Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new here-need help with sick dog

luvmybuddy
October 7th, 2007, 05:35 PM
i am new to this but had to try everything i could to help my dog buddy. he started vomiting friday evening and is becoming more and more lethargic. i took him to the vet saturday morning and he said that since he had no fever it must be the bones in the turkey neck he ate earlier in the day. he has been on a raw diet (the turkey neck was a smoked treat not the raw ones i usually give) and solid gold kibble-i alternate between the solid gold and natural balance. my other 2 dogs ate the same thing with no problems. i no longer buy supermarket brands, they have been on this diet since the food recall so i don't think it was his food. anyway, he has eaten no food and can drink very little water and his vomit is now green. the vet had given me something for nausea but he threw that up too. he is a pit bull, about a year and a half. he has been in excellent health til now. i have a huge fenced yard but no poisonous weeds so i think i can rule that out. this morning i thought he might be a little better and did not take him back (the vet was going to meet me if he was worse), but as the day progresses i think he is really getting worse and very uncomfortable. what can i do to help him? i am afraid he might have pancreatitis as i read that it will cause green vomit. i will certainly carry him to the vet in the morning but am so scared that the longer i wait without doing anything the more chance he could get in such a condition that he can't come out of. i have a call in to the vet now to try to get him to see him tonight but he hasn't called back. this dog has been my best friend and i can't bear to see him feel so bad, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

luckypenny
October 7th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I would definitely get him back to the vet's asap, especially if he's progressively getting worse.

Smoked turkey neck is the same as feeding a cooked neck. Sometimes worse if the neck has been dried. If it was a naturally smoked neck (meaning using a smokehouse and not flavoring), the meat is often salt-cured (as a short-term preservative) then smoked. Most smokehouses run on a combination of gas and sawdust and heat is involved, thus cooking the meat being smoked. Also, depending on how long ago the neck was smoked, there is always a chance of an extremely high bacterial content which could result in poisoning. If you're going to feed bones, please make sure that it's always raw.

Can you bring your dog to the vet without having him call you back? Is there another emergency vet available to you? :fingerscr that everything will be alright. Please let us know how he's doing.

luvmybuddy
October 7th, 2007, 07:16 PM
thanks for the reply, i called the vet and he hasn't returned my call, i think he's getting tired of me calling on the weekend. the emergency vet here is not much help. the last time i used them they did nothing but tell me to take him to the vet the next day because they couldn't do anything like bloodwork. that was quite a few years ago but it was a useless trip. the turkey was a treat that he only gets on rare occasions and my other 2 had the same thing with no problems. they all eat raw and solid gold kibble with some treats now and then. i am really getting worried because the vomit is green and he seems very achy. he droops his head and can't get comfortable. i am not worried about vet bills as he is worth everything i have, but i don't want to put him through the trauma of the trip if they won't do anything but tell me to take him back to his vet in the morning. the vet thinks he had trouble from the bones but i really don't think it was his food. he has no fever which is why the vet did not think he had a blockage or poisoning. i am scared he could have pancreatitis or something but again, no fever so i am at a loss. this is the first time he has been sick since i've had him- over a year. he's a great, normally very active dog and it is hard to see him feeling so bad. i wondered if anyone had any ideas on illnesses and discomfort without fever

luckypenny
October 7th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Perhaps the emergency vet has improved over the last few years. Either way, I'd get him to a vet, any vet, especially if he's vomiting green, and as you say, getting worse. Not everyone, nor every dog, will have a fever with infection. At the risk of sounding rude (that's not my intention), I don't think anyone here will be able to diagnose your dog on-line. Please seek professional care for him asap. Good luck.

rainbow
October 8th, 2007, 07:17 PM
How is your dog doing? :fingerscr :goodvibes: