Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mr. Ally Kat, this is your lucky weekend!!

Ford Girl
October 12th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Hi everyone...I just made arrangments with MEOW Foundation, they are holding a spot for Mr. Ally Kat, I am picking up a trap tomorrow on our way back from Lake Louise, and we will try and trap him Sunday! Once we catch him, we are to bring him right in for immediate assesment and medical care. This is a no kill facility, with a quick rehomeing rate. :goodvibes:

I am so happy I could cry right now!! Honestly! The weather looks good over the next few days, I'm happy that we could possibly get him inside before winter comes. :highfive:

Wish us luck!!! I will post as soon as there is any progress, they said once he's cleaned up he will be listed on their site, am I allowed to post that link? :cat:

Here kitty kitty....let me take you to your new home...where you won't be cold or hungry or hurt again....:pray:

sugarcatmom
October 12th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Yahoo!! That's so awesome, you just made my Friday. Now that poor sweet little kitty will get to know love and warmth and tastey food ALL THE TIME. The MEOW Foundation rocks! And so do you!

krdahmer
October 12th, 2007, 08:12 PM
:thumbs up:thumbs up:highfive::grouphug::D

Frenchy
October 12th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Mr. Ally Kat is sure lucky to have met you !!! :thumbs up Good luck on trapping him :fingerscr he is food motivated right ?

krdahmer
October 12th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Mr. Ally Kat is sure lucky to have met you !!! :thumbs up Good luck on trapping him :fingerscr he is food motivated right ?

Oh silly Frenchy.... aren't we ALL food motivated?!?! :rolleyes::laughing::laughing:

Frenchy
October 12th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Oh silly Frenchy.... aren't we ALL food motivated?!?! :rolleyes::laughing::laughing:

na ah , not me :angel: ok maybe with cheesecake ... or chocolate cake .... or sea food .... or cheesecake , did I mention cheesecake ? :rolleyes:

I'm thinking sardines for Mr. Ally Kat :cloud9:

otter
October 12th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Cats like cheesecake too! That's why I buy it!! Hmmm maybe I need to go and get some, see if it will help my kitty dilema:laughing::offtopic:

Lucky Mr. Ally Kat! you sure had a nose for the right house to stumble upon when you weren't feeling good. :goodvibes::goodvibes: for a long and loved life. And lots of :grouphug::grouphug: and :thumbs up for Ford Girl for being such an :angel:

kashtin's kin
October 12th, 2007, 09:41 PM
As you can see, Mr. Alley Kat has a few fans on here...and we appreciate what you've done thus far, of course. Goodgood luck with the livetrapping! Has the MEOW Foundation or anyone else given you trapping tips? Alley Cat Allies has some good ones i.e. put some cardboard on the floor of the trap (can't interfere with the 'trip' mechanism, though), also rub the trap with catnip...

Hopefully the trap you're using will be disinfected from the previous use; also gets rid of the 'other' cat scents. I've been lucky enough to nab most of my ferals (only 6ish, so far!) on the first try, with stinky salmon/tuna/mackeral as a lure. With more canny cats, feral experts have suggested leaving a trap out for a while rigged so it WON'T close (so cat gets used to going inside).

I've heard from one source not to leave a trap unattended-I guess you hide in the vicinity-but being in the country, I've always just put the trap out around dusk (when the weather is not too bad), and checked on it every hour or so. Some people also recommend setting more than one trap, although I've not yet done that.

If you do get Mr. A.K., and he has to wait awhile to be moved (and even if he doesn't have to wait), do cover the trap with a large towel or sheet; makes the cat much less stressed. You probably have heard all this already if you're in touch with feral folk, so my apologies for blabbing! I just wish I'd had a few more tips before my first livetrap experience...

Re: mentioning the rescue, I know the BB stipulates only approved rescues post etc., and I hope I've respected that request. However, I think it's okay to just mention whoever helped you in your post as a kind of 'shout out'...I've done that, and haven't yet been drawn and quartered??!!

