Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

4 more years of dog haters?

seeker
October 9th, 2007, 05:50 AM
As I wake up this morning Tuesday Oct 9th the polls are telling me that we are in for 4 more years of the McGuinty government.
I am asking, how can this be ? After all the lies, ignoring the public on so many issues, broken promises, slushfunds,legal action against one particular group he made promises to, basically ignoring the farmers,the doctors and so many more issues that should have made the public angry enough to set the Liberals at 3rd party status. It appears they are heading to not only get re-elcted but also to a majority.
Was it poor campaigning by the other parties that has allowed this to happen? Or is it just because generally as Canadians we prefer not to rock the the boat at election time just in case the "other" guy we don't know is worse than the present one we do know?
Mr Mcguinty had the most to lose 3 or 4 weeks ago when this all began, well maybe it began way before that when he started the handouts early in the summer. Something it seems that we are swallowing hook line and sinker. He made the faith based school issue the major issue of the campaign and somehow got that minor detail to over shadow his poor record as Premier. Mr Tory's campaign was as lackluster as it was when he ran against Mr Miller. Howard did a decent job but not until about a week ago did he rattle the chains of the media, is it too little too late?
Was it negative campaigning by the opposing parties that seems to have "doomed" us into 4 more years of the status quo? Or was it Dalton rehashing his old idea of telling us what we want to hear that caused it?
Were the PCs and Liberals not almost tied in the polls a month ago? What the heck went wrong?

happycats
October 9th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Seems the "416" area always vote liberal, no matter what!!
We know many, many people in that area code, and they don't even listen to or read anything, or find out what each party is offering, they just vote liberal, and the reason......."we always have, and we always will"!

And I think as soon as the PCs announced funding to other faith based schools, the lost :sad: They had a good chance up until then.

chico2
October 9th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Yes,the faithbased school issue drowned Mr Tory,his new campaign,for instance bringing"home"9000 doctors from the US etc...we all know,just is not doable,unless he offers them private clinics.

I also believe Harris and Eves drastic cutbacks in everything from education,hospitals and the poor is still very fresh on peoples mind..the sheer arrogance of those 2,makes me cringe and then there was Mulroney..:evil:
Torys latest ideas to get votes seem a bit too desperate and definetly not believable.

I only hope,if McGuinty is reelected,he'll shuffle his cabinet and put Michael Bryant in the basement where he belongs.maybe doing latrine work:D

Chris21711
October 9th, 2007, 09:25 AM
I would not even want Bryant to clean my latrine, he is not worthy of it!

seeker
October 9th, 2007, 12:34 PM
The second 4 years of any government is usually worse than the 1st 4.
Re-electing him is like saying "it is ok to lie to us and we haven't had enough yet".
Remembering Mulroney it was the 2nd term that did the damage, it was Mike Harris's last term that makes so many remember the PCs. Take a look down south if you want a forecast of the dreaded "2nd term" and see what our friends in the US are enduring.
Yesterday was like "deja vu" McGuinty smiling as he said he won't raise taxes, didn't we go through this already?

rainbow
October 9th, 2007, 01:49 PM
The second 4 years of any government is usually worse than the 1st 4.
Re-electing him is like saying "it is ok to lie to us and we haven't had enough yet".
Remembering Mulroney it was the 2nd term that did the damage, it was Mike Harris's last term that makes so many remember the PCs. Take a look down south if you want a forecast of the dreaded "2nd term" and see what our friends in the US are enduring.
Yesterday was like "deja vu" McGuinty smiling as he said he won't raise taxes, didn't we go through this already?

That is sooo true. :sad: All I can do is sympathize with you guys. :grouphug:

bendyfoot
October 9th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I am soooooooooooo annoyed that this lying dingbat is going to govern my province for another term. :frustrated:

If this keeps up, I'm going to have to move to another province. Seriously. :yell:

chico2
October 9th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Politicians are politicians,McGuinty is not the first who have lied and won't be the last..I do not like to see his smiling face either,although we've always voted Liberal,not this time though...but I could never bring myself to vote PC,never,ever:yell:

twodogsandacat
October 9th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I can't believe it either. This time though I will have the right to complain because I am voting against him.

The best we can hope for is a minority government.

How Tory shot himself in the foot I don't know. Dalton stayed silent but in reality on Dec 6 2007 a lawsuit will come to court and it is highly likely that in this case they will recieve the declaration from a higher court that funding only one faith is unconsitutional. It is then likely that the lawsuits will continue to come so fast and furious that at the end of the four year term McGuinty will be forced to fund other faiths or none at all. He will then stand up and say his hands were tied and he was forced into it. Same result but no fallout for McGuinty.

Of course they will become more dangerous as they have learned that you can disrepect the voter and get away with it.

All I can say to groups these idiots target is sue this government every chance you get. As we have seen Michael Bryant can and does lose in court. BTW: Congratulations Mr. Bryant on having your new adoption law overturned in two days, I'm sure it's another record. I can only hope you have the same kind of luck in your next four years.

jesse's mommy
October 9th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I'm sorry to everyone who lives in that horrible province. It's so sad to see that society has come to the pathetic level it has. Maybe karma will come back and bite them in the a$$.

LL1
October 9th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Politicians are politicians,McGuinty is not the first who have lied and won't be the last..I do not like to see his smiling face either,although we've always voted Liberal,not this time though...but I could never bring myself to vote PC,never,ever:yell:

Same here Chico

mastifflover
October 10th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Well I did my part to get rid of the Libs. I agree could not vote PC either. Our liberal candidate and the NDP were both there this morning when me and Buddy went to vote. When the Lib said I hope we have your support I said my dog would never allow me to vote liberal, he has too many friends that are pit bulls. Also I emailed all my candidates regarding there position on the ban and the only one I did not receive an answer from was the Lib. Everyone else responded the same day on the next. Still waiting on the lib. By the way all were against the ban and felt it needs to be totally redone to be a bill about responsible ownership and stopping cruelty.

Byrd
October 10th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Crap!!! I just turned on the TV and it looks like our biggest fear is going to come true!!!

Right now it's Liberal 67 seats, PC 26 seats, NDP 13 seats, and Green 0 seats.

Shoot, and here I voted Green thinking that anyone who knew anything about the Bill would do the same. Also, the thought was 'it's time for a major change'.

:shrug:

I'm scared, and I don't even own a pitty! :sad:

mummummum
October 10th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Premier-elect Dalton McSquinty :yuck::sad:

wdawson
October 10th, 2007, 11:07 PM
bend over and grab your ankles....cause we are gettin scre*wed for 4 more years.:wall:

babyrocky1
October 10th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I'm too tired to come up with a single optomistic thing to say tonight.... I guess we just keep going with the appeal... i dunno....:shrug:
I'm glad Kormos and my MPP Rosario are back... but basically were back to where we started politically.
With Bryant celebrating again tonight..:mad:

babyrocky1
October 11th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Oh ya, and that little freak that Zimmer from the "kangaroo" committee hearings kissses Bryants but has been returned as well....:yell:

clm
October 11th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Only 50% voter turnout too. Always amazes me how many people don't bother to vote. Something I was always taught growing up was it's a sacred right and one that you don't shrug off. I wasn't wild about any of the choices, but I still took the time to cast my ballot. Shame on anyone who didn't and now tries to gripe about the result.

Cindy

Love4himies
October 11th, 2007, 09:29 AM
How Tory shot himself in the foot I don't know. Dalton stayed silent but in reality on Dec 6 2007 a lawsuit will come to court and it is highly likely that in this case they will recieve the declaration from a higher court that funding only one faith is unconsitutional. It is then likely that the lawsuits will continue to come so fast and furious that at the end of the four year term McGuinty will be forced to fund other faiths or none at all. He will then stand up and say his hands were tied and he was forced into it. Same result but no fallout for McGuinty.

How do you know about this lawsuit? I do not agree with gov't at any level funding any religious institutions (schools included). Gov't and religion should be seperate, period! One public system for all who wants it, anything that differs should be privately funded.

Love4himies
October 11th, 2007, 09:46 AM
How did he get in again? It is a sad day that many Canadians feel there is nobody they really want in government or they can't trust the politicians so they don't bother to vote.

http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/newsandevents/stories/2007/07-09n.asp

bendyfoot
October 11th, 2007, 09:48 AM
So, so sad.

I'm moving to Alaska.

Babs
October 11th, 2007, 09:54 AM
The question now is... now what?

The liberals have responded to questions about where they stood on the Bill with election questions, and they stand firm by it.

How do we get them see the err of their ways? Anti BSL posters depicting piles of dog bodies? Crying children as ACO's take their pets away?

It seems they made their decision initially by media influence... how do we get them on our side? Fight gore with gore?

seeker
October 11th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I hope I am wrong about what I imagine the next 4 years could be like.
Not just for us and our dogs but for anyone else they don't care about or want to ignore.

chico2
October 11th, 2007, 12:58 PM
OMG L4H.I read four lines of that story,thats more than I should have:sad:what a terrible outrage and unfairness:yell:
The problem is,sooo many people will cringe when you even mention"pit-bull"and agree with Bryants murderous law.
Even I,before joining this Forum,thought they were dangerous,until I met a couple of beautiful gentle Staffies owned by a young man and then all the pittie owners on this Forum.
So,I doubt this will ever change,the ignorance Bryant has shown,breeds more ignorance...But maybe if we shout from the roof-tops:yell:

twodogsandacat
October 11th, 2007, 11:13 PM
How do you know about this lawsuit? I do not agree with gov't at any level funding any religious institutions (schools included). Gov't and religion should be seperate, period! One public system for all who wants it, anything that differs should be privately funded.

Anybody with a web browser should have known about this before the election. It' public knowledge that the public didn't care to know about or inquire about. Maybe Mr. McGuinty should have been asked about it.

http://www.oacs.org/Axiom/News/2007/June/June27.asp

http://www.rhema.ca/news/2007/July/July27.html

Whether you are of the view that we should fund none or of the view that we should fund all you have made a choice that in the end violates the rights of no one and places no one above another....now that's fair.

That said my sympathies to all those that hate the McGuinty government as much as I do. Hug your dogs for me as they are some of the best dogs I have ever met and stay strong.:grouphug:

Shaykeija
October 12th, 2007, 02:21 AM
..I do not like to see his smiling face either,:

:laughing: In the ads on TV, if he would have flicked out his tongue he would have looked like a snake.( no insult to the critter snakes)

I sent him a email message that IMHO I thought him to be a dog hater, lier and a thug. And that he had lost my vote.
:evil:

Love4himies
October 12th, 2007, 11:57 AM
[U]Whether you are of the view that we should fund none or of the view that we should fund all you have made a choice that in the end violates the rights of no one and places no one above another....now that's fair.

:

The only problem with funding all is where do you get the money from, more tax increases??? I am for funding no religious schools. It is personal and should be taught in the home and at religious institutions, not in publicly funded institutions. Gov't should provide a quality public education, take it or leave it and go to a private school.

One rule for all, I believe in that, would eliminate a lot of bitter feelings.

seeker
October 12th, 2007, 09:51 PM
The only problem with funding all is where do you get the money from, more tax increases??? I am for funding no religious schools. It is personal and should be taught in the home and at religious institutions, not in publicly funded institutions. Gov't should provide a quality public education, take it or leave it and go to a private school.

One rule for all, I believe in that, would eliminate a lot of bitter feelings.

I don't think Tory wanted to create an infinite number of schools each for any of the dozens of religions out there. I think he wanted to bring the children of the different faiths into the public schools that are already there. Teach them the same curiculum as the public school already has but add a class to the schedule so that if people wanted their kids taught muslim for example they could take that class along with the other subjects. I heard him say that when these kids go to private schools we have no idea as to what they are being taught, he wanted to make sure they were taught the same as any other kid with the addition of their religion of choice as a subject only.
I could be wrong but that is how I understood it to be. I also believe there are 5 other provinces doing something like this already so there are models to study and Ontario was not going to be a pioneer on this.

seeker
October 12th, 2007, 10:29 PM
So what can we do or what do we do now?
I think we can all just not get so absorbed into all of this so that it disrupts our lives. We must continue supporting the Banned Aid group , we must continue to support the lawsuit and the appeal if needed. Lynn and I have invested too much of our time and dollars to stop now. We must see it through.
As for the election results. There isn't much to do right now, we have to wait this one out. But one thing we can do is pounce on any and every mistake, lie, court battle against different groups etc that they make in the future by writing letters to the editor of you favourite local or national paper. We must do anything and everything we can to point out the negative aspects of them in the public eye as well as point out an alternative way of how it should be done. It must be truthful as well and don't say anything you cannot backup.
Another thing that must be done and hasn't because we wanted to play fair is make sure the media runs stories of the other breeds that attack. It wasn't done before because we thought we needed the support of the owners of the other dogs and didn't want to offend anyone. Sorry but it is time to set the facts straight , if other breeds attack everyone needs to know about it, the story should be as loud and in our faces as it was if a Pitbull attacks. Will it prompt the government to ban other breeds? I don't know the answer to that but if it does, we will surely have the support of the owners then and they will join us vocally. Also from what I have seen of these guys they are going to do it anyway.
Here are some numbers from Tuesday.
52.8% of the eligible voters took the time to vote, of those that did vote 42% voted Liberal.
That means that 22% of the potential voters elected the Liberal government, THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!
Somehow we need to convince the 47.2% that didn't even bother to vote that they got shafted and we have 4 years to do it!

