Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stuffies

want4rain
October 5th, 2007, 04:44 PM
am i paranoid? ive never given Mister stuffies. im afraid he would EAT parts and we would have to have the vet go retrieve it. am i crazy?

am i denying my dog one of the joys of domestication?

-ashley

breeze
October 5th, 2007, 04:49 PM
I will NOT give Bree any kind of stuffies in her live time, I have found out first hand what she does with them !!!
nope. nada, never, nothing!!!! call me mean but if you saw what she did you would never give her one... If she want to cuddle she will just have to learn to sit quite..........

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2007, 07:32 PM
No stuffies here, either. We've tried them in the past, but I refuse to pay $12 for a 14-minute toy. :D The dogs are just too murderous! :laughing: And we're worried that they'll eat the innards, too, W4R. So we just don't risk it.

Frenchy
October 5th, 2007, 07:38 PM
We've tried them in the past, but I refuse to pay $12 for a 14-minute toy. :D

Same here. My dogs are serial killers :evil: Breeze gave me one (for me , not for the dogs :D) a cute little bunny , believe me , it's out of their reach !!!

want4rain
October 5th, 2007, 08:10 PM
well i bent, he is now the proud dad of an ostrich. its been 15 minutes and its still alive. hes pawed it, flung it, shook it but not ripped it. i think it will just be an occasional toy. he can have it when im home to watch it.

-ashley

Frenchy
October 5th, 2007, 08:12 PM
its been 15 minutes and its still alive.

He still hasn't figured out he can rip it open and find lots of fluffy treasures inside :laughing: it's only been 15 minutes ...... :D :fingerscr

joeysmama
October 5th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Cooper will murder his stuffies so I always supervise him when he plays. But he has a toy box full of toys. The ones he absolutely can not have are the plastic ones. He eats the ends off of them !! My mother has brought him a couple plastic squeeky toys and he gets all happy and runs off with the toy and we hear the squeek and then all of a sudden no more squeek because it has a huge hole in it. It can't be healthy to eat chunks of plastic so now it's only stuffies and water bottles for the Coop.

want4rain
October 5th, 2007, 10:56 PM
HAHA!! hopefully ill take it away before then LOL!!! im hoping the first rip... we have this big GASP!! we do when he does soemthing bad. stops him dead in his tracks (for some reason right?? heh)

-ashley

BusterBoo
October 6th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Harley had the same stuffies for his whole (short) life, but Buster...:rolleyes:

We refer to Buster's destruction as "stufficide". He finds one little piece or thread and sticks to it until he has an opening big enough to get the stuffing out. His fastest time is under 5 minutes and that was on a $20 stuffed duck. He has also destroyed a #9 durability ring which was guaranteed for big dogs. He chewed at the binding around the edge until he got to the rubber part inside.

So now.....we stick to kongs and nylabones.

btw....Buster only weighs 16 lbs :laughing:

Cinnabear
October 6th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Stuffies are for presents at Christmas only. :D

Isolde
October 6th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Ivy has a tone of stuffies that she makes a point of killing every now and then …lol :laughing:.
I have been watching her very carefully to make sure that she doesn’t ingest any parts and so far I noticed that she just can’t do any damage to the toys. They look like brand new :D

chico2
October 6th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I don't have a dog,but I've often wandrered about stuffies for dogs,I see the prices at my store,WOW,and I would be very concerned my dog would eat the stuffing inside..

want4rain
October 6th, 2007, 07:26 PM
*blinks* pet store stuffies? no way. not in this house. i have 2 children. they can sacrifice a stuffed animal. which they did. an ostrich to the alter!!

he pulled some fur off of it but no rips in it. ill just stick to letting him get it as a treat.

i MAY start making some. reinforce the seam... make little blue jean stuffies out of Cailyns old pants? she has soem cords that woudl make a neat little stuffy. heck, stuff the pants, sew the waist and ankles. :laughing:

its been a stressful day. :rolleyes:

