Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

911 I'm A BAsket Case!! Quickly please!!

want4rain
October 6th, 2007, 04:12 PM
4:05 eastern standard time. we are leaving here in 30 minutes to go to the emergency vet...

anyways, Hunter started showing some facial bleeding that could have been passed off as anythign from fighting to a flea reaction. i treated 3 days ago for fleas. it hadnt gotten worse until today. there is about an american dime's worth of skin missing from his whisker area. no other marks on his body besides that.

he isnt bothered by this in the least. he has been napping all day on the couch. eating and pooping well. his brother came by and gave him a bath but i didnt look at his face after that.

none of the other cats show symptoms.

CAN i wait for monday to go to our regular vet? am i panicking prematurely?

i ahve to say, we are totally out of money. but i dont see how we can get out of a full nutritional panel... an exam... thankfully he is obviously not dehydrated.

we have him on a raw diet and im afraid the vet will blame his diet before anythign else.

id also like to point out that IM itchy, my daughter is itchy. i have more than a few bites of some sort.

thanks for any speedy responses!!

-ashley

chico2
October 6th, 2007, 04:44 PM
W4R,WOW,I can just hear the panic between the lines,I hope by now you have this resolved.
Personally I would wait until Monday,if it does not seem to bother Hunter too much,whatever it is..are you sure he was not in a cat-fight???
How did you treat him for fleas,hopefully not a spray:eek:
Good luck,hopefullt everything will turn out to be nothing:pray:

Roscoe's Mom
October 6th, 2007, 04:55 PM
What do your bites look like? Do they correspond time wise with when you treated for fleas? Did you treat the house at the same time? Fleas will bite people if their animal host no longer accommodates them. Usually on the lower legs, ankles, etc. but can be anywhere. Some people are very susceptible, some aren't.

Is the sore getting larger, or going deeper? If you wait til Monday, which seems ok if it doesn't worsen, be sure to keep it cleaned out, and don't let it seal over.

Hoping it all works out for you!

:)

Luba
October 6th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I wonder if this is a reaction of sort to the flea treatment. What did you use?

want4rain
October 6th, 2007, 06:50 PM
thanks for responding so quickly, sorry to say i didnt even check back before we left!

the vet wasnt sure what was wrong. he wouldnt stop itching and pulling more skin off so we just left.

he is with an e collar. any advice as to getting him to keep it on? he is freaking out over it.

ill get more later, right now im hungry and got my hands full. :)

thanks guys!!

-ashley

badger
October 6th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Did I read somewhere that Benadryl is safe for dogs?

allymack
October 6th, 2007, 07:49 PM
ahhh, e collars!, enzo had one on for about 20 days. they eventually get used to it, but what ever you do dont take it off!!( even if he looks miserable) and dont take it off before the vet says to!, i did this, enzo only had to wear it for 10 days at first but i felt so bad about him having it on that i took it off, i figured that if i watch him closely he wont like and bite at his stitches, wrong!, even the odd little lick he got in made the stitches raw, not good, although i am not sure if an e collar will help if the wound is on his face, but he will get used to it eventually. hope this helps :) and i hope he gets better soon

want4rain
October 6th, 2007, 08:07 PM
he has finally settled down. the vet gave us clavamox because of how OPEN the wound is. he got it off once (its to be used at our discretion) but he went right to itching it. i suspect half of his frantic desire to remove the ecollar has partly to do with it simply being there but it also seems like he is looking for things to itch his face.

we will be giving benadryl to him but have been warned that soem cats react very badly to it, making them more hyper than less itchy. gave him a half dose a few minutes ago.

we dont know whats wrong but will either see our vet on monday for a biopsy/scraping/whatever else they feel is needed. failing that, there is a dermatologist we can see on wednesday.

he has kind of given up fighting it. i think he is only really freaking out when it gets too itchy. he is currently laying down in our laundry basked full of wet clothing. i had Chris help me get a DRY blanket IN the basket under him. got some cute pics. :) might get those up for you guys tomorrow.

my poor guy, his face looks so painful.

oh, we ended up putting a collar in the ecollar to get the ecollar to stay on. i keep checking because i FEEL like it might be too tight. we can fit two fingers in though, but its snug.

mama's poor sick boy. :sick:

-ashley

Frenchy
October 6th, 2007, 10:04 PM
we can fit two fingers in though, but its snug.

Don't worry , if you can fit your finger under it , it's not too tight. I hope you get the answer soon :fingerscr

want4rain
October 6th, 2007, 10:39 PM
sorry, meant to also say that he had the spots which looked like a mild reaction to flea bites on his face and ears around monday. it was worse but not alarming on tuesday so i figured it was fleas not that his bro beat him up. i treated with revolution on the neck wednesday. no change until today. he just started itching it like mad and ripping a hole in his face. i will post it later as a link so you can choose to look or not. its not terribly graphic but isnt for the weak of stomach.

im glad we went to the vet (although my pocket isnt) because he woudl have just kept worrying with it. we took it off for a few minutes to let him go potty, eat some, give me a bath and torture a grasshopper. after he sedated his more primal needs, he worried at it a bit so we put it back on. he is now sleeping in the laundry basket that first had wet clothes in it but now has a big fluffy comforter in it. poor poor Hunter. :( we will see how things go later in the week.

-ashley

chico2
October 7th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I cannot imagine having an itch,unable to scratch it(I am a scratchy person:laughing:)poor Hunter,hopefully he'll clear up soon:pray:

want4rain
October 7th, 2007, 05:12 PM
i promise, pictures later tonight. poor baby.... my sadistic husband thinks its FUNNY one of our pets FINALLY has a cone head LOL!!

-Hunters Nurse

Frenchy
October 7th, 2007, 05:19 PM
. my sadistic husband thinks its FUNNY one of our pets FINALLY has a cone head LOL!!

-Hunters Nurse

Let me send him Sam the next time he has to wear one. Being followed in the house by a 100 lbs dog wearing a cone that keeps banging behind your knees is less fun :p (you should see the size of his cone :eek:)

want4rain
October 7th, 2007, 06:18 PM
gawd, i cant imagine Mister with a cone!! LOL

-ashley

want4rain
October 7th, 2007, 10:53 PM
ok so i lied. im not getting pics up today. we carved pumpkins and while taking pictures, my batteries died! im recharging them. if all goes as its suppose to, we will have pics tomorrow. :)

-ashley