Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Australian Cattle Dog Ill again

marsboss
October 5th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Hi:

I have an Australian Cattle Dog(rescue dog not sure if purebred), he is just over a year old. I have had him to the vets 5 times since March.

Chevy is listless does not want to eat and tends to stand and tremble. Chevy will only drink if I hold the bowl up for him. It is almost like he does not want to bend over. If he was human I would have him checked for spinal Meninghitis. I know he is getting sick again because he goes right off his food and the day before this his stool is a greenish color.

The vet has done blood tests and everything is coming back negative. The vet puts him on antibiotics and he perks back up again within 3 days. Approximately 6 weeks later back to the vets we go. At 250.00 to 300.00 a shot I cannot keep this up.

Chevy is walked for a mile to a mile and a half twice a day, we play tug a rope and fetch with him when he is healthy. I have not taken him to the dog park for over 2 months because I thought he might be picking up something there.

Does anyone have any suggestions. This dog is so pathetic when he is sick. I am seriously going to have to think about putting him down if this keeps up. :yell:

I have never had this kind of a problem with a dog before and I am at my wits end. When he is not sick he seems to be a very healthy energetic dog. I have taken him off Pedigree which I was feeding him and am now feeding him Science Diet but the food change has made no difference.

Chevy has been checked for Lyme disease and everything else the vet or I can think of.

Does anyone have an ACD and is this maybe a breed thing?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

satchelp
October 6th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Has the vet ruled out pancreatic problems? If he doesn't want to bend over and his stool is an odd colour, it sounds like something in his digestive system.

Both Pedigree and Science Diet are crappy foods. Find a smaller pet store, such as Global / Ryans and pick up some holistic kibble. They should be able to advise you at the store.

mummummum
October 10th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Has your Vet had a good look down his throat and felt his neck ? I'm wondering if it might be a streptoccol infection (or another bacterium) in his tonsils or lymph nodes. It would explain his unwillingness to bend his neck and reluctance to eat or drink and his lethargy. The greenish stool could be an outcome of the infection working it's way through his body. A one shot dose of antibiotic would likely not be a long enough course of medication to get rid of the infection.

growler~GateKeeper
October 10th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Has the vet done xrays on his neck? Perhaps there is a problem there either in the bones of the spine or the spinal cord itself or the discs in between the vertebrae of the spine from playing tug.

clm
October 11th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Raising his food and water dishes up off the ground is a good idea even if he's feeling well. Dogs should not be bending over to ground level to eat or drink so get a stand to lift them up off the ground.

Cindy

rainbow
October 11th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Have you had any xrays or ultrasound done? There is definitely something wrong when a dog is lethargic and trembles. :sad:

Also, as satchelp mentioned, Pedigree and Science Diet are not the best foods. We have a Food Forum here to check out for lots of great information. Also, check out www.dogfoodproject.com and click on "Ingredients to Avoid" on the left hand side of the page. The rest of the links there are very informative as well. Another good site is www.dogaware.com :pawprint: