Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

4 month old labradoodle - new here

Puppy_Pal
October 10th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Hi Everyone,
I came across this site looking of course to help my little girl...I got a puppy and never thought I'd get so attached so fast. I am usually interested in sports, having some beers and wings on the side. The good thing is, she'll get plenty of exercise...I am very active and love the beach and outdoors....she already is loving it.
She is overall healthy, but just recently she seems so be going pee in her crate and a couple of times she vomited in the middle of the night. I called my vet, and he said to measure her water intake for a couple days and let him know. Also, to feed her a little bit of food before bed so she doesn't have an empty stomach. She has had 2 bladder infections already, since her vulva is kind of tucked up a bit, it can trap dirt. I keep her as clean as possible, and overall she seems quite healthy. Just hoping to figure out this little problem. Oh ya, she also has anal gland issues...a ton of fun that is.
Look forward to talking with you all and learning more stuff to help.
Cheers

kiara
October 10th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Congratulations on your new addition! Did you ask the vet if the bladder infections could become chronic in the future? and if there is a food that could offer "preventive medicine " ingredients. Or maybe she just needs more liquids? You could add water to the dry food she eats. Bladder infections can be related to stress (they are in humans). Also the vulva has to be washed in a certain way, vulva first, rectum after, in that order. To prevent rectal bacteria spreading to vulva area. Also she just might be a nervous dog by nature? And you have to make sure she does not get overexcited. Good luck and we will need pictures.

Puppy_Pal
October 10th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Congratulations on your new addition! Did you ask the vet if the bladder infections could become chronic in the future? and if there is a food that could offer "preventive medicine " ingredients. Or maybe she just needs more liquids? You could add water to the dry food she eats. Bladder infections can be related to stress (they are in humans). Also the vulva has to be washed in a certain way, vulva first, rectum after, in that order. To prevent rectal bacteria spreading to vulva area. Also she just might be a nervous dog by nature? And you have to make sure she does not get overexcited. Good luck and we will need pictures.

Hi and thanks for the advice. I did ask the vet and they think there is a possibility that they could become chronic...I have read articles that letting a female go through a heat cycle before spaying will swell the vulva and could reverse the problem, but also have heard that it would increase the chances of types of cancer...I have yet to mention to my vet, but I will seek his opinion. As far as the water goes, he has asked me to monitor her intake....I never really noticed, but now that I am paying attention, she does drink quite a bit....he said her size (25lbs right now) should be drinking about 2.5 cups a day. That really doesn't seem like much. Today she has had almost 6 cups. Seems like alot. Is it maybe because she's still growing??
I hope to one day get that problems gone...she's happy and seems healthy otherwise. Just want to make sure I do my best to keep her healthy and make the right choices...she playing and bringing me her toy as I type this... :)

Puppy_Pal
October 10th, 2007, 06:59 PM
here's a pic of layla

Roscoe's Mom
October 10th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I'm hoping and assuming (you know what that makes me, right?) that your Vet has already done blood glucose testing. I only ask because it took 3 trips to different Vets to diagnose our 6 month old pit with diabetes. Puppy diabetes is very rare, but overall more common in females - guess that's why the first two Vets didn't even suspect it as ours is a little boy.

She's absolutely precious - what a sweetie! And yes, more pix please!!!!!

Puppy_Pal
October 10th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I'm hoping and assuming (you know what that makes me, right?) that your Vet has already done blood glucose testing. I only ask because it took 3 trips to different Vets to diagnose our 6 month old pit with diabetes. Puppy diabetes is very rare, but overall more common in females - guess that's why the first two Vets didn't even suspect it as ours is a little boy.

She's absolutely precious - what a sweetie! And yes, more pix please!!!!!

Hi there,
Thanks for the feedback. I will be following up with him soon about the water drinking, so I will mention this to him and see what he says :)
I'll keep you posted!!

Puppy_Pal
October 16th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Well...looks like the vet wants Layla to have some bloodowrk done after all. Not sure if he's testing for diabetes or liver etc.
She drinks about 5-6 cups of water a day. He says a dog her size should only drink about 2-3. She is about 25lbs right now, but still an active growing puppy, so I would have thought this was fine.
Hoping for good results....:shrug:

hazelrunpack
October 16th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I hope everything turns out okay. :fingerscr Is Layla on preventive antibiotics for the bladder infections? If so, that may be one reason her tummy is getting upset at night. :shrug:

She is a real cutie. :D

Puppy_Pal
October 26th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Just an update here - no diabetes for Layla.
The vet did say a couple of counts were high with some blood cells and a liver count I believe. (forgive me - I don't remember the medical names). He said that one can be high in puppys and one is kind of non-conclusive. He asked me to change diets, which I have done, and monitor her some more. I think he is going to do more bloodwork in a couple weeks, but doesn't seem overly worried or concerned..which I hope is a good sign. Just an update for those who might be wondering. :)