Lotsa :fingerscr:fingerscr::fingerscr!!!!

growler~GateKeeper
October 13th, 2007, 03:13 AM
:fingerscr:goodvibes: Good luck with Mr AlleyKat :highfive:

JanM
October 13th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I do hope Mr. Alley Kat cooperates and goes to the rescue - he's one lucky little kitty!

mummummum
October 13th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Happy trapping and keep us posted :thumbs up

Freyja
October 13th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I have enjoyed following your story. Good luck with Mr. Ally Cat. :fingerscr

kiara
October 13th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Bless you for taking an interest is his life. The best food for trapping is either barbeque chicken or sardines. Rescues always need a donation to defray their huge vet costs, you know that the money will go to good use. This is how I started rescuing and have been doing it for a long time! I was at a plant shop and I noticed this poor skinny looking cat, outside in the rain. The people there were feeding her, but did not think of taking her to a vet. or calling a rescue group ???? It is all about the money !!!!!!!!!! (They could all have chipped in and helped her!) She was missing fur and had ringworm and was also pregnant. I thought about her for a day and called a friend. She said " you are not going to leave her there like that?" Of course I didn't. Like me, maybe this cat is leading you to a new path in your life? To become a volunteer for a rescue group? Good luck.

Ford Girl
October 14th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I picked up the trap last night, I have errands to do today with the inlaws, then I will set it, lucky for me, my DH is on day shift this week coming so he can help me out if and when we trap him. He's been eating every day, loves wet food, but I plan on trying something so smelly and irrestistable when we set the trap. Oh the fishy kind...:D

It's +16 here today and the warm weather should stretch in to the week!! :thumbs up

I've also asked my neighbours to keep their cats inside while I try and trap this kitters, they just looked at me, so you never know what kittie I will catch which is why I want to do this only when I can come check the trap regularly. :shrug:

JanM
October 14th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Good Luck!

NoahGrey
October 14th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Good luck and keep us posted...happy to hear another cat is off the streets and will find a forever home:)

ACO22

growler~GateKeeper
October 14th, 2007, 10:25 PM
:fingerscr for you & Mr Alley Kat :goodvibes:

kashtin's kin
October 15th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the update, and again, good luck :fingerscr :cat:!!

Love4himies
October 15th, 2007, 06:49 AM
:fingerscr for catching Mr. A. Kat!

chico2
October 15th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Ford Girl,like KK says,don't give up if at first you don't succeed,try and try again:fingerscr
Cats are smart little buggers,but I hope Mr Alley-Cat will run right in to that trap and be on his way to a safer place.:pray:

want4rain
October 15th, 2007, 12:26 PM
if he is anything like Frances, he will know its a transition to a great place. i swear she knew it here. how strange is it that a cat will willy nilly run up to a stranger and beg for food???

-ashley

Ford Girl
October 21st, 2007, 06:52 PM
Hi, I just trapped him!! I didn't set the trap until today, we had family in town, a death in the family and the days went by and I hadn't had a minute to set it and deliver him if I did trap him.

This morning I set it with some tuna, got home from a baby shower and there he was. I called the rescue lady and she hasn't called me back yet, I can't drop him off until she does. So I will give it until dark, then move him to a spare room in the basement for the night, until she calls. :highfive:

He eye looks healed now, no longer milky white, he's very cute!! If I can, I will take some pics, and update this as I go. Wish me luck! :thumbs up

There's more to the story, but I am about to eat dinner...turns out my neighbours made a shelter for him too and were also making arrnagements for winter for this little guy...details to come... :angel:

Frenchy
October 21st, 2007, 06:55 PM
There's more to the story, but I am about to eat dinner...turns out my neighbours made a shelter for him too and were also making arrnagements for winter for this little guy...details to come... :angel:

noooo , I wanna know the rest of the story ! :laughing: Yippeeee for your catch :thumbs up and the neighbors were looking after him too ! Such a lucky cat. Thanks for doing this for him Ford Girl :clap:

growler~GateKeeper
October 21st, 2007, 06:56 PM
ALRIGHT :highfive: GREAT JOB FORD GIRL :thumbs up

He must've known you only wanted to help :cat:

You are his :angel2:

krdahmer
October 21st, 2007, 07:24 PM
WOOHOO... that is awesome news FordGirl!!! Great job. :thumbs up And how sweet is that that the neighbours were watching out for him too... that is one lucky little stray cat... he picked the right neighbourhood! :lovestruck:

Let us know how it goes and I would love to see pics!

Again... thanks for caring so much for this little guy and congrats on the successful capture! :grouphug::highfive::D

JanM
October 21st, 2007, 07:29 PM
Wonderful news! I can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

kashtin's kin
October 22nd, 2007, 01:15 AM
That's the kind of 'happy ending' we all love to hear :thumbs up ! Lucky Alley Kat, indeed...good work Ford Girl! (I still remember how excited I was when I did my first livetrap last year.) Do let us know more when you have the time. :D:D:D:D

rainbow
October 22nd, 2007, 02:26 AM
I don't know how I missed this thread. :shrug: :o

WOO HOO for you and Mr. Ally Cat. :highfive: You are an :angel: and I hope the rescue finds him a forever home soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
October 22nd, 2007, 06:57 AM
Woohoo for Mr. Alleycat. :thumbs up. Now he can lead a safe comfortable life!

want4rain
October 22nd, 2007, 12:28 PM
YAY!!! (i missed it too!!:o)

keep us posted and get some pics if you can!!

-ashley

Ford Girl
October 22nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Hi everyone, sorry to make you wait...last night after I posted, I got a call from the rescue lady, and I brought Ally in....he drove in the car, no issues, no noise, when I looked under the blanket he was purring....not stressed out at all about being trapped. I knew then that he wasn't wild...

It turns out I was right, when we got to the shelter, I stayed to watch the lady do the intake assessment, he was pretty tamed, and it turns out he was a nutured male, and he was microchipped, and the chip was active...so they are going to track down the owners and his vet, which was listed in the chip info that came up, and the vet number was still active. Good to know he could possibly be reunited with his family!!! :thumbs up

They handled him a bit, did a quick over view of him and put him in his own "den" with a bed, pillows, litter box, food and water, he was purring the whole time!!! Then I said good bye and he let me scratch him! He was so cute!! I smiled the whole way home!!! He seemed very happy to be in a warm place with all the kitty essentials. :angel:

The shelter was an amazing place, cats and kittens every where, happy as can be, lazing around in beds and cat trees, playing with toys...all loose (except that days intake), all getting along...they said they had an adoptathon on the weekend and rehomed 7 kittens and 20 adult cats! :highfive: :grouphug:

The bit about my neighbour is that he approached us last week and asked me if I'd help him catch this stray cat, he said he thought it might have a home tho cuz it wasn't too thin, and I told him I was feeding him and planning on trapping him - he just looked in horror at me and said..."well you dont have to trap him and kill him, I'll take him for the winter and maybe find him a home in the spring"...I then explained the humane trap and the no kill shelter..he was relieved!!! ha! We both laughed!!! It turns out, he had made a home for him, under a tarp, and was providing it with water and a warm dry place to live, and I was feeding him...neither of us knew it. :laughing:

If the owners don't claim him, he will be on the website within a few days, I will send you the links when he's featured, I did get one shot in the trap of him, so cute...I will post it tonight when I get home. :cloud9:

Thanks everyone for the tips and concerns and guiding me thru this...I am so happy it worked out for this little guy!!! :thumbs up

rainbow
October 22nd, 2007, 02:37 PM
WOW...the news just keeps getting better. :highfive: I hope he is reunited with his family....that would be such a happy ending. :cloud9:

Thanks for all you did for him, Ford Girl. :angel:

breeze
October 22nd, 2007, 02:39 PM
I'm so glad that he is save and sound, and that he might get back home..
If he dosn't get home then he will find a good home somewhere else instead of the streets :thumbs up:thumbs up

Winston
October 22nd, 2007, 02:39 PM
Ford Girl!!!! Way to go! What a success! You must have been soo relieved to know that he was neutered and microchipped! You must be relly excited to know that mr Ally Kat could be reunited with his family! I wonder how long he has been gone? and how far away he lives? I bet he has some stories!! Did they say how his eye was? any guess on his age!

Sounds like you have some caring neighbours their! Good to know if it happens again!

Thanks for taking your time to save this little boys life! I bet you he was thinking the same thing on his drive to the MEOW foundation! I believe there is a reason for everything ! and something drove him to you!

Cindy

want4rain
October 22nd, 2007, 03:14 PM
i wanna know what his real name is!!! are they going to keep you up to date on this??

microchiping is the best thing you can do for your pets. the ONLY one we dont ahve chipped is Baby Girl and thats a combo of we kept forgetting and then also that when doors open, she is so opposed to being OUT she runs in the opposite direction.

-ashley

JanM
October 22nd, 2007, 05:52 PM
Well done! I just love stories with happy endings!

Frenchy
October 22nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
Hurray Ford Girl :highfive: thanks for putting the time and effort to save this poor cat , dog knows winter is coming :sad: but he's safe now , thanks to you :angel:

Love4himies
October 23rd, 2007, 07:47 AM
What a happy ending. You did a great thing, Fordgirl!

chico2
October 30th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Thank's Ford Girl,great news to come back home to...hopefully someone will be happy to hear he's found:pray: