Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Got a new cat

Bluedrake
October 6th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Whew!

Went to the SPCA today and brought a new cat home. My resident kitty is not too happy about it, but I'm sure she'll get over it.

Since I live in a small apartment, I can't really keep them separated all the time, but they will be kept from each other during the night and while I'm at work. The rest of the time (when I'm there), I let the newbie wander and explore a little bit. The other cat has taken refuge in her tree to watch the newcomer. :rolleyes:

Well, my new cat is a cute little ginger tabby. About one year old, the SPCA people said. She was reaching out of her cage with her little paws and meowing, saying "pick me! Pick me!" :lovestruck:

I've decided to call her Erin, cause I like Irish folklore and, hey, she's a redhead!

Surprisingly enough, the hissing has only come from the resident cat. The new one seems content to keep her distance. And the car trip from the SPCA to home went as smoothly as can be. Not one sound out of the little darling.

She played around for about an hour with little stuffed mice I keep, while the resident was perched up and looking on in disaproval. Afterwards Erin curled up for a little nap on my lap/shoulders/belly/face :laughing:

I'll let you know how things work out between the two kitties.

Frenchy
October 6th, 2007, 03:07 PM
What ? A new kitty and no picture for us ? :sad:

Congratulation on the adoption ! :thumbs up Don't forget to give the resident at a break by putting newbie behind close door for awhile. They should be fine after a few weeks , keep us posted. :cat:

Bluedrake
October 6th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Give me some time to take the pictures, Frenchy! :D

Here's some. The first picture is of Chinook (resident), and the orange one is Erin.

Frenchy
October 6th, 2007, 03:53 PM
awww ,they're too cute ! Let's hope you will be able to post pics of them cuddling in no time ! :fingerscr

chico2
October 6th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Awww what cuties,is Chinook a male or female???
Since Erin is not the fighting kind,I am sure they'll be buddies in notime.
Like Frenchy says,it's important you give Chinook,more cuddles so she does not feel left out,although Erin is sure a little sweetie:lovestruck:

Bluedrake
October 6th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Chinook is a female. So I got meself a pair of girls now! :cloud9:

I was going for a boy, but you know how it is when you get to the shelter. Your heart does the talking instead of your brain. :laughing:

Erin has a very mild disposition. When it was feeding time, she almost ran into Chinook, who threw a hissy fit, and Erin made no sound back. She just backed away, and managed to get herself cornered. So I picked her up, set Chinook's food down and carried Erin away, then she got her food.

Only thing is, Chinook kept sneaking glances at her, so I put them in separate rooms. Chinook almost behaves like a jealous wife. I have to wash my hands before I pet her, because otherwise she smells Erin on me and refuses to be touched! :rolleyes:

Cats...

chico2
October 6th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Oh,Oh 2 females:laughing:it's good Erin is eventempered,Chinook will eventually figure out Erin is no threat.
If you have the space,I would feed them in seperate spots.

krdahmer
October 6th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Congrats to you and your new kitty! I hope they learn to get along quickly. :D

ancientgirl
October 6th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Congratulations! They are both so gorgeous!

I'm sure they will get along well. At least you are able to have then out in the open while you are there and there is no rough stuff, so that's probably a good sign.

Bluedrake
October 6th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I tried leaving the bedroom door open, just to see...

No good, Chinook woke me up with her hissing when Erin walked in, so I put Erin outside and closed the door. She might cry a little, but at least Chinook will be at ease, and I'll get some sleep. :sleepy:

I am a little encouraged by the fact that Chinook has made no agressive move other than the hissing. Een when Erin jumped pratically right into her face, all she did was his and mewl a little.

At least I don't have to worry about cleaning blood out of my carpet...

Love4himies
October 9th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Just hissing, with no aggression attached is good news. They will be best buds in no time.

rainbow
October 9th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I agree...just give them a little time. ;) And, btw, they are both verry pretty. :lovestruck:

kiara
October 10th, 2007, 07:49 PM
I have always had one cat at a time. But decided that my tortoiseshell (adopted from a rescue several years ago), needed a friend. We adopted another female, also from a rescue. It did not take long for them to become the best of friends. Especially since the resident cat has a very gentle nature!They sleep together, groom each other and play fight. When I'm out they have each other's company.