Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pees inside!

jmdterp
October 10th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Kaida is a 3yo fixed cocker. I have had him for two years, and he came "pre-trained." I have recently moved to MN to help my sister and brother-in-law with their kids. I am home all day with Kaida, and let him out often. I stand with him and say "go Shi shi". Some times he does and some thimes he does not. Through the day, I will find (specifically in the basement) pee and poo in random place. I keep the door closed, and then he pees in the main floor. When it rains, he refuses to even go outside! If he does, he favors doing his doodie on the deck, not the grass.

I know it is a new environment, there is a cat (they became friends) and three kids (he gets along with them... but the three year old can be a turkey!). Each time I clean it up, I have a cleaner with an oder to prevent him from peeing in that spot again. I praise him for going outside, and am working with the three year old by having him give Kaida treats. He is in good health, and gets plenty of walks. And still the behavior continues. Any other suggestions to get him to go outside and stop doing it inside?

t.pettet
October 10th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Timing is important to re-establish house training, so take him (on leash) when he first gets up, again at noon and repeat at 6 p.m. and before bed. Reward with small treat when he eliminates outside but ignore any mistakes in the house. Maybe the move has confused him and he needs some reminders such as walkies to learn where/when its acceptable to pee etc.

clm
October 11th, 2007, 06:21 AM
For some reason my breed hates getting wet. Well 3 of the 4 I've had anyway, Bentley is turning out to be a water dog:laughing:
Anyway, I can't depend on them doing anything outside if it's raining.....I have to go out with them to make sure. You're going to have to take the time to make sure he does what he's supposed to outside, either walk him around until he does or stay out there with him until he does....invest in an umbrella or you're going to get wet like I do. :laughing:

Cindy