Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Decisions... Help!

Chilechops
October 11th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Hi Everyone!
I just signed up today looking for some help...I have an aussie/husky mix...(JALENROSE) who will be 16 yr in Dec! She had been getting nose bleeds a few months ago and I was told by a vet to give her benadryll for allergies. I dont know if it really helped because her nose bleeds we not to often ut she was doing the reverse sneezing that scares the you know what our of me! To make a long story short I took her in to a Specialist a couple of days ago...she either has a nasal fungal infection or god forbid a nasal tumor.....they can only distinguish the two by doing a CT Scan....she has an underlying kidney failure so they are affraid to give her NSAID therapy...I just dont know if there is any other option for her? Homeopathic etc..? This is the hardest decision...She is to old I feel for any surgery if its a Tumor or the Therapy if its fungal infection, she would have to be under for this procedure, which seems to be very hard on her kidneys and also extremely expensive....Does anyone have any advise Im soooo confused! Part of me wants to take her for a CT Scan to know what the problem is but is she able to go through either treatment? Thanks for listening....:sad:

Roscoe's Mom
October 11th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Bless your heart - those are wrenching decisions to have to make. You know your girl best, though - what she can or cannot take. Of course you don't want her to suffer or go through treatments that would complicate her other health issues. Perhaps others have gone through this sort of thing and will have some thoughts to share with you. Whatever you decide on doing, be sure to keep in touch so you can get some moral support as well. Good thoughts going out your way!

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2007, 12:01 AM
I'm sorry you're struggling with such a hard decision, Chilechops. :grouphug: We had a springer spaniel with nose bleeds--we knew there was a mass in there but it was in a place impossible to biopsy so we never really knew what it was. Probably a vascular tumor...

The good news is that it didn't seem to be painful for her.

Does she show any other symptoms besides the nose bleeds and the inverted sneezes? I wonder if the vet would be able to run some sort of an assay for antibodies to fungi in her blood? If that would be possible, it might be unnecessary to even consider the CT scan?

Chilechops
October 12th, 2007, 12:28 PM
:lovestruck: Im so glad I found this site! Thank you for your replies!! It makes me feel much much better....It seems like they can at least find out about the fungi without a CT scan, this vet told me there is no way to distinguish between the two without one? It just doesnt make sense to me...?? I hope someone here can help that has had their dog tested for the infection without a CT Scan..(if its poss)? Jalen doesnt seem to be in alot of pain, but doesnt want you around her nose at all...she has been gagging a little and snorting when she gets to the top of the stairs the past couple of days but seems to be doing good yesterday and today....not really any blood either....but sneezy....:pray:

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I'm thinking that if you contact the nearest teaching veterinary hospital (there's likely one associated with one of the Univ of California campuses) they might be able to tell you if there is an assay for antibodies to fungi. Let them know what's going on with Jalen and ask if they have any suggestions of alternative tests... Sometimes it's hard to get someone to talk to you over the phone, but if you can, it might set you in the right direction! :fingerscr

They might just confirm that a CT scan is the only thing available, but it's worth a shot! And usually the teaching vets are up on the latest technology. :shrug:

Love4himies
October 12th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I would think that blood work would indicate an infection whether it be viral, bacterial or fungii? Not too familiar with CT scans, but isn't it like an x-ray? Would that show a fungal infection?

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I would think that blood work would indicate an infection whether it be viral, bacterial or fungii? Not too familiar with CT scans, but isn't it like an x-ray? Would that show a fungal infection?

I'm thinking that it could image a mass if it's cancer. CT scans are made up of lots of xray cross-sections that a computer recombines to show a 3-D picture of what's being imaged. I'm guessing a fungus wouldn't cause a mass? But I'm only guessing... :shrug: If a fungus can cause a mass, I have no idea how the scan would distinguish between the two? Maybe someone with some medical background can clear that up.

Chilechops
October 14th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the replies!
By doing research, it just seems like if she had this fungal infection her nose would be crusty, more greenlike discharge? Has anyone ever had or know more about the nasal fungal infection? Her only discharge really is blood, which has slowed down alot the past couple of days....In my heart I feel like its a tumor...:sad: But I feel like Im not doing enough for her....I just dont think she would make it through ANY type of harsh treatment at her age? If its fungal it like 3 treaments a week being put under for each treatment, and they worry about her kidneys....if its a tumor...radiation....It just seems like to much for her? I feel like she will live longer by just leaving her alone and living out her natural life....But I want to keep her comforable at the same time? Sorry Im kinda rambling...I just cant believe my baby girl is sick...I thought she would live forever...:sad:...I dont want to see her go through any pain....

otter
October 14th, 2007, 01:10 PM
These decisions are so hard, my heart goes out to you :grouphug:.
If she's not in any pain, having a good quality of life, you can always ask the vet about non-invasive things you can do to keep up her quality of life. You know your girl best as to what she can and can't tolerate and how she is feeling, be very aware of these things. I know I wrestled with similar questions when my Chloe got sick and basically it came down to is there any point in knowing exactly what is wrong when she couldn't tolerate any treatment? There is LOTS we can do for our pets, that doesn't mean we HAVE to do it all - medical technology has it's benefits but also some negatives, keep in mind that testing can sometimes be very frightening and painful for our animals and treatments might help but are they worth the pain and suffering in the interim? Very hard questions, I know. I'm so sorry you are having to face this.

:fingerscr:fingerscr for lots more good days with your jalenrose :dog: