Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Curse dogmatism and patronising!

Bluedrake
October 11th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Well, I took my new kitty to the vet's, and she's fine, except for a little cold. But! The vet asked me what I was feeding my cats, and I told him "Wellness canned". And he said, "well, you shouldn't feed them all canned, that is bad for their teeth. Once cats have taken to canned food, they won't go back to kibble, yadda yadda yadda".

I wonder why they prefer canned to kibble, mmh? And then he proceeded to lecture me about how the latest research allowed foods like Prescription Diet :eek: to offer the best balanced diet for a cat and all that.

I told him how my cat used to have constant diarrhea and bloody stool on kibble and how much she had improved with Wellness, but his only response was that the solution to that problem was to increase fiber. I told him that I had completely removed fiber and that she was now better than fine.

He says "ah well, for some cats that is preferable". Ugh!

And then, while I was waiting, a man with a diabetic dog (it came up during the conversation) came in, and I started to tell him that, perhaps, a grain free, low-carb food would be advisable for him, but he only said "well, I follow my vet's advice when it comes to food". And the technician gave me a little smile that said "leave this to us professionals". And they gave me a free bag of carb-loaded treats. (headed to the nearest garbage bin)

Arrrrg! I'm vexed!

That's not all! Some of my multiple cat owning co-workers respectively feed Medi-cal and Science Diet to their cats and say that they are doing fine on it, that they really love it, etc. One of them even told me "look, I have a degree in biochemistry". As if to say, you don't have a degree, hence you have no idea what you are talking about.

It's so hard to get a message across to some people. I'm considering getting some form of accreditation in pet nutrition just so that people will listen to what I have to say. Nobody listens to a lay person, it would seem.

Oh well, I have given them the adresses to doctor Lisa Pierson's site AND to this forum, and I can only hope that they will see the light.

Next thing I will do is get to work on my vet, and hopefully I can convert him, because otherwise he is a terrific pet doctor who really has a touch with animals. I'm going to bombard him with reliable info from professionals in the field of nutrition until he has no choice to say "Now I see!"

Send me good vibes! :goodvibes:

chico2
October 11th, 2007, 07:24 AM
It seems most of us go through this with our vets,I do not understand why:confused:
Other than they make a few $$$ on selling the stuff..
My vets swear,Hills and Medi-Cal is THE BEST food on the market:yell:

sugarcatmom
October 11th, 2007, 07:25 AM
And then he proceeded to lecture me about how the latest research allowed foods like Prescription Diet :eek: to offer the best balanced diet for a cat and all that.

Ya, the latest research - PAID FOR BY HILL'S themselves!!! It amazes me that vets don't see the conflict of interest in this. I can totally sympathize with your frustration, but luckily my vet is at least on board with the canned thing (now to start working on her about raw . . . . muah ha ha . . . )

Next thing I will do is get to work on my vet, and hopefully I can convert him, because otherwise he is a terrific pet doctor who really has a touch with animals. I'm going to bombard him with reliable info from professionals in the field of nutrition until he has no choice to say "Now I see!"

Send me good vibes! :goodvibes:

Obviously your vet has never read Dr. Zoran's groundbreaking paper on feline nutrition: http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf I'd start with printing that one out for him. I've actually read the whole thing, so tell him that if a "lay-person" like me can get through it, he should also be able to. Too bad it isn't mandatory reading for all vet students . . . .

ancientgirl
October 12th, 2007, 09:41 AM
My vet's office sells Hills, but they don't push it. When Oksana was having her tummy issues, all the vet told me was to stop giving her different brands and to pick one and stick to it. Even though they sell Hills, that's not even what my vet recommended. She recommended either Nutro Max, Eukanuba and another one I can't remember. I had also stopped giving them seafood every other day, I gave it to them because they liked it so much.

So now I give them Nutro Max canned and I also leave them the same brand kibble so they can munch on it while I'm gone.

I've only had experience with one vet office and so far I've been happy. I even told my vet I was giving them a little bit of the coconut oil in their diet and she said that she never heard of anything bad associated with coconut oil so if they are fine on it to let them have it.

Love4himies
October 12th, 2007, 10:32 AM
When discussing diet changes for my senior cat, Puddles, the vet never pushed their brands, but suggested I do research on quality foods, specifically calcium, phosphorus and protien, and canned only! This is the third vet I have had who has recommended canned for cats.

MyBirdIsEvil
October 12th, 2007, 06:59 PM
"look, I have a degree in biochemistry"

Well that really makes them an expert in feline nutrition, now doesn't it ;).
I hate people like that. They think they know better than everyone else because they have a degree in something that may nor may not relate to the subject. Well, then you would think that person would be able to intelligently discuss the issue and describe their position rather than just using their degree as a reason. Imagine how that would work with their peers in the same field. "I have a degree!" "Wow, so do I! Now how about backing your opinion". Seems kind of silly.
I can see someone just not wanting to discuss the issue or saying "Eh, I'm gonna do what I do regardless", but there's no reason to bring up what degrees you do or do not have unless someone specifically asks.

And then he proceeded to lecture me about how the latest research allowed foods like Prescription Diet to offer the best balanced diet for a cat and all that.

That's why I don't mention to my vet what I'm feeding. If he asks I tell him, but I refuse to listen to some kind speech about the latest and greatest brand/formula that a certain company marketed to him. I don't even argue I just say "Ok, but I'm sticking with my current brand". They don't say anything to us anymore anyway since at one time my husband mentioned that their science diet dog formula had peanut hulls in it and he didn't seem to have an explanation as to what the nutritional benefits of peanut hulls were.