Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stool sample question

barbiegal39
October 11th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Hi. My 15 month old Cocker Spaniel, Cody, is going to the vet this afternoon. He had vomited a few times over the weekend, and had a very mucousy bowel movement yesterday morning, so I called the vet. In the meantime, Cody seems to be feeling much better, but has not had a bm (that I know of at least) since. Just wondering if anyone knows whether its okay to bring a sample from yesterday...I don't know if they need a fresh one to run proper tests.

Thanks,
Barb

bendyfoot
October 11th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Unless you kept it in the fridge overnight you should try to get a fresh sample from today...

want4rain
October 11th, 2007, 02:02 PM
id say an old one is better than nothing although i believe most vets have a little tool they can use to prove for a FRESH one. :)

-ashley

rainbow
October 11th, 2007, 06:41 PM
How was the vet trip? I hope Cody is okay. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

barbiegal39
October 12th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks for your replies. Cody seems to be feeling much better, and the vet said it was likely just a virus or something he ate. She felt he was on the mend by the time I took him in, so no sample necessary.

He did finally have a poop, at 3 o'clock this morning, and the good boy sat by the door and did a few low woofs until I woke up to let him out. Such a good doggie!!:angel:

As Cody is my first dog, it is always nice to hear the thoughts and advice of more experienced members.

Many thanks.
Barb