Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Have you tried this kind of leash walking?

Ford Girl
October 9th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Hi Everyone! Just wondering who out there has tried leash walking their dog like Cesar Milan does, with the leash higher on the neck, with your head up, shoulder back, and in control attitude?? This thread isn't meant to start a debate on his theory's or his show, just wondering who's tried it and how it worked.

We watched the complete first seasons, then gave it a shot early last week. Immediatly Dazy responded positivly to it, we now walk 2 times a day on leash, no pulling, no sore elbows, no attitude. My husband and I can walk side by side, have a conversation, trade holding the leash without any issue what so ever. I can't belive it. Makes me want to walk her every day!! Having the offleash park behind my house, it was easier to go offleash all the time, instead of fighting her on the leash. We had tried obediance training for leash walking, clicker training for leash walking, neither gave me the control I have now. And, here's the funniest part...I usually use a martingale collar and a thick 6' leash...now we are back to using ther very first thin leash, looped thru itself as the only walkign tool, her collar is still on, but we dont use it for walking.

We even changed the way we leave the house, no hyperness, no excitment, we leash her and go, it's so much more a work out for both of us, quicker pace but more relaxing. I hold the leash with 2 fingers only. I have to say, I am absolutly amazed by this. I can't wait to go for walks. On Sunday, I showed my sister this, since they just rescued a dog, I handed the leash to her after she watched me, she took it and walked her a few blocks, no issues what so ever. Amazed.

SkyeGirl
October 9th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Yes, trying it with Dazy over the weekend was awesome. She did not pull and she walked wherever I did, by my side. I can't wait to try it with Skye! :dog:

les
October 9th, 2007, 05:06 PM
I started walking my 2 dogs like that after I started watching and listening to Ceasar. They are 2 70lb dogs and it's sooo awesome. They responded right away to it and it makes the walk so much more enjoyable!

I'm half tempted to get the Illuison collar that Ceasar's wife invented. My one dog has a really skinny neck and I find the loop around the neck constantly slips down on him.

JanM
October 9th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I hadn't heard of this but it sounds like something I would like to try with Amber. Nothing I do stops her from pulling!

I don't understand completely though - you say the leash is higher on the neck? not the collar?

les
October 9th, 2007, 07:37 PM
This is the link to the one Ceasar's wife created: http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/products/i-collar.php

I tried to move the collar alone up higher but the problem for me is that it just slips back down so the leash works better. (But a regular leash doesnt work - at least not for me!)

JanM
October 9th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Interesting - now I understand about keeping it high - I'll see if I can rig something up for Amber to give this method a try. Thanks for the link!

Roscoe's Mom
October 9th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Yes, it's a miracle working technique. Roscoe could pull my arm out of joint before I tried it. Now he walks like a perfect little gentleman. Even got a wonderful compliment at a Football game I took him to the other day.

Freyja
October 9th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I don't know. I like Tenderfoot's method. That way you give the dog the ability to make the decision for himself.

On the other hand, Lindy is reasonable on leash unless she is prey motivated (squirrels and rabbits, d@mn rabbits!!!) and I am getting tendonitis in my left elbow....

What about possible trachea damage?

TMac
October 10th, 2007, 10:10 AM
What about possible trachea damage?

That's what I was wondering too. I looked at the link Les provided...the front of the collar looks like it sits at a bad spot on the dog's neck?!

les
October 10th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Well ... I found that as soon as I started them walking like that .. meaning beside me rather then in front they instinctively understood that they were to follow and that made a difference to start with.

With the collar higher it's even better and it makes slight corrections so much easier and again they just seem instinctively to understand what I want, when before on a regular collar out in front they wanted to pull me around.

So, I don't think there could be damage (at least for my dogs) because they aren't pulling. They do get corrected when they get distracted but it's not constant.

I feel that mine are still making a choice themselves because they can choose to try and pull and then get the correction so I'm not "holding them" back and preventing it.

It's pretty amazing =)

les
October 10th, 2007, 10:16 AM
The thing is also (I feel) that the Illusion collar shouldnt be a permanent thing. It's a training tool so you can use it until your dog really gets it, then you shouldnt need it.

When I use a leash like that the dogs don't seem uncomfortable or in any pain so I'm sure it's not hurting them.

Ford Girl
October 10th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Honestly, I hold the leash with 2 fingers, I barely hang on to it, and the corrections are sidways, quick and firm but not a yank. Her head is already in an upward position, just a sideways reminder to keep focused. She's not panting, straining, pulling, so I don't see how this can damage her in any way, don't gentle leaders turn their heads to one side when they pull? I don't knwo, never used one. I also haven't been using a collar at all, I use a .5" thick leash, 4' long, backwards, end thru the loop, placed over her head, just behind the ears, it stays up and in place no problem. Cracks me up that all I need is the old leash I brought her home with.

Last night I walked Dazy and Voo Doo at the same time, for 45 minutes, one on each side, they jumped at each other once to play, at the very beginning, I corrected them, they fell into place, we walked at a quick pace, head up, dogs at my side, no pulling, lunging at passerbyers, I stop, they sit. This was the first time for Voo on leash this way, she looked at Dazy, and fell in line. AMAZING!!! That's all I can say. 2 dogs at once, makes me feel good about my self and the control I have.

Les is right, everytime we walk Dazy now, she just does what we expect of her, falls into place, at my side, each walk is less and less corrections. I stop every 20 mins to let her sniff and be a dog, then I get ready phsically but facing the way I want to go, tug the leash lightly, and she sees that I am ready to go and comes to my side, we go.

JanM
October 10th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Well, Amber just showed me how wrong I could be - she didn't pull once on the leash today- and I hadn't made any changes in what we were doing! I had been using the Tenderfoot Training method and was pleased at the progress then - boom - Amber was like she had never seen a leash before. This morning - she was an :angel: so I'll keep on with the Tenderfoot method!

Ford Girl
October 10th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Well, Amber just showed me how wrong I could be - she didn't pull once on the leash today- and I hadn't made any changes in what we were doing! I had been using the Tenderfoot Training method and was pleased at the progress then - boom - Amber was like she had never seen a leash before. This morning - she was an :angel: so I'll keep on with the Tenderfoot method!

Good job Jan, what ever works for you and Amber, I think consistancy is a big part of it! :thumbs up

PS - we need to see more pics of your dogs, the last ones you posted had lawn chairs and where from early summer, no? Let's see some more pics of your critters!!! :cloud9:

Dean55
October 10th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Yes I use this method with most dogs..

here is link of some dogs being walked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1U5WC1k1S4&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Edarnfar%2Ecom%2FDog%2520Tr aining%2520Videos%2Fjasmine%5Fvideo%2Ehtm

cheers

Roscoe's Mom
October 10th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Done properly, the collar is high on the head, right behind the ears. The owner has only a light tension on the leash - the dog will be walking at the side, not pulling in any direction, so there is no chance of damage. I never use a choke chain, don't believe in them after having one of my dogs almost choke to death because he twisted it and I couldn't get it off of him without someone using cutters.

Here is a demo link of the Illusion Collar by Cesar Millan. Shows the proper use of that collar and how the owner's take charge attitude changes the behaviour of the dog. I couldn't walk my pit at all until I applied these methods as he dragged me literally down the road. Now he doesn't pull, he doesn't choke himself, and I can walk him through a crowd of people and other animals without even so much as a bat of his eye.

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/products/i-collar.php