Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ember's allergic reaction

hazelrunpack
October 10th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Ember just got back from an outing in a cut-over area out in the woods. He had a massive allergic reaction to something, not sure what. Although his breathing was never affected, his face and throat swelled, all of his skin turned bright pink (including inside the mouth and pads of feet), and he itched uncontrollably. :eek:

Once he got home, we gave him 3 25mg Benadryls and, on the advice of the vet, who is about an hour away, one of my 16mg Medrols (which I believe is methyl-prednisolone). That seemed to get the swelling and itching under control, but I'm worried about what happens when the pills wear off.

Do you think I should hose him off in case whatever he reacted to is on his fur? He's a typical setter--this would stress him out to no end...they hate water. :rolleyes: Or should I just wait and see what happens a few hours out when the meds wear off? I'm thinking I should wait...but a part of my mind says we have no clue what he got into and worries that maybe I should hose him off preemptively... :shrug: Anyone have any opinions?

breeze
October 10th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Hazel OMG
IMO I would hose him off anyway just to be on the safe side.. If your inself is telling you to do it then way wait, at least with the meds in him he might not be so kaffafled, and if it is on his fur what about the other doggies in the house..

hazelrunpack
October 10th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Hazel OMG
IMO I would hose him off anyway just to be on the safe side.. If your inself is telling you to do it then way wait, at least with the meds in him he might not be so kaffafled, and if it is on his fur what about the other doggies in the house..

Hmmm..actually, that comment about the other doggies makes me think maybe I can wait. He's curled up tight next to his sister, who tends to have similar seasonal allergies to his, and she's not reacting at all. None of the others did, either, even thought they all checked him out pretty thoroughly when he got home--he smelled pretty funky cuz he'd been in the woods, y'know... :o

The hose would really stress him and he's already stressed, though much better and a little spacy on the drugs. Maybe I should just take wet paper toweling and clean him up a little that way?

breeze
October 10th, 2007, 04:04 PM
If his pads were where he was itching the most , I would wash his paws where else was he itching the most?? I would wash there too, ok maybe not with the hose but a wash cloth, and doggie soap.

I know if it was Bree she would be in a bath in no time.. but thats me.. I do wash her paws on a regular basis, especialy in the winter with all the salt on the roads.with soap and water....

hazelrunpack
October 10th, 2007, 04:15 PM
His pads didn't seem to be itchy at all--just shocking pink. His face was really itchy--and that's the only place where it's still a little swollen (not pink anymore, though).

I just rubbed him down with wet papertowel, especially on his face. He wasn't too crazy about it, but it must have felt sorta good, cuz he didn't try to run away. :D

breeze
October 10th, 2007, 04:19 PM
this is good, the meds must have worked pretty good :thumbs up how long did the vet say to keep him on the meds??

what would make a dog swell up and turn pink like that?? poison ivy?? that is the only thing that comes to mind... can you tell I'm a city girl lol lol

hazelrunpack
October 10th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I have to check back with the vet before they close to find out if he wants us to give Ember more Benadryl tonight. The Medrol is probably a 24-hour dose--it's the equivalent of 20mg of prednisone and that's a pretty hefty dose!

hazelrunpack
October 10th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I think the poison ivy theory is out--we thought of that, too. But hubby didn't react and he had his hands all over him, looking for snakebite--he would have come in contact with the oil. I just check with hubby and he isn't itchy or rashy... :thumbs up

Gotta go make dinner. :fingerscr that Ember's jowls are back to their normal size by the time I get back. :D

mummummum
October 10th, 2007, 06:49 PM
From the anaphylactic symptoms around his mouth and throat and lack of skin eruptions it sounds more like a reaction to something he ate or got in his mouth or inhaled Hazel.

As for the bath... after contact with a poisonous plant like oak or ivy, because the nasty stuff is carried in an oil I think it would make more sense to gently rub an animal down thoroughly with an absorbent substance such a dry shampoo, cornmeal or rolled oats as water would spread the oil around the body (unless it was hot-hot-hot enough to break the oil down.)

How is he now?