Ideas and comments.......please.

erykah1310
October 13th, 2007, 10:16 AM
I didnt vote, but believe me I wanted to...
It was error on my part indeed, I had enough time to realize the "error" on my card but I just didnt.
They had my address listed in the wrong municipality and when i went to vote where I was supposed to, they wouldnt let me, they said I had to go to the other municipality.... well I did, and then they told me I couldnt vote either there and sent me back. I was so pissed at this point I went home. Enough with the driving around.
I would have been better off going in with no card and just ID apparently, but I didnt think of it.

I'm sorry "Green" party.... I had all intentions of voting for you!

mummummum
October 13th, 2007, 11:28 AM
That's a shame Erykah! And yes, provided you had enough legitimate ID with you and verification of your address, they aren't allowed to turn you away.

But these things happen. In the last federal election I wasn't on the electoral list ~ despite the fact that I've lived here for 19 years and have never missed voting in a single municipal, provincial or federal election :rolleyes:

Saradog
October 13th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Now that I've finished being physically sick about the election results....

The only positive action is forward action. Time to work with Banned Aid again to educate the public on the issue of responsible dog ownership, the unfounded and unjust law, and get more funding for the legal challenge.

I'm ready for a fight again, how 'bout you? :D

Lise
October 13th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I can't believe he's in again.The Tories managed to lose an election against a lieing,arrogant,hated politician,an election that most people assumed they would win.I asked our Tory candidate how his party stood on BSL and was told they did not support it,but would not repeal it either.Imagine someone is killed by one of those dogs after they've repealed the law!! That's why they lost the election they too are a bunch of......well use your imagination.I voted NDP not because I support them,but because they are the least worst.Politics/politicians make me sick.

Lise
October 13th, 2007, 02:11 PM
:wall:I can't believe he's in again.The Tories managed to lose an election against a lieing,arrogant,hated politician,an election that most people assumed they would win.I asked our Tory candidate how his party stood on BSL and was told they did not support it,but would not repeal it either.Imagine someone is killed by one of those dogs after they've repealed the law!! That's why they lost the election they too are a bunch of......well use your imagination.I voted NDP not because I support them,but because they are the least worst.Politics/politicians make me sick.

NoahGrey
October 13th, 2007, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=mastifflover;487842]When the Lib said I hope we have your support I said my dog would never allow me to vote liberal, he has too many friends that are pit bulls.[QUOTE]

I LOVE IT!!!!

ACO22

wdawson
October 14th, 2007, 10:14 AM
but on a positive note..we now have family day...:rolleyes:

babyrocky1
October 14th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Awww, you could have voted WITH OUT ID, and WITH OUT your voting card, the District Returning Officer, (person in charge of each poll) is supposed to allow you to swear out a declaration... GEEEEZ, they should have told you that!

babyrocky1
October 14th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Now that I've finished being physically sick about the election results....

The only positive action is forward action. Time to work with Banned Aid again to educate the public on the issue of responsible dog ownership, the unfounded and unjust law, and get more funding for the legal challenge.

I'm ready for a fight again, how 'bout you? :D
"Pit Bull Awareness Day" is being hosted in Toronto, by the Pittie Co-op next Saturday the 20th.... That would be a great place to start... anyone coming?

bendyfoot
October 29th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I emailed my local Liberal MPP a while ago about the BSL and if they had any plans to add to them/change them (there were rumours circulating around here that they were going to add more breeds). I'm happy with the response (though still wouldn't vote Liberal). There's at least one sensible guy in the lot. Thought I'd share:

Thank you for your email, and my apology for the delay in responding.

I have not been party to any information or discussions concerning the expansion of breed-specific legislation. This is certainly a rumour, as this has not been discussed at Queen's Park or in caucus. I was not a supporter of the breed-specific legislation, and, on a whipped vote, I did not show up for the vote. That was my only alternative, having been told that, with my presence in the Legislature, I would have to vote with the government. I was not excited about staying away, however I did make it clear to my caucus where I stood on this matter. In my opinion, every dog owner is responsible for his/her dog, with the appropriate measures in place, individually, to control dogs.

I understand your concern, and I shall speak out for Jaida. Should I hear anything on this matter in the future, I shall certainly keep you informed.

Sincerely,

Jim Brownell, MPP
Stormont-Dundas-South Glengarry

babyrocky1
October 29th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I emailed my local Liberal MPP a while ago about the BSL and if they had any plans to add to them/change them (there were rumours circulating around here that they were going to add more breeds). I'm happy with the response (though still wouldn't vote Liberal). There's at least one sensible guy in the lot. Thought I'd share:

Thank you for your email, and my apology for the delay in responding.

I have not been party to any information or discussions concerning the expansion of breed-specific legislation. This is certainly a rumour, as this has not been discussed at Queen's Park or in caucus. I was not a supporter of the breed-specific legislation, and, on a whipped vote, I did not show up for the vote. That was my only alternative, having been told that, with my presence in the Legislature, I would have to vote with the government. I was not excited about staying away, however I did make it clear to my caucus where I stood on this matter. In my opinion, every dog owner is responsible for his/her dog, with the appropriate measures in place, individually, to control dogs.

I understand your concern, and I shall speak out for Jaida. Should I hear anything on this matter in the future, I shall certainly keep you informed.

Sincerely,

Jim Brownell, MPP
Stormont-Dundas-South Glengarry

WOW! What a great response..... and from a Liberal, honesty from a liberal! Wow.... this guy must be lonely when he goes to work...LOL
Yay JIM!

bendyfoot
October 29th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I was pretty surprised with the reply. I was a tad...er...stern...when I wrote my email to him. I guess I don't have to feel TOTALLY depressed that he got reelected in my riding.:rolleyes: The rest of his party probably makes him sit in the corner:laughing:

Love4himies
October 29th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I heard somewhere that process is the same for federal gov't, you are suppose to vote the same as your party leader. Where is the democracy???? I wonder how many Liberal MPP's in Ontario truly wanted to vote in favour of the pitbull ban or felt the same as Mr. Brownell.

bendyfoot
October 29th, 2007, 02:18 PM
The right of the MP/MPP to vote their conscience depends on the party leader...there's no hard and fast rules. Unfortunately, the Liberals have a long history of forcing members to vote along party lines. The Conservative federal governement so far has allowed members to vote as they see fit.

babyrocky1
October 29th, 2007, 02:39 PM
I heard somewhere that process is the same for federal gov't, you are suppose to vote the same as your party leader. Where is the democracy???? I wonder how many Liberal MPP's in Ontario truly wanted to vote in favour of the pitbull ban or felt the same as Mr. Brownell.
The only time that this is true is the inside caucus, meaning the Cabinet Ministers cuz they have to appear as one united voice.

I can understand this on some levels as when I was on the Board of Directors for my Co-op this was the case. We could disagree in the actual board meeting and even vote against something but if we were voted down by the others we did not have the right to publicly disagree with the board. It is still a democratic process as your voice is heard in the board... of course, when it comes to politics, who knows what happens behind closed doors!

I think the term "whipped vote" refers to the whole party having to vote for something. LIKE bill 132! ("pit bull ban")

seeker
October 29th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Over 4 years ago our premier promised the voters of Ontario that he would allow free votes so that members did not have to vote the party line.
As has happened so many times since then, the lie was exposed during the voting in of bill 132. As all liberals in attendance were forced to vote with the party.

babyrocky1
October 29th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Politics Shmolitics... heres a pic from one of the costumed "pitties" at the Co-ops
"Pit Bull Awareness DAy walk"

babyrocky1
October 29th, 2007, 11:12 PM
a few more....

babyrocky1
October 29th, 2007, 11:14 PM
And another

babyrocky1
October 29th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Special friends from a distant town ... came a very long way to celebrate the day with us!
Should be familiar to a lot of you....

babyrocky1
October 29th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Group shot!!!

chico2
October 30th, 2007, 08:30 AM
OMG,those horrible things on those beautiful dogs,I sooo feel for anyone having to do that to their dog.
I just read in the paper Michael Bryant is no more Attorney General,he's been shuffled to Indian Affairs:thumbs up..at least we do not have to look at his arrogant mug anymore and hear his rants of"ban,ban,ban"also he won't be getting as much exsposure on TV,which he loved so much:thumbs up

bendyfoot
October 30th, 2007, 11:13 AM
:thumbs upBeautiful pups! (Thanks for the break from the heady stuff, babyrock!) :thumbs up

seeker
October 30th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Nice pics!

babyrocky1
October 30th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Nice pics!
Jazmines mom took them. theres more of Zelda on the Yahoo Group. You can take them from there at full size I think.... for printing, If not let me know and Ill Email them to you.

babyrocky1
October 30th, 2007, 01:18 PM
:thumbs upBeautiful pups! (Thanks for the break from the heady stuff, babyrock!) :thumbs up
Anytime, Bendyfoot...LOL I got a million of em...hahahahah
Im finding it easier to post lately.....:fingerscr Hope I haven't just jinxed myself. lol
Oh Chico, you should come to one of the special afternoon walks we do!
We always need extra hands for extra paws...LOL