Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bone powder – where can I find it in Toronto ?

Isolde
October 6th, 2007, 01:31 PM
I am trying to switch my puppy to a more natural diet however she will not eat any raw meat or bone yet :shrug: so I need to supplement her diet with some calcium.
Where can I find in Toronto some sort of good bone meal like: KAL or Solid Gold. I have been calling a lot of pet stores and even hospitals in my area but none seem to have any bone meal.

TIA :dog:

clm
October 6th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Global pet foods sells the solid gold bone meal. If you google them, you'll be able to find a location near you.

Cindy

sugarcatmom
October 6th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I'm not sure I understand why you want to feed bone meal. What is she currently eating?

Isolde
October 6th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I'm not sure I understand why you want to feed bone meal. What is she currently eating?

I tried a few more types of kibble, the last one was wellness and she didn’t eat. Last sat. she got sick from merricks canned food and then she started refusing to eat canned as well.
She will not eat raw so giving her chicken with bone is useless so until she gets the taste of raw meat I give her slightly cooked chicken breast and in other meals some brown rice, cottage cheese, veggies and some fruit. Because she doesn’t have any calcium (bone) in her diet right now I would like to give her a little bit of bone powder. She is still a very small puppy and she has a lot to grow.

sugarcatmom
October 6th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Ah-ha, gotcha. I wasn't sure if you were wanting to add bone meal to her commercial dog food, which would have made her diet unbalanced. Adding it to cooked meat is a good idea, particularly if boneless muscle meat makes up more than 20% of her diet. I've found bone meal at my local pet food store that sells the higher end food and/or frozen raw diets. You might also be able to find it at some health food stores.

You could try getting her to eat raw by just gradually cooking the meat less and less over a long period of time. Good luck!