Frenchy
October 10th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Poor Ember :sad: could it be the bad mushrooms ? Is he feeling better ? :fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
October 10th, 2007, 11:27 PM
OMG poor Ember :sad: hope he's feeling better very soon :goodvibes: :fingerscr :grouphug:

Duffy sends a :grouphug: for Ember too

Any other poisonous plants that you know of out in them thar woods? Was he snacking on something :yuck:?

:goodvibes: :dog: :pawprint:

TeriM
October 11th, 2007, 02:14 AM
From the anaphylactic symptoms around his mouth and throat and lack of skin eruptions it sounds more like a reaction to something he ate or got in his mouth or inhaled Hazel.

I would agree with that. Hope Ember is feeling better :fingerscr:goodvibes:.

Longblades
October 11th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Can you contact the owners of the property he was on and ask if it was recently sprayed with anything? Also, dogs are just like us and can all of a sudden react to something that didn't bother them before. Allergies can develop, seemingly out of nowhere, as well.

Lukka'sma
October 11th, 2007, 08:20 AM
I hope Ember is better today Hazel. You must have had a restless night worrying about him.
Waiting for an update.

Frenchy
October 11th, 2007, 11:39 AM
How's Ember today :goodvibes:?

hazelrunpack
October 11th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Sorry about the lack of update--shortly after I talked to the vet for the last time last night (about 7 p.m.), the phone network we're on evidently had a rather catastrophic failure. All the land lines were out and there's no cell service in this area. :frustrated: Finally got service again about 10 this morning. :rolleyes:

Ember is much better this morning. Still some swelling and pink skin, but much much improved. No more itching. Because of the quick onset, the vet thinks it was a bite--probably hornet or spider. I did find a very swollen, sore pad on one of his feet when the general body-wide swelling had subsided, so it looks like whatever bit him was something he stepped on.

I'll have to remember that about the dry shampoo/cornmeal, MMM--would likely remove any oils much better than water would! :thumbs up

:p The vet complimented us on the quality of our household pharmacy because it saved us a tense trip in (we're an hour from the vet). I laughed because if we'd been a healthier bunch, we wouldn't have such a pharmaceutical supply--it's really the first time I've been grateful for our full medicine cabinets! :laughing:

Longblades--we thought of that, too--the land is paper company land and is in the process of being logged off. They wouldn't spray it (if at all) until they were done working in the area, and then they always post a sign saying that the area has been sprayed with such-and-so and walk the land at your own risk until some date or other--no sign, and the logging equipment was still on site, so we don't think there was any nasty chemical there. :fingerscr (Just nasty bugs :p)

Anyway, Ember is on the mend, the phone lines are back and we're doing good! :thumbs up Thanks for all the good wishes!

clm
October 11th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Thank goodness he's better today.
Poor puppy and poor you.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
October 11th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Thank goodness he's better today.
Poor puppy and poor you.

Cindy

I think we're going to install a dedicated red phone line to the vet. Just pick it up and speak! :laughing:

shredy
October 11th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Hazel, I am so glad to hear that Ember is feeling better. I know how scary those allergic rxns can be, Shade had a few run ins with bees and her mouth and tongue would swell HUGE :eek: Good thing you had the benedryl and steroids to give her. Hopefully you can figure out the culprit so you can maybe avoid it in the future (I know this is easier said than done ;))

hazelrunpack
October 11th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks, shredy. Yeah, I doubt we'll ever find out who/what the culprit is. We'll just have to pack Benadryl and Medrol in the first aid kit when we go out, I guess. :shrug:

This afternoon, Ember is eating mud. Not sure if he's trying to settle his tummy from all the meds or if he's just tryin' to aggravate ol' hazel and keep her guessin'... :p He's had his mouth and feet hosed off about 5 times today, the messy, messy boy! :dog:

shredy
October 11th, 2007, 04:15 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing: I can just picture him with a muddy muzzle and paws looking at you like, "you can't be mad at me, I am sick :sick:" I hope he is ok... Shade eventually learned to be afraid of flying bugs (even flies which was really funny to watch), maybe he will know to look out for whatever it was that did this :fingerscr

rainbow
October 11th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Well, I'm a little late getting here. :o I'm glad that Ember is okay :thumbs up but it must have been pretty scary at the time. :eek: Hugs from me and the boys. :grouphug: :grouphug:

TeriM
October 11th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks, shredy. Yeah, I doubt we'll ever find out who/what the culprit is. We'll just have to pack Benadryl and Medrol in the first aid kit when we go out, I guess. :shrug:

This afternoon, Ember is eating mud. Not sure if he's trying to settle his tummy from all the meds or if he's just tryin' to aggravate ol' hazel and keep her guessin'... :p He's had his mouth and feet hosed off about 5 times today, the messy, messy boy! :dog:

I'm so glad Ember is feeling better :thumbs up. Is Miss Muddy, Messy Macie enjoying having a mud companion :D ?

