Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cutting nails back during surgery?? My

SnowDancer
October 8th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Eskie is going in to have his teeth cleaned Oct. 17. Since he will have to be put under for the procedure, someone suggested that I ask the vet to trim his nails back further than can be done in a normal clipping. Eskies have the claws (and jaws) of death so this would be wonderful. My concern is that he would have some pain walking afterwards - vet would be careful, but I have been thinking of times I have cut my nails down too far due to a nail break - and it sure hurt. He is 3 1/2 years old so blood panel will be done same morning and the EKG - unfortunately the little devil is going in the night before - hate to do it, but my husband always has loose kibble in pockets that the angel will find, and of course it will rain and there will be water puddles on the street and no doubt chicken or hamburger or whatever other rubbish dropped on street during night - and then I would have to cancel procedure. He hates crates, but what can you do? Unfortunately, despite having fabulous teeth, nothing he chews hits the side teeth - top and bottom - and now his breath has turned bad, so he is having dental done before things become serious. Maybe the vet can teach him how to use a toothbrush - without breaking it. Thanks.

t.pettet
October 8th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Have had nails cut back and cauterized on a few rescues with talons - nails so long they were curling back into the pads. The quicks were so extended that only 1/4 inch could be clipped without profuse bleeding and pain not to mention the struggle with biting and yelping. There was some discomfort after the procedure but with pain meds for a few days and eventually being able to walk normally without the pads being dug into they really enjoyed their new freedom of movement. I had to do a nail clipping every 2 weeks on these dogs to maintain their short length as the nails seemed to grow extra fast for about 3 months after the vet visit.

SnowDancer
October 9th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Thanks, t.pettet! Yikes, maybe I will just have teeth done. He goes every Thurs. to socialization at his groomer's and frequently has his nails clipped then - they grow very fast and do not wear down on pavement. I haven't mentioned having nails done to vet yet, but they fully expect that after having his teeth cleaned on the Wed. he will be fully back to normal on Thurs. (barring something unexpected happening - I confess to being terrified of the blood test more than the procedure - as I have been there, done that - blood tests can reveal all sorts of things so I will be very nervous on Wed. morning.).