Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

OT.....but there is a reason

Janie123
October 5th, 2007, 11:43 PM
:offtopic: I hope this is able to stay up. My son has had 4 brain surgeries. God granted him a miracle. I post this not for attention but in hopes of being of help to others that might have the same problem he has.....epilepsy due to a brain tumor. I can't remember if I posted this before. Sorry if I have repeated myself.
You can read about my wonderful son at http://www.mayoclinic.org/neurosurgery-jax/davidbonanno.html
I know it gives his last name so I pick and choose who I post this to.:thumbs up:offtopic :thumbs up :lightbulb:

Janie123
October 5th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Sorry,the post is
http://www.mayoclinic.org/neurosurgery-jax/davidbonanno.html

chico2
October 6th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Janie,one of my sons too had brainsurgery as a last resort because of uncontrollable epilepsy,no tumor though.
It was a harrowing experience,but it was successful and I am forever greatful to the doctors.

chico2
October 6th, 2007, 07:38 AM
I just read the article about your son,very similar to my son,except he had his first seizure at 1yr old and is now 41yrs old,99,9% seizurefree:thumbs up
I've never heard of the implant before,it's wonderful it's doing wonders for your son.

Janie123
October 6th, 2007, 05:12 PM
My son could not have surgery because the seizure activity was in his speech area. We just prayed and then the implant came up. Epilepsy is so hard to deal with. But David is such an animal lover. I think his cat,Irving,got him through a lot of this. He was always with Irving. Irving slept with him every night. I got Irving as a kitten before David was born and it was touching to see how close they became as David grew up. He died when David was 16 and it broke my heart to watch David. His wife is allergic to cats so they can't get one but they do hope to get a chihuahua.
My Mitzi was like my therapy dog and I sure miss her.

Stacer
October 6th, 2007, 09:28 PM
My mom and my best friend's 6 year old daughter have epilepsy, luckily for both of them the seizures are controlled by medications. Congratulations to your son for getting his life back, it sounds like it was a long haul.

chico2
October 7th, 2007, 07:25 AM
We lived through many hellish years,with school and later work with our son.
Regular phonecalls from both places,jumping every time I heard an ambulance if he was out or at work.
He,unlike many epileptics,would not fall asleep after a seizure,he would turn violent,not knowing what he was doing,often a danger to himself.
He ended up handcuffed and jailed a few times...the police thinking he was drunk or on drugs,the only person who could calm him down was me,but not until I had lots of bruises....the stories I could tell,about this terrible condition:sad:
Luckily he is now ok(knock on wood)living in Alberta with the love of his life:pray:

Janie123
October 7th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I'm so sorry,chico. David would zone out,his eyes would look strange and he could barely talk. He would look at me like he was trying to understand what I was trying to say. He would come out of it and be so tired for hours. The whole thing was a nightmare. My husband went into denial and insisted he be treated like a normal person. If I wasn't around,he'd let him drive,no license,no insurance. I came home one day and he comes around the corner in my husbands car. He almost hit 2 people. I jumped out and pulled him out of the car in anger. I parked it,took him home and let me tell you,the fur flew between me and my husband. It has horribly damaged my marriage but we are working on it.
He was a teenage boy who could not drive. He argued with me SO much,I developed an ulcer.
I pleaded with the drs that we had to do something. He was among the 15-20% that didn't respond to medications.
When this surgery came up,he jumped at. He was an adult by then. We prayed and so far it's been working for 3 years. He just had his fourth brain surgery to replace the batteries in the implant.
We are so bruised and beaten emotionally but are beginning to come back. He can drive which scares me. But,as long as he is driving legally,I have to set my fears aside.:pray::pray::shrug:

chico2
October 7th, 2007, 03:38 PM
My son still does not have a drivers-license and it does not bother him,him and his g/f live in smalltown Alberta where 10 steps means you are half-way across town:laughing:
His g/f drives though.
He is one of those wonderful people,who no matter what his set-backs were,was always optimistic,always compassionate and kind,never asked for much.
I am very proud of him and happy,he has finally found happiness.

Janie123
October 7th, 2007, 05:15 PM
If my husband had supported me,David would have been fine. But he always let David do everything behind my back then wouldn't deal with it when it caused problems. Finally,a compassionate doctor took his license away. They were spittin mad but the dr let them have it. Thank God!
He's such a good person but was so spoiled by my husband. He always had to learn the hard way. He didn't think HE had to go by the rules. Daddy told him so.
It was hell. He is doing better but my husband and I are in counseling because I just got so fed up with him. He doesn't understand my anger and thinks I should let go of it. 38 years of marriage may be down the drain. I hope not. He loves me and is good to me but has always overruled me when it comes to our son. Dealing with this serious illness just made things so much tougher.:shrug::pray::mad::frustrated::yuck::wall: :wall:

chico2
October 8th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Janie,I am sorry to hear that..
My husband was the other way around,I was the one taking care of every thing with my sons(3),my youngest has had 2 open-heart surgeries,but there is no cure for him:sad:
Yeah I know,but 1 of my sons is healthy,1 out of 3 not too bad...:shrug:
Now,we are retired empty-nesters and I am not someone who worries too much about what will happen in the future,whatever comes along,we will deal with it.
I hope you and your husband can work through this,your son is fine now,has his own life,now you can concentrate on each other.
Whatever happened in the past is in the past,if you still love each other,you will have a wonderful rest of your life..:pray:

Janie123
October 10th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Well,our son is married and on his own and we spend more time together now. It's hard work,trying to mend these fences. He has complaints too but my major complaint was treating our son like he had no problems and letting him drive. I had a breakdown with worry when he almost hit those two people,let me tell you. I was in the hospital for a week. It didn't have to be that way if my husband just hadn't been so far in denial.
We are working hard. A long marriage like this deserves a chance.

chico2
October 11th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Janie,we've been married 43 yrs and have had many ups and downs,like most couples.
When our epileptic son was born,we were 22/23 yrs old.
My husband,young,handsome,ambitious could not understand how we,an almost"perfect"couple,could have an imperfect son,it sounds very selfish but we were young.
He too was in denial,our son was such a beautiful little boy,how could he be sick??
But we learned,life has it's challenges and each one will makes us stronger(that's what I've been told:cat:)
4 yrs later,when our little blond angel was born with a severe congenital heartproblem,we were more prepared,took nothing for granted and we still don't.