Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Possible Hairball Issue/question

Fiona's Sister
October 12th, 2007, 11:47 AM
My Fiona has been showing signs of what I think is her trying to cough up a hairball. I've never had experience with this since my previous cat never coughed them up ... hair passed in her bowel movements. Anyway, Fiona once yesterday and once this morning, after some coughing, spit up a clear substance but no hair and it had a less than attractive smell. My question is, is this normal? Is it supposed to smell? She produced the same smell when she regurgitated a piece of plastic she had managed to eat ... the plastic and accompanying mucus had the same odor.

Jim Hall
October 12th, 2007, 12:11 PM
yup she is probably shifting a hair ball
some things she can take to help

olive oil

pumpkin make sure its not pie filling but just plain pumpkin
some cat food uses aloe as filler insted of whet gluten or whatever
i find that help my cat to pass one through

you can biy some stuff at the per store but its basically just glyrciene and corn syrup yuckk

Also see if you can brush her if you start off slow and gentle sometimes they really like it also sometimes a fine tooth comb will get a lot of under coat off her

If she is eating and pooping ok she will probaly pass it one way pr another

lol you will wake up to a nice :yuck::eek: one morning

Love4himies
October 12th, 2007, 12:28 PM
My cat does spit ups for a few days before the actual hairball comes out.

Fiona's Sister
October 12th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. :)

I brush and comb her daily much to her dismay and she gets weekly baths with a shampoo that's supposed to help with shedding and hairballs. Her eating and pooping are normal and her daily activity is the same.

I think I'm just a worrier, lol.