Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

actrium holistic adult dog food

kriista72
October 5th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I just bought this dog food is it healthy,just a little?

mika140
October 5th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I haven't heard of it.....can you post the ingredients?

kriista72
October 5th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Here it is
Protein is 24% Fat 14%Omega 6 2.8% Omega 3 is 1.4%
Ingredients -Chicken Meal,Brown Rice,Oatmeal,Potatoes,Rye,Chicekn Fat ( Mixed with Tocopherols for Vit E) Chicken, Chicken Cartiledge (glucomsimne), Tomates,Slamon Meal,Salmon Oil, Dried Eggs, Flaxseed Oil, Kelp, Calcuim, Potassuim Cholride, Diacalcuim Phospate, Chicory Extract, Cranberries,Spinach,Broccoli,Sweet Potatoes,apples,Blueberries,Pears, Bananas, Vitamin A, E, C,Beta Carotene,Folic Acid,Vitamin B12,Probotitics,Yucca,Dried Rosemarry,Cinnamon,Chamomile,Dandelion,Paprika,Gar lic

mika140
October 6th, 2007, 06:22 AM
I'm no expert, but from the ingredients listed it looks great to me.....I don't see any ingredients that I've been warned to watch out for. I'm sure others will chip in too :thumbs up

kriista72
October 6th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Thats great thank you :fingerscr

Stacer
October 6th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I'm not sure, but I think that the tomato in it might act as a stool hardener, which means that the poop will hang around in the intestines longer and allow toxins to absorb. I guess it all depends how far you want to take the "bad ingredient" thing.

rainbow
October 9th, 2007, 02:22 AM
It would be much better if there was another meat meal as there are too many carbohydrates in the first five ingredients. Also, I found this about chicken cartilage as a glucosamine source:

Type II collagen was derived from purified chicken cartilage.

Question:
Whatever happened to the study of this treatment for arthritis? Approx. three years ago it was showing great promise. People in trials were having great results with it. It was talked about on NBC Nightly News and other programs. I remember seeing interviews with people who had RA and they were having remarkable results with it. This Type II collagen was derived from purified chicken cartilage. Has anyone heard anything? Maybe the pharmaceutical companies were unable to patent it?

Answer:
Good question, it raised my curiosity since I had once been following this story pretty closely. It is being developed by a company called
AutoImmune, Inc (ticker: AIMM). They once had some troubles in phase-II trials. I did some checking on the internet and found there is some recent news on them that they claim to have found the proper dosing and are about to begin phase-III trials in several cities across the country. For news and info (and to volunteer!), see their website:

http://www.autoimmuneinc.com

When I did a web search I also ran across pages of companies offering recipes for the stuff as well as wanting to sell you it as a supplement.
We're never immune from hucksterism!