Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

roundworms

missymoo
October 12th, 2007, 01:57 PM
hi everyone, we got a new puppy (a jack russell crossed with a yorkie, yikes!):evil:. The day we got her (ruby), i took her to the vets for a check, they wormed and fleaed her and told me to worm her in a month, well it was a month today so i wormed her again, only to find that their was a huge spaggetti type worm in her poop:eek:, i'm guessing that its a roundworm, and now i'm worrying that my children, husband and myself are going to end up blind, or with tissue damage to the brain or liver if we've accidently ingested worm eggs. i've been as scrupulous as possible with hygiene, but you can't wash your hands every time you pet her, one of my daughters has autism and the other is a thumb sucker, and they have been left unattended with ruby, am i worrying about nothing? I've done nothing but go on at my thumbsucker today about washing her hands and my hands are so dry from washing them, do you think i should be worrying?:confused:

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2007, 02:04 PM
:eek: :yuck: I think I'd call the vet first and find out exactly what it is you're dealing with and then call your pediatrician or family doctor. I'm sure that if they think there's a risk, they can give you some meds that will at least set your worries to rest! :grouphug:

Thank heavens you dewormed the little darling! :eek: So when do we get pictures of Ruby? (Or has hazel missed them and they're already posted somewhere? :o)

bendyfoot
October 12th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I remember that after we dewormed the racoons I was taking care of at a wildlife rehab centre, their poops would usually be full of roundworms. Really gross, but I think it's part of getting the adults out of their system. It can't hurt asking the dr. for deworming meds for the rest of the family too.

For what it's worth I was around those wormy brats for months, as were many coworkers, and no one ever suffered any ill effects.