Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Poor Cat

TPL-FP
October 10th, 2007, 01:07 AM
I know it says no posting for Pet Emergencies, but I would appreciate people just reading what I have typed, and offering their opinions/advice. I am monitoring the situation very closely, and if it gets any worse, I WILL take my cat to an ER Vet, so please rest assured. I am simply seeing if my cat pulls out of this during the night, as she has pulled through illnesses before. I would much rather have her pull through the night so she can see her main vet tomorrow as opposed to a stranger tech at the ER. Since she is older and has already been diagnosed with Early Stage Kidney Failure, I would at this point in time much rather have her comfortable at home with the family if worse comes to worse. I am NOT depending on this forum for a diagnosis or advice on what to do, but I would appreciate some folks to talk with who understand my situation. Thanks ahead of time.

Back in Late June/July of this year my Cat, a Grey Tabby DSH, was diagnosed with Early Stage Kidney Failure. She has always had her ups and downs, but she manages to make do. Some days she is tired, and seems to climb stairs very slowly, but other days she is springy and full of life. She's 15 years old, so this no doubt has some effect as well. She had a rough life as a kitten, as she started out a street cat in a rough city where my grandma lived. She has gone through two of my grandmother's passing away, who to her were basically her care givers.

Just yesterday, my cat was playing with my friend and I as we were hanging out just chilling. She was really playful, and did her usual scratching up of these cardboard boxes we have laying around. Lol I have to smack my hands together to stop her, but I think she loves the attention.

Anyways, tonight my mom went downstairs to check on her because she noticed the cat wasn't meowing. We were cooking fish, and the cat ALWAYS comes to the stairs and meows when we cook this. My mom called me down, and said that my cat wasn't getting up. I went downstairs and found her just laying on her side with her head down, and legs pulled up to her body as if trying to keep warm. I noticed she did not get up for her food, which is not normal, but has occured every once in a while. She threw up too, but this is not rare.

I brought the water bowl to her, and she proped her head up to drink, but wouldn't make the effort to reach her head down far enough into the bowl to reach the water. I filled it up even farther, and this time she proceeded to really drink. She then got up for a minute, and walked around like the water made her feel better. She layed down again, but she DID look better. Still, she refused to eat her food when we put it near her, but we figured she knows what she can or can't handle at the moment, so we let it be. My mom put a towel over her to keep her warm. We then went out for a couple of hours.

I came home and found the cat still lying down. However, the towel was over by her bowl of treats, so she did get up to take a nibble. I paid some attention to her, but she got up and went back to the same spot we originally saw her laying down at earlier in the evening. Something about this spot she loves in particular. We figured it must be warmer. My mom just put a small blanket over her, and another towel. I just went down to see her, and she is STILL laying in the same spot. When I call her name, she plops her tail around. I petted her, and rubbed her head to which she did respond by putting her head up and looking at me. I tried to give her some water but she didn't feel like drinking.

Now here is the deal: My cat has been on a special diet prescribed by the Vet since July, it is Eukanuba Multi-Stage Renal Wet Food. I sometimes sprinkle on some of the dry version of this food just to add some texture for her. We always make sure her water bowl is full, and she has REALLY been downing water lately. The litter box had two big urine spots today in the litter, which is only rare in her case because she failed to cover them up.

Of course I will take her to the vet in the morning if she is still sick, I just pray she makes it through the night alright. I just simply do not know if she is sick because of:

A. The Kidney Problem?

B. Did she eat a poisonus bug? (We assumed one time before she had, as I have seen her kill bugs with her paws, and she was really sick once before).

C. Could she have caught something from my dog? (My Puppy Husky/Akita mix (up-to-date on all shots/pills) was recently so sick that she threw up two days worth of meals, lost 7 lbs., and threw up her water. She recovered in one day, but she may have caught this from the dog park, as others there have gotten sick dogs recently).

I am really scared for my cat, because I know she is up there in age and any sign of sickness could be the end. I really pray that she makes it through all of this, as I would really enjoy even another year with her.

Love4himies
October 10th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Your poor kitty, I am sorry, but I can't offer any advice except to take her to the vet. Some people mix pedialyte with their cat's water to give them extra energy when their kitties are sick. You may want to discuss doing sub-q fluids on your cat to help keep her hydrated and feeling better. When my cat had kidney failure along with cancer, my vet recommended a potassium supplement to help keep him energized.

Please keep us posted.

:fingerscr for a quick recovery.

krdahmer
October 10th, 2007, 11:14 AM
:pray: All I can do is send my prayers.

loopoo
October 10th, 2007, 11:52 AM
is she eating anything at all? a cat not eating even for a day can be very dangerous. She may be nauseated, from the crf, or dehydrated as mentioned. Have you tried getting her to eat a little tidbit of anything else? They can be very finicky due to the nausea, etc. and many find themselves going through food changes, it is most important to have them hydrated and eating even if its little bits. I hope all goes well, there are many crf cats that have their ups and downs, but can live happily for many many years. this is a link to an excellent site

http://www.felinecrf.org/

Lots of good information there, I hope your kitty feels better soon

growler~GateKeeper
October 10th, 2007, 10:32 PM
My cat Duffy has just recently been diagnosed with Early Stage CRF, I have been researching like crazy to find every tidbit of info I can to help prepare for anything that may come up. The site loopoo has given is an excellent one as is this one: http://www.felinecrf.com/index.htm and this one as well: http://www.felineoutreach.org/links.html#Kidney

From what I have read it is the kidney failure causing this problem in your cat - she needs to see a vet ASAP

Let us know how the vet visit goes :goodvibes:

:grouphug: :goodvibes: :fingerscr