Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need advice :(

waste of paint
October 5th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I'm not entirely sure I'm in the right section for this, but here goes. My friends and I found a box of kittens while walking home from school the other night. We took them back to our place, and we've each been caring for one. The other two girls have decided to keep their kittens, as one already has cats and the other wanted one anyway. I would do the same with Tommy (I know, I know, I'm already attached), but when I told my parents they said they would completely cut me off I kept him. I already have a cat (a rescue) and I am fully aware that it would be more work to have two, and that I need to integrate them slowly (they're completely separated for now until I can get the kitten to a vet), but my parents absolutely won't budge on the issue.

So, after a few hours of crying I called the Bond Foundation and I am trying to set up an appointment to have a check-up and get him neutered, then I'm going to try to adopt him out. I want him to go to a good home and I'm pretty sure that this is the right way to go about it, but I'm just worried that I'm going to spend money that I don't really have on getting him fixed and then not be able to find a home for him. I would absolutely keep him if I could. But, I can't afford school on my own, and I don't qualify for loans so I can't throw away my education to keep him. Do you guys have any advice for me, or tips on finding a good home quickly? :sad:

chico2
October 5th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I am so sorry your parents will not reconsider,2 cats are always better than one..
Having him neutered is never a waste of money,you can recoop the money in adoptionfees,at least you know he will not make any more unwanted kittens.
If you are living at home,I can understand you having to listen to your parents,but if not what difference does it make to them??Two or one cats??
Cats should always come in pairs,it will make for much happier cats:cat:
As for finding him a home,I have no idea how to go about that,there are thousands of cats in different shelters.
Whatever you do,please don't put a"free to good home"in the paper,you have to charge an adoptionfee.
Also,thank you and your friend for rescuing these little babies who would surely have died without you.

waste of paint
October 5th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I am definitely charging an adoption fee, I'm just worried that if he doesn't get adopted I'll be out at least $100 (it may not sound like much but I'm a student and I don't even have that much in my bank account! This is going to have to go on my credit card) AND my parents will get impatient and cut me off financially. I was told I had to get rid of him immediately, but I'm bargaining with them for more time. We're not exactly on the best of terms right now because I'm hurt that they're treating me like I've done something horrible by not leaving a bunch of kittens out in the alley!

I do live on my own, but I'm entirely financially dependent so I pretty much have to listen to them. Their main argument is that if the cat gets sick they're going to end up paying for its vet bills. My first cat (:rip:) had FeLV so I can understand why they'd be worried about that, but I think they're entirely overreacting. :( I want to keep him so badly!

poodletalk
October 5th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Hi Waste of Paint,

What a sad story, The Bond Foundation is a great organization to help you get a reduced price in sterilization.

Try some cat rescue groups, maybe they can put a picture of your kitten on their site as a courtsey listings?

I am sorry, I can't help you..I have my hands full placing alot of cats right now.

chico2
October 6th, 2007, 06:43 AM
W_O_P,I can understand your parents concern,cats are a responsability and there is more to it than just neuter/spay,they can get sick,they need their shots and good quality food all which cost money.
Since your parents support you financially 100% they have a right to question how you spend your money.
How about a part-time job,just to show you will be responsible for this little life,maybe your parents will relent.:confused:
I love cats/kittens and have 3 and could not imagine giving any up,but they are an expence for sure,even if they are healthy.
If you have a regular vet for your other cat,maybe he/she would agree to keep him at the clinic,like my vet and try to adopt him out.
Good luck to the little guy:pray:

Luba
October 6th, 2007, 03:13 PM
There are some good adoption questionnaires on line that you can go through. and download, many free for the taking. That will give you an idea of some of the things you want to ask.

You can contact some of the vets including your own and find out if anyone is looking for a cat or has recently lost to the rainbow bridge. That way you can get a vet reference at the same time.

In lieu of an adoption fee, you may want to consider when it's narrowed down to the one who will be adopting, that they pay in advance to their vet for the spay/neuter. The benefit is that it's already paid for so they'll take the cat and they don't have to pay you and then pay for spay/neuter. See what I mean, plus plus!! :thumbs up Best of luck to you!:cat:

waste of paint
October 6th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks so much for all of the advice!

I talked to a wonderful lady from the Bond Foundation last night, and got a lot of tips from her (and a lot of life advice! what a sweetie). If I can keep him she'll send me a voucher for the the lower cost spay/neuter when he's old enough, so that helps a lot.

I talked to my vet and she said she can put up a poster for me. My parents were bringing one of their dogs in this morning, so she said she'd put in a good word for me because she went through the whole ordeal of my first cat having FeLV with me and knows that I took out loans to pay her bills, and that I take good care of my pets in general. It must have helped because I was able to soften my parents up a little bit. I have one month to look for a home for him, while paying for both of their expenses out of the money they give me for extra stuff (which is more than fair, and it's easy for me to go without a few things to take care of my babies).

I would get a part-time job, but as a student with a learning disability taking 6 courses per semester, it's a little tough to find time for that. Luckily my parents have been incredibly understanding so far, and I'm pretty good at budgeting. :)

I'm really really hoping this works out, because I don't want to give him away to anyone unless I know them really well. Maybe I'm being over-protective, but I really care about this little guy. I'm babysitting his sister tonight while her mom is out on a date and they're both asleep in my lap right now. Awww!

(Also: does anyone know where I can buy Eaglepack Holistic Select in downtown Montreal? I buy it on the south shore right now but I'm not always there when I need more.)

Frenchy
October 6th, 2007, 09:19 PM
First of all , thank you so much for helping this poor little cat. Once he's neutered , you could e-mail me his picture and I could put him up for adoption here for you (I'm with a golden retriever rescue)

For Eagle pack , you could go on their website and search with their store locator.

Keep us posted and good luck !

waste of paint
October 6th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Thank you, Frenchy. Apparently Vanier doesn't neuter them until about 5 1/2 months so I'm going to have to wait a while before I do that.

And D'OH, I forgot to mention the most important part: after the one month period that my parents have given me to take care of him, we're going to re-discuss whether or not I can keep him. I can feel them breaking!

Oh and here's a picture of the little guy:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r26/wonderful999/tommy2.jpg

Frenchy
October 6th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Oh and here's a picture of the little guy:

OMG ! :cloud9: :lovestruck:

badger
October 7th, 2007, 02:16 AM
There's a place on Hochelaga (east of d'Iberville) called Jaz-zoo where you can get Eagle Pack AND they deliver!

chico2
October 7th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Oh,Awww:lovestruck:
You really sound like a responsible young lady,both with your kitties and your budget:thumbs upI am sure your parents are proud of you,but worried you are taking on too much.
So,you have a month,a month of loving this little adorable baby,a month to prove to your parents you'll do everything you can do,to keep him.
Hopefully it will work out:cat:
We love some more pics,of your other kitty too,ok:thumbs up

Love4himies
October 9th, 2007, 06:54 AM
What a little cutie he is! Maybe your parents need some cuddle time with him and they will warm up some more. A compromise would be a small part time job to pay for his food/vet bills so their money would not be supporting him.

cpietra16
October 9th, 2007, 07:50 AM
OMG...:cloud9::lovestruck: what big paws you've got:D....and shiny

rainbow
October 9th, 2007, 01:38 PM
He is adorable. :cloud9: I hope your parents reconsider. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Jim Hall
October 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Oh,Awww:lovestruck:
You really sound like a responsible young lady,both with your kitties and your budget:thumbs upI am sure your parents are proud of you,but worried you are taking on too much.
So,you have a month,a month of loving this little adorable baby,a month to prove to your parents you'll do everything you can do,to keep him.
Hopefully it will work out:cat:
We love some more pics,of your other kitty too,ok:thumbs up

well said i can't really aqdd much except that your sound like a very nice very together woman MS Paint

waste of paint
October 9th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks so much for all the support, guys! :grouphug: I'll keep everyone updated on how things go.

Everyone has been checked and dewormed so they're finally hanging out together. Here are a bunch of pics!

Tommy and his sister, Carmen (we can finally tell them apart without checking crotches now :laughing: ):

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r26/wonderful999/tommycarmen2.jpg

Naptime:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r26/wonderful999/tommycarmen.jpg

Tommy and Lennon seem to be getting along:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r26/wonderful999/tomlen.jpg

Getting closer...

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r26/wonderful999/tomlen2.jpg

And a silly one of Lennon from a while back (don't worry, he is still getting spoiled despite the kittens!):

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r26/wonderful999/lennon.jpg

Oh and I found a place near school that sells Eagle Pack so I'm going to stop in on my way to class tomorrow. I bought a small bag of President's Choice to tide us over and Lennon refuses to eat it so he got leftover turkey tonight. Spoiled, I tell you!

rainbow
October 9th, 2007, 10:41 PM
So what's the secret.....does Tommy have the white around his mouth? They are both so cute. :lovestruck:

waste of paint
October 9th, 2007, 10:57 PM
They're actually identical in the face, but Tommy's stripes are slightly more defined, Carmen has a very subtle lighter patch on each ear and she meows as soon as you pick her up. If it's dark in the room we just grab one and see if it protests. ;)

chico2
October 10th, 2007, 06:38 AM
They are absolutely adorable,it looks like they are going to be longhaired too,so cute and Lennon is a good big brother,very pretty:thumbs up
I hope everyting works out and you don't have to give up on the kitten.
Maybe your parents are also concerned about what happens later on,cats have been know to live 20+yrs,it is a longterm comittment,as I am sure you know..

Love4himies
October 10th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Ohhh I am in kitty heaven, they are beautiful.:cloud9: