Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sudden rapid eye movement

T&Csmom
October 11th, 2007, 10:25 PM
:confused:

Is my baby sick?

Tashy, my older dog's pupils startd rolling from side to side all of a sudden, and she was moving her head in a confused manner. This lasted for about a minute, and it was a very scary minute for me:sad: She got up after it stopped and sort of staggered before regaining balance. This all happened an hour ago, and it was the first time I've seen her like that.

I searched all over the net for an answer, but could not find any.
Is it something serious, please tell me it isn't:pray:

Frenchy
October 11th, 2007, 10:36 PM
It sounds like a mild seizure :sad:.... but I'm no expert and it could be something else. I would bring her to the vet for a check up asap.

hazelrunpack
October 11th, 2007, 10:41 PM
I agree with Frenchy--the symptoms certainly fit those of a mild seizure. Regardless of what it is, a vet visit would be a good idea, I think! :grouphug:

shredy
October 11th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Ditto, sounds like a seizure to me. There are all different kinds. A vet visit is definitely in order to see what is going on. It may or may not be a sign of something more serious but IMO it is better to be safe than sorry. I really hope the best for you and Tashy :dog::fingerscr:goodvibes:

Frenchy
October 11th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Is it something serious, please tell me it isn't:pray:

Worst case scenario : epilepsy , and I know some dogs with this condition , are doing very well under meds. :thumbs up

T&Csmom
October 12th, 2007, 04:35 AM
I called the vet, and told him what happened. He said it was probably a minor seizure, and to give half a teaspoon of gloucose for seven days and monitor her for any more. He said it could have been a toxic or something, but if it's epilepsy she should have another one sometime, and to bring her in only if she has another in a week. Even if she does, how will I know for sure I'll witness it? I am not in a position to watch her 24/7, I can miss her for a minute and it can happen! It can also happen during the night, what he said doesn't make much sense, I'd rather get her tested right away:sad:

Also after the call I googled, and came up with more depressing news. They say various reasons cause seizures, epilepsy being the most common, but if the dog is between five and six years' of age, a seizure is most likely caused by a brain tumor. Tashy will be six this December. I don't want to call the doctor again, instead I'll go visit him in the evening, and tell him my concerns and see if I can have Tashy tested. He never mentioned brain tumors to me:sad: What makes all this worse is, if it is a brain tumor I am afraid that the technology needed to treat it may not even be available here in Sri lanka. :cry: I feel so scared :sad:

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2007, 02:13 PM
We had a setter that had one (and only one) grand mal seizure. He was almost 6 as well. In his case, our best guess is that it was brought on by low blood sugar, but we could never confirm it. (Blood glucose levels can fluctuate pretty rapidly and we were an hour from the vet--by the time we got there, his levels were fine :shrug:) So it's not necessarily a brain tumor :grouphug:

Keep us posted on what the vet tells you! :goodvibes: :grouphug:

T&Csmom
October 12th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I visited the vet last night, and he repeated what he told me over the phone. Basically, to observe her and if she has another, to rule out causes one by one.
He confirmed my fears, by saying that as a country where vetinary is in its infancy, there are no clinics that have MRI/CAT scans in Sri Lanka, and none would perform a brain surgery. I would give an arm to have her screened, but the fact that I can't because the technology is unavailable is killing me.

Hazelrunpack, thank you for sharing the story. At this point I am just totally worried it is a brain tumor, because her seizure was a partial seizure, that was limited to her head. I cried for hours yesterday, and I feel horrible right now :cry:

Here's a picture of Tashy
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/sangeeth/rsz_DSC02470.jpg

Frenchy
October 12th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I am so sorry :sad: not knowing is the worst part. :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2007, 10:08 PM
:grouphug: All you do is take it one day at a time and try not to worry, T&C. (I hate not knowing :frustrated:...it's so hard.) Watch her carefully and try to stay positive. :grouphug: And of course, give her as much TLC as she wants. :o

:fingerscr that she has no more episodes! :pray: :goodvibes:

Frenchy
October 12th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I just saw her pic , she's too cute ! :lovestruck:

otter
October 12th, 2007, 10:26 PM
What a sweetie! Try not to assume the worst - if it is something like a tumor you'll know in due time and it could just be a one time thing like Hazels experience so try and think positive and give Tashy tonnes of love (it can never hurt!). :goodvibes::goodvibes: and :pray: that all goes well

Longblades
October 13th, 2007, 10:20 AM
It also sounds exactly like Canine Geriatric Vestibular Disease, which is a misnomer as it is not always geriatric. The rolling eyes are typical. Google this and ask your Vet. The good news is GVD often resolves after a few weeks and the dog is as good as new with maybe a bit of head tilt and that often resolves too, but at a slower pace. My sister's dog had it last spring and is now as good as new and still going strong at 15 and a half.

Here is one site on it, you will find many. Note that it is often misdiagnosed as a seizure.

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/vestibular.html

T&Csmom
October 13th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Thank you Frenchy and Ottor, for the kind compliments:D She and Candy mean the world to me!

Thanks for the link Longblades! Does the effects of Geriatric Vestibular disease last for several days? Tashy had rapid eye movement for only a minute, and she was a little out of sorts for about two hours after that since she wasn't her self, but it dind't last for days.

Yesterday I got her checked for Inner/middle ear infections because that may be a reason too, but she came clear, and had none. The doctor keeps telling me to forget about this incident, and only worry if she has another one. The waiting and uncertainty is what I can't handle, I am planning to take her to another vet for a second opinion. Not once did my doctor tell me he thinks it could be a brain tumor, and according to him there are only two recorded cases of canine brain tumor in Sri Lanka :eek: Many others are not brought to the attention of a vet, because owners don't take the symptoms seriously.

Frenchy
October 13th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Good for you to seek a second opinion. Maybe she won't have another one ? :pray:

Longblades
October 14th, 2007, 09:46 AM
It's too bad you don't have access to better Vet care. I can only relate my personal experience with my sister's dog and what I read on websites. But I believe it typically lasts for some WEEKS. Laddie was unable to walk and could barely stand for over three weeks. Longer is not unusual. He had to be lifted in and out of the house to do his business and was on medication to bring down inflamation that was thought to be the cause. He also did not have any ear infection though the symptoms are remarkably similar. My sister's Vet said onset and recovery are usually acute. In Laddie's case he worsened progressively over only a few short hours and recovered just as quickly nearly four weeks later. It is very distressing for the dog as their balance is off. Being lifted is also frightening for them so care needs to be taken that you don't get bitten. One website said to hold their paws when you carry them in and out as paws dangling in the air increases their sense of being disoriented and frightens them even more.

T&Csmom
October 14th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the additional info Longblades, *sigh* I guess that rules out geriatrich Vestibular disease :sad:
Yes, I too wish we had better facilities here. I feel so bad knowing that I can't do anything to clear the worst for her, but hope and pray for the best.
Are there any other illneses that cause this condition (Nystagmus - I learnt a new word lol) apart from brain tumors, can one-offs happen or is it always related to something more serious? :confused:

Tomorrow, I will be visiting another vet. I can't wait to hear what he has to say.

T&Csmom
October 18th, 2007, 11:00 AM
An update from my visit to the second vet- this vet repeated the same things as my regular vet. He said there is no testing available, and if she suffers once again from Nystagmus, she will have to be put on medications. Only two types of pills are available in Sri Lanka to control, and she will be given one of those. I asked him honestly what he thinks it is, and his opinion was that it was most likely caused by something other than a brain tumor, although you cannot rule it out. I found this vet more comforting than my regular vet lol! In his practice for over ten years, he's only come across two cases of Nystagmus, and both cases never followed up with him, so he has no idea what became of those dogs.
I'm :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray: that she never suffers from nystagmus again, please inlude Tashy in your prayers too :)
The only tangible thing he did was change Tashy's vitamin supplement:confused:

Frenchy
October 18th, 2007, 12:31 PM
woohoo for the second vet ! (at least he was comforting!) :thumbs up

Now Tashy , here are some good vibes for you and your mommy :goodvibes: