Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vocal Cat -- Please help ; ;

Firiku
October 8th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Hello, I'll start my story off by saying that Im an 18 year old bachelor living with 2 roommates (1 with a mild cat allergy and the other who doesn't like my cat for w/e reason) going to college. about a year ago my parents got me a kitten which was born to a half bobcat out in a rural part of town. This said, my cat is quit well behaved for where it came from: A) a semi wild cat B) the wilderness

the only problem I have is that it is extremely vocal, to the point that my roommates and the strata system I'm living in are getting angry. the other night my neighbors brought my cat to my front door saying he'd been driving them crazy.

So now we have to keep him inside at night. (which we were planning with the coming winter) Hes fine for a few hours at night while everyones awake but at night time when everyones asleep he claws at doors and meows for hours on end(he honestly doesn't give up... I swear), I leave my door open for him to come as he pleases but the other roommates decline to do so. as a temporary solution we're using a spray bottle but its only shuts him up for about 20 minutes

So my question is to you, How can we solve this problem? I don't want to be as drastic as giving surgery or getting rid of him, because hes family ^^

Thanks for your time
-Garrett:pawprint:

Frenchy
October 8th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Is he neutered ?

Firiku
October 8th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Is he neutered ?

Oh yes, sorry I should have added that, Hes neutered w/ shots

he always has access to food/water/litterbox

He gets plenty of attention

Frenchy
October 8th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Good ! :thumbs up So my guess is , he just wants to go out ... so I would keep him as an inside cat only. He will get use to it don't worry. My 2 cats use to live on the streets before I adopted them. They are always inside now and never ask to go out. For your roomates , I can only suggest ear plugs :shrug:

Jim Hall
October 8th, 2007, 10:37 PM
does he have a place by a window to look out ?

sometines that will quite them down

Firiku
October 9th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Good ! :thumbs up So my guess is , he just wants to go out ... so I would keep him as an inside cat only. He will get use to it don't worry. My 2 cats use to live on the streets before I adopted them. They are always inside now and never ask to go out. For your roomates , I can only suggest ear plugs :shrug:

Earplugs is a good idea for all of us haha, I never even thought of that... cus he only meows at night...

Love4himies
October 9th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Cats will eventually learn new routines, it just takes some time so in the meantime Frenchy's idea of earplugs is probably the only solution for getting some sleep.