Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New puppy issues

breavery
October 5th, 2007, 04:12 PM
After some long careful consideration, we brought a new puppy into our home... a 3 month old Shih Tzu... we spent alot of time with her before we brought her home to make sure she had a kid-loving personality.. which was fantastic! She is very attached to one of my children, follows her everywhere.. even to the bathroom, but she doesn't seem as friendly with my other child (I have 2 girls).. perhaps because she is more reserved and quiet.. which is why I thought puppy would prefer her over my older child, who can be quite loud.. anyway, my youngest (5) child accidentally stepped on her tail today, puppy yelped, then turned around and bit her on the knee!! This shocked me as, even though I hate to admit it, everyone in our family has stepped on her tail at one time or another and she's never reacted this way!! How can I teach puppy that my youngest is also part of this family... puppy doesn't even play with her... my youngest throws the ball and puppy sits there looking at her!!! What is the best way to handle this... should I stop my other daughter from playing with puppy for a day, only have my quiet child play with her?? Please help.. this is the only time puppy has ever shown any sign of aggression! Puppy actually rolls over on her back when she meets anyone for the first time and that is how she greets everyone but my youngest child??? :confused:

BusterBoo
October 5th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Sorry, can't help you since I have never had a doggie and kids at the same time. I think it is quite normal that the puppy has attached itself to one human for the time being, but hopefully will learn that all the humans in the house are to be treated the same. I think your puppy's bite reaction is normal....she was hurt and she was trying to defend herself. You will have to make sure that if she bites, she gets a stern NO BITE command (or whatever words you want to use), give her a toy to bite instead. Your furbaby is still soooo young, hopefully she will come around and be friends with everyone, but it could take time.

Tzus are stubborn little creatures (loveable...but stubborn!)

Any pictures???? :)

Frenchy
October 6th, 2007, 03:49 PM
The only advice I can offer is this one : you should let your daughter , when it's time to treat the dog , do it herself. And maybe let her feed the dog at meal times.