Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crazy licking.

bendyfoot
October 10th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I think the correct name is "psychogenic allopecia" (not sure about the spelling).

Gracie is a crazy-licker. As in, she will lick her forearms raw and bloody occasionally when the mood strikes her for whatever reason. We can usually stop it by closely supervising and stopping the behaviour and redirecting to a "good" activity, and occaionally bandaging and using hot or bitter spray to keep her off the bandage.

Grace had a tooth pulled about a month ago, and she had a spot on her arm shaved for the IV. She's been at the bloody shaved patch with the crazy licking since that time. We almost had it looking better (went through rolls and rolls of vet wrap), and she started licking a NEW spot higher up. Now she's alternating between the two.

I know what you're going to say: use a cone. We can't. We have tried many kinds of cones, and attaching them to her body in many kinds of ways, but she will BUCK and FIGHT and FREAK until she either pulls the cone off or breaks it. Even if it's attached to her collar and the collar is so tight there should be NO WAY she can get it off...she gets it off.

She's now immune to both the bitter and the hot, even if we use tabasco, and is simply chewing off the bandages so she can lick more. We've gotten her new toys, including puzzle toys, and leave her with some nice stuffed kongs to work on during the day. she's still licking.

AUGH!!!!

Any survivors of crazy-licking out there with some suggestions?

Frenchy
October 10th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Tape her tonge to the back of her mouth :evil: just kidding.

Not long ago there was a thread about something else than cone , for those who didn't want to use it , I THINK it was for Rainbow's Chase and I THINK Ontariogreys posted about an alternative to cones .... I have to go back to work but will try to find the thread for you , of maybe Rainbow will see this one .....

bendyfoot
October 10th, 2007, 01:59 PM
I know about that cone that's not a cone...the one that looks like a neck brace....but it's no good for front leg crazy-lickers.

Siggggghhhh.

I hate seeing those raw-looking patches, it looks so sore!!!:wall:

Ford Girl
October 10th, 2007, 02:32 PM
From what I've learnt, this is a stress or anxiety related reaction, like tail chasing, and then it becomes obsessive for them. The saliva actually makes it feel better, altho it makes it worse, so the cycle continues.

What I have seen or read to do is place a leash on them, correct them before they get to the licking, there should be signs beofre she actually sits and licks. Panting, whining, etc...

Has anything changed in your house or life recently, that could coinside with the licking? Have you had it cheked out by a vet to ensure there isn't a medical explanation? Allergy? (I am sure you have, you are a very involved furmom!)

How much exercise does she get? Is she bored? Do you walk her? Just off the top of my head. :shrug:

bendyfoot
October 10th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Gracie generally has obsessive/compulsive tendencies. (over certain noises, objects, behaviours)...this one has been her most challenging one to break.

These licking episodes very rarely coinside with any changes in the house (we're a family that loves our routine, so changes don't happen often)...I think she did it once when my partner left town for a couple of days, but didn't do it the next time she left...

She gets two big walks a day through the bush, plus several romping/play sessions in the yard with our other dog. She has more toys than any dog has a right to own. Lots of good chewies, which she enjoys a lot and uses often.

There's no signs to indicate the licking is going to start (at least none that we've been able to see)...we have only been able to correct once we see her start to lick. The problem is, she KNOWS it's "bad" and will leave the room and hide somewhere so she can lick secretly.

edited to add: Our vet's the one who told us about the "psychogenic allo-whatever" that I can't spell...it's not an allergy. The rotten dog always does it in the same places on her arms.

Pain in the butt.

Ford Girl
October 10th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Man, that's tricky eh? I know you know what you are doing, cuz of Jaida and your other critters, you must be so frustrated. And to see them obsessed with it must drive you nuts! Have you talked to a behaviorist rather then a trainer? Can you leash her while just sitting around? What kinda dog is Gracie? I can't recall seeing pics?

bendyfoot
October 10th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Gracie's a purebred mutterooski...

seriously, we're not sure, but we think she's got terrier and collie, both of which can be high strung and prone to obsessive-ey stuff. It just sucks seeing those sore-looking patches. Mostly we can get her to stop long enough to let it heal and she'll forget about it for a long time, but this time has been really challenging ....

maybe next time we see the vet we can ask him for a referral or other suggestions. I just wish she'd tolerate a cone, it would be sooooo much easier!!! Jaida wore a cone and a tshirt for like a month and it didn't phase her one tiny bit, she just bobbed around and bonked her cone on every doorway for weeks, and did it with a smile. What different personalities our girls have!

Ford Girl
October 10th, 2007, 03:44 PM
she just bobbed around and bonked her cone on every doorway for weeks, and did it with a smile. What different personalities our girls have!

LOL! Isn't it funny to watch them compensate with the cone on! LMAO! Cracks me up, hit the couch, back up, hit the wall, back up, turn too sharp a corner, back up....hah! Pubert's worse then Dazy was with a cone on tho!

Hopefully someone can help you out here. It's hard to see them unhappy like that. :sad:

want4rain
October 10th, 2007, 04:33 PM
mutterooski...

dork, i googled that.

have you tried mood altering drugs? when you see her start licking, give her some puppy prozac and see if that doesnt help? its worth a shot if there really are mood altering drugs for dogs.

-ashley

bendyfoot
October 11th, 2007, 09:54 AM
dork, i googled that.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Hooooooo, boy, that's funny:laughing:

I'll ask the vet next week about the happy pills (I do know they exist, and have our cat on them...funny I never thought about it for Gracie)...I have to go back to pay off more Jaida-de-legging bills anyways...

dork, i googled that.

Ha, had to quote that one again, it's classic!

want4rain
October 11th, 2007, 02:16 PM
im speeeeshal. :)

-ash

bendyfoot
October 11th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Funny, I just googled it too, and the only thing that came up was my own pet forum ramblings!!!:laughing:

hazelrunpack
October 11th, 2007, 04:38 PM
what does Gracie think of Vicks? Some dogs hate it and won't lick anywhere near it. Others, however, develop a taste for it. :rolleyes: Might be worth a try--but if the spots are too big it won't work. You can't put it on the raw spot--only around it...it stings like heck if it's on the sore and then they'll lick it even if they hate Vicks just to make the stinging stop...

bendyfoot
October 11th, 2007, 04:46 PM
hm.....haven't tried vicks...that's a pretty good idea!!!

Although, Gracie likes the extra strong Halls a lot (we can't leave them lying around or she steals them)...but maybe the smell PLUS the goopiness would do it?

hazelrunpack
October 11th, 2007, 04:51 PM
hm.....haven't tried vicks...that's a pretty good idea!!!

Although, Gracie likes the extra strong Halls a lot (we can't leave them lying around or she steals them)...but maybe the smell PLUS the goopiness would do it?

Ugh! :yuck: Gracie likes those Halls drops!?! :yuck: :yuck: I won't even eat those! I'll bet she'll just love the Vicks, then... sigh

bendyfoot
October 11th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I'm telling you, my furkids are a royal pain in the ***:D

hazelrunpack
October 11th, 2007, 11:52 PM
I'm telling you, my furkids are a royal pain in the ***:D

Yeah, mine can be, too. But it adds to their immeasurable charm! :laughing: