Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

volume of dog food..

kigndano
October 11th, 2007, 03:59 PM
i switched cassius from science diet to eukanuba "natural" lamb and rice food this week.

the hills reccomended 4.5 cups a day, and the new stuff says only 2.5. (this is the on-bag directions). should i just follow what they say? im worried that the drop off in volume will freak him out or something

bendyfoot
October 11th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Maybe gradually bring it down, and monitor his body weight as you do the change. With better quality food you usually don't have to feed as much, but yeah, his stomach may feel empty/not full if you suddenly change the amount that much...even if he's getting enough nutrients. You should always just use the amounts on the bag as a guide...your dog's body condition is a more useful measure of the amount of food he needs to eat.

Ford Girl
October 11th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Dazy weighs 70lbs and eat only 3 cups a day of Orijen, plus fresh goodies and training treats. At first, when we switched from 4 cups to 2 then, she was like..hey, fill that bowl up...psycologically she was devistated!! LMAO! But she gets plenty for what she needs. The bag is usually hugher then you need to give, his poops will tell the tale.

Winston
October 11th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Yeah food is funny that way..I used to feed Winston 4 cups of the crappy vet food and now he has been on the Orijen for awhile...He only eats about 3 cups a day instead of the 4 cups he used to eat...better food quality though!

Do they sell Orijen where you live because alot of dogs really love the stuff...and Fordgirl was right on the money! the poops will tell it all....Winston's dont even stick the the grass any more..no more runs, and they are much smaller in quantity:laughing::laughing:..which I believe is what you would want...Maybe check it out!

Cindy

kigndano
October 12th, 2007, 09:21 AM
i have looked around for orijen but i cant find it anywhere. so i went with eukanuba because my sister used it for her dog and said she loved it.