Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help, our cat is pooping on our dining room floor, not in his litter box!

michele3873
October 8th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Our 7 year old cat has recently started pooping in our dining room and not in his litter box. He keeps pooping in the same exact spot....right on our oriental rug. :mad: The issue is only with pooping, he still continues to pee in the litter box.

We can't figure out why he is doing this. Nothing has changed in his routine. We have had the same covered litter box in the same spot for the last 2 years. He has used the same brand of cat food (Natures Choice) and same litter type (Scoop Away) since he was a kitten. We have no other pets, kids and no changes have been made to his environment.

The poop looks like a normal amount, size, and consistancy.
He went 2 times today. Such a nice present to come home to after a long day at work.:mad:

At the suggestion of a co-worker....I took the cat to the spot, showed him the poop, then scooped it up and put it in his litter box. Showed him the poop in the litter box and placed him in the litter box. He scratched and covered it with litter and walked back out. I am not sure if this will solve our problem.

My mother in law mentioned that maybe someone was in the room where the litter box is and it disturbed him and he started to go somewhere else. Interesting since my father was over visting the day it started, however it wasn't the first time my father has been over to visit, although we did spend more time than ususal in the room where the litter box is. However if that was the reason, would the cat still continue to go in the other room long after my father had left? And if so, how do I stop this behavor now that it has started.

My mother in law also suggested I close off the room to stop him from going in there for a while, but unfortunatly we have an open floor plan, so that is not an easy task.

Any suggestions? I plan on making an vet's appointment for this weekend, but I figured I would ask here first.

Freyja
October 8th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I am not sure why he is doing this, but I would clean the spot with an enzymatic cleaner.

growler~GateKeeper
October 8th, 2007, 09:49 PM
def need enzymatic cleaner - they can still smell it even if you can't ;) & will go back to the same spot

have the vet do full blood tests - because he is 7 he should have a geriatric panel & urine analysis done....sometimes it can be medically related - which you will not know about until the tests are done (my 16 yr old cat was diagnosed early with mild hyperthyroidism & just recently with early kidney failure - because I had the tests done - if not for the tests she might not be with me today)

the other suggestion is get a 2nd litter box in a different spot say the bathroom, alot of cats prefer to do #1 in box a & #2 in box b, even if they have only ever had 1 box

you say the litterbox is in a room where people spent alot of time in - most cats will prefer some privacy - which is why the bathroom is always a good place for it, not a lot of traffic/noise on a consistant basis

the general rule of thumb is 1 box per cat plus 1 ie 1 cat 2 boxes

let us know how the vet visit goes - def get the above mentioned tests done
welcome to the board, we would love to see pictures :)

Love4himies
October 12th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Try growler's suggestion, my cats like privacy so we keep their litter boxes in a room in the basement.

Janie123
October 12th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Maybe he needs more attention? Just a thought.

chico2
October 12th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I am not a great fan of covered boxes and neither are my cats(3),that's probably not the problem,just a thought:cat:

Chicklet
October 12th, 2007, 04:08 PM
The oriental rug can you remove it?
If so try it, I bet he'll stop.

I don't quite understand it, something to do with the way it feels or smells maybe,

I had this happen to me with several pets over the yrs, Certain rugs they just gotta go on,

even now 1 of my shi-tzu's has this thing about my husbands shag rugs he has in his bathroom, she just can't resist peeing on them, Yet if I remove them she never pees there, goes faithfully outside or on her puppy pad.
And I have other rugs thru out my house but she never bothers them, Only those certain ones,
and it don't matter where I move it, she moves with it,

Don't know how many pets I've had over the yrs do this exact same thing, Till finally I just got rid of those type rugs