Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sweet Pea is in heat

Love4himies
October 9th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Aaargh, my foster momma went into heat this weekend:yell:. And how do I know this? Because, my stud muffin, Jasper, ran around the house with his nose in her but, until she finally stopped and he mounted her :eek:??? I jumped off the couch and seperated them then lost two nights sleep thinking maybe Jasper is not neutered (he is from the SPCA and they neutered him at five years old). I had no idea until a coworker told me that some male neutered cats will react to females in heat. Now every time she lets out a meow in her room, Jasper, howls back and her room is just outside my bedroom door!

Any idea how long her heat will last or will it depend upon the cat?

rainbow
October 9th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I think the average length of time is 5 to 8 days but it can last up to three weeks. :eek: Good luck and buy some earplugs. :D

LL1
October 9th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I would spay her.

goober
October 9th, 2007, 10:50 PM
spay her
as far as the mounting its just like a man whos been fixed
he can still mount but shoots blanks:laughing:

Love4himies
October 10th, 2007, 06:50 AM
I would have spayed her a few weeks ago, but she is not mine, she belongs to the SPCA (for now) and they will not spay while a cat is in heat or nursing kittens. They wait until three weeks after nursing has stopped. That was two weeks ago, so now I have to wait until she is out of heat.

A cat can be in heat for up to three weeks :eek:, I am praying for the five day period.

My male cat, Jasper, is quickly loosing interest in Sweet Pea, kittens are more fun to play with :D.

chico2
October 10th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Oh no,I hope you manage to keep your sanity and that her heat only lasts 8 days,or better yet 1 day:yell:
A few years back,a female in heat used to roam the neighborhood(she had a home)we could hear her from 5 blocks away,a terrible sound and my guys were going batty:cat:

Love4himies
October 10th, 2007, 01:04 PM
She is scheduled to be spayed the week of Oct 22. :clap: