Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pet mouse is chewing on the bars of his cage.....?

wensday
October 10th, 2007, 08:10 PM
humphrey is an intact male, living alone, in two attached cages! i give him attention everyday,(and happy to do so :).....)but every night he keeps me up by chewing on the bars of his cage! At first, i thought i was his teeth, so i gave him every chew toy i could find for mice, but to no avail!
he still chews.
then i thought it might be out of boredom, and thats when i got the second attached cage.
he now chews on the bars of his second cage as well. LOL!
i asked my vet if it might be becuse he's lonley, but he said it could be a number of things, and didn't say anything further.:confused:
like i said, i play with him everyday, and he's very tame, BUT HE STILL CHEWS!
I was woundering if any of u could tell me what any "number of things" might be?

jiorji
October 10th, 2007, 08:13 PM
chewing has nothing to do with boredom. PLus personally i don't think mice need that much interraction as we'd think.

He chews his cage because he's grinding his teeth. All rodents do that. My hamster did that every night.

bendyfoot
October 11th, 2007, 09:06 AM
My little mouse used to do this too all the time. I had to keep him in a room other than my bedroom because he was always chewing and running on his squeaky wheel in the middle of the night.... he lived for a very long time and was always healthy...I'm pretty sure it's normal.

coppperbelle
October 11th, 2007, 07:42 PM
If domestic mice are anything like wild mice then they are nocturnal. I know the ones at my cottage are continually chewing on thing in the walls waking me up in the middle of the night. Perhaps if you kept a light on at night near his cage and kept him in the dark during the day it would turn his clock around.