Frenchy
October 11th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I think we're going to install a dedicated red phone line to the vet. Just pick it up and speak! :laughing:

:laughing: I'm glad Ember is feeling better and keeping his mom busy with the garden hose :D :evil:

hazelrunpack
October 11th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks, Teri and rainbow. He enjoyed those hugs, rainbow.

Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie missed out on all the fun. hubby dropped her off at the vet this morning on his way into work for a follow-up Anapla$mo$i$ screening. So she didn't get home till after all the mud work was done, poor dear. Tomorrow she can help :D

I don't think they'll ever learn about bugs, shredy. Cole and Lil Belle are the only ones that seems to be afraid of wasps, bees and hornets. The others either just ignore them or treat them as if they were irresistible dog magnets... Sigh.

Luckily, Brier has cast-iron lips cuz he tried to eat a yellow jacket that objected this afternoon and got stung inside the mouth. :rolleyes: *sigh*

hazelrunpack
October 11th, 2007, 08:23 PM
:laughing: I'm glad Ember is feeling better and keeping his mom busy with the garden hose :D :evil:

Ya, it would be a shame if hazel forgot how to hose off muddy paws... :D One of the finer pleasures of life! :laughing:

luckypenny
October 11th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I'm so happy Ember is doing much better, Hazelrunpack. What a scare! Gotta go review what's in our first aid kit....

hazelrunpack
October 11th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Sigh...the Benadryl from this afternoon just wore off and he's still reacting. I think I'll be making an appt for him this Saturday, poor guy! Luckily, he doesn't mind getting pilled--opens right up and says "ahhhh". :D

luckypenny
October 11th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Ok then :frustrated: , I'm happy he'll be seeing the vet on Saturday then :D . How exactly is he reacting now?

shredy
October 11th, 2007, 10:28 PM
poo! :frustrated: I thought he was better. I hope the vet visit can clear things up, maybe he justs needs a shot of steroids to get rid of the inflammation. Good luck and hugs and kisses to Ember from me! :grouphug::goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
October 11th, 2007, 10:29 PM
He gets puffy under the chin and around his eyes and he starts shaking his head because his ears itch. His skin isn't quite so pink anymore though :thumbs up

We'd found a sore spot on one of his pads and thought he might have stepped on a bug--but now I'm beginning to think it was a bite on the right side of his neck on the jowl. That side is swollen more than the left side and doesn't seem to want to get back to normal. He's sensitive there, too. I can't see anything, though, and I looked pretty carefully. :shrug:

He's still better than yesterday--haven't needed any more Medrol :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
October 11th, 2007, 10:31 PM
poo! :frustrated: I thought he was better. I hope the vet visit can clear things up, maybe he justs needs a shot of steroids to get rid of the inflammation. Good luck and hugs and kisses to Ember from me! :grouphug::goodvibes:

I'm hoping they'll just tell me I'm being a worrywart and he won't need any more steroids. :laughing: They do tell me that about being a worrywart quite often! :o

Ember says thanks for the hugs and kisses, shredy. He loves hugs and kisses! :dog:

luckypenny
October 11th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Maybe if you used some of your Settler Spittle on him :rolleyes: :D ???

hazelrunpack
October 11th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Maybe if you used some of your Settler Spittle on him :rolleyes: :D ???

:laughing: Good idea! Tomorrow I'll have the Pack get right on that! :thumbs up :laughing: Great way to test the product before we go to market :D he he

growler~GateKeeper
October 11th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Glad to hear Ember is doing a bit better :highfive:

Hmm maybe he stepped on bee/wasp AND got bit by a 'pidey??? Or is the swollen face side the same as the sore paw side? I think it would travel up that side faster :shrug:

:grouphug: & headbumps for Ember from Duffy & me :D