Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

fat kitten

kathryn
October 12th, 2007, 04:50 PM
my 10 month old kitten weighs about 11-12 pounds and her brother weighs 10. but she is all fat and he is all muscle.shes real lazy and sits around 90% of the time and the rest of the time she is eating food. she plays sometimes though.

my parents are freaking out though insisting there is something wrong with her even though i dont think there is. they want to take her to the vets because they are like "theres a tumor growing inside her 111!" or "her thyroid is messed up!!!!" even though I dont think this is true.

she also has another sister and that sister weighs 7 pounds and lives with my grandmom. shes the runt of the litter so i dont think she counts.

i feed them mostly low fat innova and innova evo canned. but we ran out like 2 weeks ago and havent had time to drive alllll the way to the special pet store to get more so they've been eating grocery store brand. yuck yuck but thats all we have for now.

do you have any advice? i dont think theres anything wrong with her other then her being a fat pig and personally feel like dragging her to the vets is only going to make her mad.

she drinks normally, poops and pees. all perfectly normal. she just likes to eat some food then go lay in the window and sleep it off.

she is spayed and this all happend after she was spayed and her momma socks is about 9-10 pounds as well so i think they are just a family of large cats.

thanks

krdahmer
October 12th, 2007, 07:25 PM
10-12 pounds is pretty normal around here... I have one at 17, who is not that fat at all, mostly muscle. I think if there are no other health symptoms other than she LOOKS fat, then just try to get her more active with interactive toys like a lazer or something to get her muscles going. :)

kathryn
October 14th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Shes normal otherwise. She just lays around alot.

She will play with the lazer light for 5-10 minutes then shes like "whatever " and goes and eats a bit of food then plops her fat self down somewhere.

Thanks.. i dont think theres anything wrong with her either

krdahmer
October 14th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Being overweight has the same health consequences as for us though, so maybe get her on a feeding schedule so you know how much she is eating. They can get diabetes and arthritis, etc and need to be in shape as much as we do.

Mine lose interest in the laser too, 10-15 min tops and then they get tired of it, so I do a few different activities throughout the day... like laser then string on a stick, then throw the mice around.

Check her body type against this charthttp://www.placervillevet.com/feline%20body%20condition.htm and thats how you tell if they are overweight, lbs alone is not a good indicator like with us, as she could be 'big boned' or have good muscle tone.