Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tips for kitten cleaning please

Suecav
October 7th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Hi All,
I just joined today and posted my question in the introduction section :shrug: Oops!
Here it is again.....
Yesterday I brought home 2 (rough age 4-6 weeks) kittens from the rescue centre I took them to 4 days ago. One of the kittens is mostly white and when he eats his kitten food mixed with formula milk he shoves his face right in it and so of course gets covered in it. Well it looks like it hasn't been cleaned thoroughly while he was there and he is quite crusty around the neck and cheek areas and also stained brown. I tried several times yesterday to clean him with a soft damp cloth and while I am able to take off any surface mess I am unable to give him a more thorough clean as I don't want to rub him raw. Any tips on how I can clean him up properly would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance,
Sue

badger
October 7th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Try a fine-toothed comb, very gently in short snatches. Wet the area first with the cloth to soften it up. Little by little. They're not Persians I hope! :)

Suecav
October 7th, 2007, 03:09 AM
No they're not Persian, thank goodness lol.
Thanks for the tip. Will a nit comb be ok?

badger
October 7th, 2007, 10:22 AM
I can't remember what a nit comb looks like but you want the 'teeth' to be narrow and set close together. If you wet her fur a bit, the tugging is less likely to bother her. Of course stop the minute she fusses, because odds are you'll have to do this several more times.

Suecav
October 7th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks Badger :-)

A nit comb has very narrow teeth, maybe too narrow? I'll give it a go and see how I get on. He's actually not quite so grubby or crusty today anyway but the brown stain on his face remains. Will that just gradually wear off? I don't really want to keep rubbing it in case it makes him sore.

Love4himies
October 9th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Can you soften the crusties by holding a tiny warm wet cloth on the area, not rubbing, then combing their fur?

Normally momma would be cleaning the kittens after each meal until the kittens are doing it on their own, this kitten sounds very young. Are you able to clean them as soon as they finish eating? Did these kittens have a momma or were they being hand fed by humans?

Suecav
October 9th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Can you soften the crusties by holding a tiny warm wet cloth on the area, not rubbing, then combing their fur?

Normally momma would be cleaning the kittens after each meal until the kittens are doing it on their own, this kitten sounds very young. Are you able to clean them as soon as they finish eating? Did these kittens have a momma or were they being hand fed by humans?

Hi there :)

He's actually cleaned up not too bad now. I clean him up after every meal and he's even having a go at doing it himself now. The main problem now is the brown staining on his white face from the kitten food. I'm guessing that will eventually wear off. Their Mum died 4 days before I had them and I think they were pretty much left to fend for themselves for those 4 days:sad: I did a post with a lot of info in the Introduction folder. I think it's titled Hi Folks. There are some pics there too :)