Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog Traumatic experience

casitamex
October 6th, 2007, 11:21 AM
We have just moved to Mexico with our 2 dogs. One 9 yrs old Maltese and 2 yr old Maltese/poodle. We took them to what seemed to be reputable veterinary Clinic which also grooms dogs. We brought them in in the morning and when we returned to pick them up, the vet told us not to let them play outside until the next day.We did not question. When we got home the dog where unusually quiet but we believed them to be very tired from their visit. Later in the evening they began to lick there paws. So I checked and to my horror could not feel or see any nail. The vet had removed /cut back their nails to the point that they only had pads. It has been 3 days. My babies are not the same. They are listless and continuously liking their paws. They do not want to play, barely eat, do not respond to us calling them to go out.
I have returned to the vet(in Spanish) but he told me not worry they will grow back?
Well I am worried!! Will they grow back? Is this a practice in Mexico that we are not aware of? What about their behaviour? Will my happy go lucky, playful babies ever be the same? What am I to do? Have you ever heard of such a practice/removing/cutting back nails?
Please help!
Thank you
Sophie and Shelby Mom

ancientgirl
October 6th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I would be furious! I've never heard of such a thing, but I know nothing about veterinary practices in Mexico. I can't see how it can be considered standard practice.

I'd try to contact another vet and tell them of your experience to see if perhaps they can give you information as to what is standard when you take a pet in for grooming.

I imagine they are probably in pain, so maybe that's why they aren't themselves. They probably just don't want to move around too much.

There are a lot of dog owners here so they will probably be able to give you some idea as to what to give them or put on their paws to help alleviate them.

Please keep us informed about them!

Cinnabear
October 6th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Wouldn't that be cutting the quip. :eek: That would be extremely painful for the animals. I have never heard of cutting like that on dogs.

Poor doggies.

Isolde
October 6th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Wow, canít say that I am surprised though :mad:. I was in Europe this summer and I took my two cocker spaniels to the vet over there and I was not pleased at all with the service! :evil:

I say try to find another vet, maybe one that actually knows what heís doing or try to do this type of grooming yourself and go to the vet only when necessary and even then I would find a better one :cool:.

chico2
October 6th, 2007, 05:07 PM
OMG,these pups must be in pain,there is something the vet carries that you put on the nails if you cut the quick(right word??)maybe that is something you could look for and then another vet.
Poor babies:sad:

Janie123
October 6th, 2007, 06:19 PM
looked on the net and,as far as I can tell,they should grow back. Just give them tender loving care. Heat will make them bleed more,I think. Maybe an antibiotic ointment but they might lick that. You could get a mild pain reliever from a GOOD vet. Poor babies.:cry::sad::mad::shrug::pray: