Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Raw feeding in Mexico?

Anodyne
October 11th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I have a six month old female Chihuahua puppy who is currently eating the very best dog food you can find in Mexico, which unfortunately happens to be Purina.

Two major worries in the Chihuahua breed are tooth issues and obesity. Raw feeding seems like an excellent possible solution to both of these problems. I'm ready to dive into it BUT...

Mexican meat. I've bought meat from the local butcher and eaten it myself, but it was, of course cooked. Does anyone know if I should worry about what is IN her meat? Is it a better bet to buy from the grocery store or the butcher? Does anybody have third world country raw feeding experience? Is it safe in your opinion?

I might be over paranoid, after all one of my concerns about the continued feeding of low quality kibble is the recent out breaks in the United States.

I want to do the best thing for little Moose that is possible here. I need advice! What should I do?

want4rain
October 12th, 2007, 11:17 AM
NON free range (bummer huh??)chicken breast on the bone, liver and heart and egg?? and freeze everything in a deep freezer before feeding.

i feed my cats breast bone. for a guy that little... roughly-
10%offal (with 5% being liver)
10%bone
80%meat(heart is MEAT not offal)
and i also feed Mister left overs form the fridge once a week cause while they are carnivores, they are in between carnivores and omnivores but swinging much closer to carnivores. he gets a left over dairy, some veggies, any of our over ripe fruit...

NO pork or fish or free range chicken (i think free range eggs are ok.)

this covers a good bit of the parasites-
http://www.peteducation.com/category_summary.cfm?cls=2&cat=1621
http://www.peteducation.com/category_summary.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622

cross reference all of those things that may be a concern.

also, see if you cant find a raw feeding list (the one on yahoo is good but pretty narrow viewed and really really um... enthusiastic?) to see if yo ucant find another who has raw fed small dogs like yours.

you could also try to find some ethical breeders here and call them and ask questions as to what they feed THEIR Chihuahua bitches and studs. there are rare ethical breeders who use commerical foods.

got some pictures?? :)

-ashley

cricket36580
October 25th, 2007, 12:24 PM
On another board I'm on we have one from Brazil and another from Singapore... Both are getting their meats from local butchers/processors. I think it's going to depend a great deal on where you are. If you are in Mexico City or somewhere in Michoagan, I can help. Other than that, I'd look into the locals. Also, make friends with anyone that hunts or raises their own livestock.

mummummum
October 31st, 2007, 11:17 AM
If I were you I would look for a local farmer. I known "organic" is a nevermind but try to find someone who doesn't do hormones ~ it's probably way too much to ask for truly organic feed.