Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my cat won't clean her own bum

miss_v
October 12th, 2007, 05:58 PM
hi all . . .

my cat, shandy, is almost two years old. we got her through a rescue shleter, she as already had a litter of kittens and has been spayed. she's had all her shots and has adapted really well to us . . . we've had her for almost 7 months.

but recently i've been noticing that she hasn't been cleaning herself after visiting the litter box. she cleans the rest of her all the time. in fact she grooms alot, she just doesn't go south. the last couple times i've noticed the poop, i've cleaned it for her. i'm afraid it could cause sores or discomfort if it continues. does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing it, or how i can encourage her to start cleaning her own bum?

thanks.:shrug:

Winston
October 12th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Honestly..I have 2 cats and have never seen them clean themselves immediately after using their litter box...they do groom but when they want to! My cats have really long hair and sometimes it does stick to the bum...Some cats will let you trim it..not mine?? But my hubby will grab them while I get out the scissors to cut out the lump..kind of gross but so true!

Cindy

Fiona's Sister
October 12th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Fiona doesn't clean back there either ... well, not that I've seen. If I'm aware of her pooping I wet a tissue with warm water and take care of it for her when she finishes. She doesn't like it much though. But, she likes to sit on my desk in front of my keyboard and on my shoulder (she's silly that way) so I'd rather her not have a dirty backside when she does so, lol. :-)

Nita

sugarcatmom
October 12th, 2007, 08:07 PM
She isn't overweight, is she? That can be an impediment for clean butts in some cats. Having said that, my cat also tends to leave his nether-regions for me to do (with a warm damp cloth, I should clarify!). But he also has a belly-licking OCD, so I just figured he's all outta spit by the time he's finished with that body part.