Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vestibular Syndrome

Laura.28
October 11th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Hi, does anyone have any experiences with Vestibular syndrome in cats?
My cat George has been diagnosed with this, and I am very frustrated. I have had him to the vet several times and they cant seem to be able to treat this. He started 2 weeks ago to stagger around and falling over, his head is tilted to one side. Apparently this vestibular thing is an inner ear problem. I have had George on anti biotics for 10 days now, and it isnt doing anything. Actually George is getting worse. He is getting weaker and his eyes are really dopey looking. I have been told this can take up to 6 weeks to improve. My big question is,, can it get worse before it gets better, or is something else going on. George had a full blood panel and nothing else is showing up.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Laura

growler~GateKeeper
October 12th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Sorry to hear of Georges' difficulties :sad:.

I don't have any experience with Vestibular Disease (though my vet was wondering for a very short while if my :rip::dog: had it until it was ruled out - he had something which produced some similar symptoms).

Veterinary Partner is a wonderful website for information & I have provided a link to the specific page you need. This site is used & recommended by Veterinarians for sourcing information & most of them will use it in clinic too.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=564

Hope George is better in a very short amount of time :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

Laura.28
October 12th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the site,, it is excellent and these are exactly the symptoms George is displaying. The only thing is that, he has had the symptoms for 2 weeks, and isnt getting any better. In fact he is worse, so I am going to go to another vet for a second opinion as to what to do. I might be told to wait it out, cause short of an MRI,, there isnt much the vet can do. An MRI costs $2000 and that might not tell me anything either. This is a very awful time,, I am sick about what to do.

Laura

krdahmer
October 12th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I'm so sorry about your George, I will have him in my prayers and hope his recovery speeds up.... :grouphug:

And thanks for posting that website Growler, I hadn't seen that one yet. Handy.:highfive:

diandpat
October 12th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Laura.28, I am so sorry to hear about your cat George. We have just completed week three of living with Vestibular Disease in our 13 yr old Golden, Ginger.

We have been living through small victories the whole time. She is now about 80% better. Her head is still severely tilted to the left and she loses her footing sometimes. While she once had full reign of the house, the stairs need to be blocked off now when we are out. She can go in the stairs but only if one of us is there or she goes off balance, particularly going down. She was prescribed Gravol at the outset and still takes a pill 2-3 times a week.

She is very tired and pants a lot. I suppose that is because of all the extra effort it takes for her to do what was once only natural.

With all that being said, the vets guarantee me that she is in no pain whatsoever, she is adjusting well, she is always smiling and happy and her tail wags a mile a minute.

In the time that Ginger has been sick two people we know have suddenly lost dear furkids and another friend has had his 5 1/2 yr old pooch diagnosed with terminal cancer. All in all, I think we have dodged a bullet...for now ; )

I hope that this vet appt can shed some new light on what is bothering your cat, Georgel, and that you have a positive outcome...whatever it may be.

Good luck and keep us posted.