Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat and his litter box!

I_love_mischa
October 12th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Mischa has never had a problem, EVER, with going in his litter box. But one thing I thought was weird, really weird actually, is that instead of taking the litter to cover up his "waste" he scratches the sides of the litter box in an effort to cover it up! He will even get out of the litter box and scratch the wall in a motion like he thinks he's covering it up!?!?! After all his effort, he walks away with it still uncovered! What is his deal? Has anyone ever heard of their cat doing this? I certainly haven't lol! It's not that big of a deal, I just thought it was kind of odd! He will scratch all around his box, and never manages to get it covered up. Any ideas as to why he does this?

Angel

Love4himies
October 12th, 2007, 01:55 PM
He needs glasses?

Sorry couldn't resist. Know why he goes through so much effort is because he is trying to cover up the smell but is not being successful. Maybe he doesn't like the feeling of the litter in his paws so tries in other ways to cover it up.

ewe5248
October 12th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I sometimes take care of my neighbors cat Miss Kitty and she does the same thing! I thought the pan might be too small for her liking so I gave her a bigger one. Then I noticed that when I renewed the litter instead of just scooping out the poop clumps, that she hopped right in, did her poop, AND COVERED IT! so maybe your baby is like Miss Kitty and likes pristine litter only!:cat: I have no idea how to get them to use it more than once. Maybe she wants one of those self cleaning pans! lol!:shrug:

krdahmer
October 12th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I have a few with that habit, and a couple that poop and run to escape their own stink. And some just do it to celebrate being a little lighter I think. It's normal, have no idea why they do that though, I have one that just scratches the lip of the box, more to clean her own paws than to cover her deed.:rolleyes::shrug:

growler~GateKeeper
October 13th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Sometimes cats will scratch & cover the deposit with the litter but usually if it is fresh litter

Sometimes they will scratch the surrounding areas such as the floors, walls ect I have heard it is because in nature they would have a larger area to go in, so they are used to the long stretches to cover it up instead of short ones - the space in the box limits them to short strectches only

The other thing is territorial scent markings ie "I pooped here this is my territory - find your own spot to poop!" :D :laughing: this usually occurs with dogs but will happen in cats especially assertive/dominate/territorial ones

There are also scent glands/markers in the feet so that also helps to "spread the word" to other cats, also why many times a cat will scratch at the scratching post right after making thier deposit

and yes I too think they will do it to clean off their paws :rolleyes::D

I_love_mischa
October 13th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks everybody, these are all good thoughts. I agree. My first thought, as well, was that maybe he needed a bigger litter box. So I guess I have a prissy cat? lol I clean his box very often, sometimes he covers it and sometimes he doesn't. I just didn't get why he'd scratch the walls and stuff too...but that's a really good thought that maybe he's marking his territory (even thought we don't have any other animals). But he uses that motion for a lot of things. When he's done eating something...he'll take his paws and act like he's covering it up so nobody else will eat it! It cracks me up. :laughing: Oh and love4himies...you are hilarious lol!:pawprint: