorry to hear that:sad:she was just a baby at 5 yrs old:rip:little girl

beckiandthetrio
October 13th, 2007, 02:42 PM
IM so sorry to hear that. Im sure you are both devastated, especially since you had no time to even make a choice on what to do. My thoughts are with you all and I know your baby is now in a better place.

Becki

growler~GateKeeper
October 14th, 2007, 01:21 AM
:candle: :rip: sweet kitty :grouphug:

krdahmer
October 14th, 2007, 01:09 PM
:cry::grouphug: