Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm new with a new puppy - help

lorilies
October 11th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I am getting a new puppy on Saturday but have a few questions first. The dog's mother is pure bred Golden Retriever and the father is black lab with a little german shepherd. He looks exactly like a black lab though. My questions are as follows:
Is bringing the puppy home at 6 weeks too early or should I leave her another week with her siblings and parents?

Also, any tips on training these dogs as this is my first time with a dog. I have two cats at home now.

Thanks
Lori

Roscoe's Mom
October 11th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Hi and congrats on getting your new pup! Most vets say 6 weeks is ok - however, the way the pup acts, eats, etc. is probably a better indication of whether he's ready or not. Is he bouncy, yappy, and act healthy? Another important thing to look out for is if he is social with people.

As far as training, you have a wealth of information both in books and online. Just search out Labs, Goldens, and Shepherds. Also you've joined this group and you'll get loads of help and support from many, many people with years and years of experience.

I personally have a Lab mixed with a Golden, and a Golden mixed with Lab - One looks and acts like a Lab and one looks and acts like a Golden! They are both PRECIOUS PETS! They make wonderfully faithful and loyal pets, yet don't underestimate their penchant for getting into mischief because they will. They do not mature until near or after the age of 2, so don't expect a little adult very soon! :angel: Labs have some personality PLUS - mine dances and prances and at 12 acts like a puppy! Goldens are VERY clingy and cuddly - mine would meld into my skin to be just to be close to me.

BUT THE BEST place to start with that new pup is your Vet. Shots, worming, etc. and a good thorough check up! They will help you make sure he's healthy, then you can just jump on the wagon and start enjoying the ride of your life!

And pix, don't forget pix!!!!!

sugarcatmom
October 11th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I would suggest leaving the pup with his mom and litter mates until he's at least 8 weeks old. The amount of social learning he will get by being with them for those 2 extra weeks is very valuable and could have repercussions into his adult life. In fact, many states in the US have a law against selling pups before they're 8 weeks old (doubt it's actually enforced or anything, but goes to show you how important it can be).

clm
October 11th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Doesn't sound like a lot, but there's a big difference between a 6 and 8 week old pup. If you can get it to stay with it's mother for another couple of weeks that would be the best. It'll be fine if you take it home at 6 weeks, their just that much less developed and don't get the benefit of more training from mom. There will be more effort required on your part too with a pup that young.

Cindy

Bentley'sMom
October 11th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I also would recommend not taking the puppy from the litter until 8 weeks old. We had the opportunity to visit our puppy once a week until we took it home at 8 weeks. What it learned from its mother and litter mates the last two weeks is invaluable: the mother and litter mates both teach bite inhibition and what is and is not acceptable with other dogs. Good luck.

rainbow
October 11th, 2007, 07:07 PM
I also agree it's best to leave the puppy with his mom and siblings until he's 8 weeks old. Welcome to pets.ca :thumbs up and looking forward to pics of your new arrival. :stork-baby: :pawprint:

TeriM
October 11th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Another vote for 8 weeks (seven at the absolute minimum). Those two weeks are extremely important socialization weeks where they learn things like bite inhibition and good play etiquette.

Good luck and we can't wait for pics :D.