-ashley

wildhair
October 6th, 2007, 07:53 PM
My dogs LOVE stuffies!:lovestruck:
plastics? no. Rubber? no.
Stuffies, any size shape or style? absolutely!
If you have a stuffie of any kind..... it is theirs! :dog:
I buy them at the dollar stores, or thrift stores.
I dont buy the expensive ones at the pet stores, they just "murder" them to get the squeeky out.
I buy the cheapies, take out the plastic eyes and noses (or anything else) and sew them up. My poochers love them!:pawprint:
one thing i have learned though.... make sure they are not filled with the plastic beans. one tiny hole and it is OVER!:shrug:

TMac
October 6th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Toby is a stuffie killer so we don't buy them for him (waste of money!). Occasionally a relative or friend will give him one and it normally lives only a few minutes - 15 minutes at best. I would not let him play with it unless we're in the room watching. It goes away on top of the fridge when we can't supervise. That being said - he recently got hold of a stuffed bear that fell off a shelf in my husband's office. So far it hasn't died the usual stuffie death! Here's a couple of pics:

TMac
October 6th, 2007, 10:33 PM
oops - re trying to post the other two pics..

hazelrunpack
October 6th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Awwww...he loves his teddy! :lovestruck:

shredy
October 6th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Hey, I was lucky, Shade did not kill her toys, she carried them around and brought them to bed with her at night... So cute... But, I refused to pay pet store prices so i bought them from thrift stores (make sure the filling is not the little styroform balls) and washed them in hot water and bleach when I got home. Those were all her toys and we still have the ones I got her when she was 8 weeks old. I have saved her favorites and given away some of the others.

TMac
October 7th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Awwww...he loves his teddy! :lovestruck:

heh heh...you can see why I couldn't resist taking a picture! :cloud9:

When he's at doggie daycare its a whole other story....there are stuffies galore in this huge toybox and by the end of the day there is evidence of stuffie massacre everywhere!!! I can easily find out if Toby was one of the guilty parties when he next does his business! :laughing:

Frenchy
October 7th, 2007, 06:01 PM
:laughing: Tmac , he looks like he won't do anything in front of the camera "I won't give her the satisfaction :evil:" :laughing:

want4rain
October 7th, 2007, 06:13 PM
TMac, i havent seen such cute pics in forever!!! what a pretty.... TEDDY! LOL and pooch of course. :lovestruck: i almost wish we had gotten a golden but the fur... wowzers!

-ashley

TMac
October 7th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Heh heh, Frenchy you are so right! Its like he is just waiting to pounce when I'm not looking! :laughing:

Want4rain, luckily all the golden fur doesn't show up on the upstairs floor since the floor matches his colour. But as you can see, the blue rug in the family room downstairs (and the light colour floor) is a baaaad idea with a dark golden coloured dog!!! Yipes the fur on that rug!! :eek:

Ford Girl
October 9th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I am one of only a few people on here who's doggy loves and looks after her stuffies. If you want to test your dog out, try buying a plain jane made for dogs stuffies, see what he will do, then if he;s nice, get them at dollar stores or yard sales...that's what I do, we walk down the ally in the summer and stop and buy Dazy stuffies...she loves them.

bendyfoot
October 9th, 2007, 12:42 PM
We love giving the girls stuffies, but if we want them to last more than about three minutes before they get rightiously gutted...we have to pick only certain SHAPES of stuffies.

The only suffies that will not be killed are:

- stuffies shaped like sports balls (yes, they must have either a soccer or basketball or baseball print on them, or they get killed)

- stuffies shaped like bones with animal prints (yes, they must be adorned with zebra or leopard spots, or they get killed)

- stuffies shaped like hedgehogs. These are the only animal shaped stuffies that will not be killed. Anything shaped like a bird, racoon, frog, duck, fox, cat, dog etc. etc. will be killed.

Sometimes they get a "to be killed" stuffy, just for some quick, supervised fun of being naughty!!!

rainbow
October 9th, 2007, 02:11 PM
My dogs only get to play with stuffies under supervision and even then they still manage to make little holes in them. :frustrated: I guess Mom doesn't watch as close as she should. :rolleyes: And, I now only buy them at the thrift stores and only get ones that don't have plastic eyes. :o