Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my dog doesn’t seem to like the whole RAW thing!

Isolde
October 5th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Ivy is 3 months now. The breeder had her on Purina but she wasn’t eating it to well either so I tried wellness and she hated it.
Last Saturday she got really sick from Merrick canned food (she vomited for half a day then could not even keep down water until at 11-12 at night when she finally stopped and started drinking), and now she is basically refusing to eat canned or dry food! Considering that she is a small chihuahua I can not let her go hungry, these guys can get really sick if they don’t eat (low blood sugar etc.)

I believe that the raw diet is the way to go and I tried some of the recipes from Dr. Pitcairn’s book but she doesn’t like it :shrug:!
I did oatmeal with turkey, carrot, zucchini and a little bit of the kelp, nutritional yeast and bone meal powder. She doesn’t seem to like the oatmeal and she doesn’t seem to like the meat either :yuck:.
Is it possible that she will never get the taste for it or maybe she just doesn’t like turkey? or the oatmeal …

Please help me with some ideas; I can not let her go hungry as she may get very sick.

TIA :pawprint:

want4rain
October 5th, 2007, 01:02 PM
*chuckles* you arent suppose to feed raw meat and other things at the same time.

just raw meat. it takes less time to move through a dogs system than veggies or grains.

start out with some chicken breast. chop it into 6 or 7 lengths with bone in each, so start at the bone and make sure each piece has bone in it at one end.

see how much she eats, pick up the rest. if she doesnt want it you can lightly cook one side and see if the smell doesnt entice her to eat it.

tomorrow, chop some chicken hearts in half and feed her that.

next day, give her a part of the breast again. make sure she is getting abotu 10% bone. if her poo gets too hard and chalky, cut back on the bone.

the following day, offer chicken liver. let her eat what she will.

you want 70/80% meat, 10/15% bone, 10/15% organ. no veggies, grains... if you want to feed veggies and grains, maybe try to cook your meats and feed them separately. no raw meats go with veggies and grains. it will slow down digestion and make her sick because the meat and bacteria will sit longer in her stomach than it should.

got some pics? how much does she weigh??

-ashley

Isolde
October 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I have been reading on raw a lot and I know that some say to only feed meat but this is not really what I want to do, I would like to have a little bit of grain and veggies in her diet – these were cooked (I don’t want to open a can-o-worms…)

She is so small and her teeth are quite tiny as well and I know that she can’t chew a lot on bones :sad:

She was 830 grams a few days ago and here are some pics:

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gheletca_v/album?.dir=9220re2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

:pawprint:

want4rain
October 5th, 2007, 01:23 PM
*gushing* she is so tiny!!!

her itty bitty tiny teeth are why i suggested breast bones, talk to your local butcher and see if he cant get you one birds breast bones without the meat. that will probably keep her for 2 or 3 weeks if you just pull off the tiny bit you need. the breast bones are very very soft and easy to chew raw. i feed my cats raw bones, i always wondered if they would be able to chew it and they surprised me. i know your little princess is smaller but giving it a shot wont hurt anything. :)

no can of worms here!! i still feed my brats veggies and grains, its just not a main part of their diet. they do clean up duty for my 18mo old son. ;)

some suggestions would be well cooked peas, cheerios as snacks, try mandarin orange wedges? you can keep frozen peas on hand for fun treats. even if she doesnt eat them at first, she will get curious evenrually. also the frozen carrots?? those are perfect for a dog that size and already quite soft.

but please dont mix it WITH the raw meat. feed one for breakfast, another for lunch... dont those little dogs eat several times a day? maybe having 2 bowls in the fridge? one of meat chunks, one of veggie/fruit chunks and then a bowl of cheerios on the counter?? give 4 hours after grains/veggies and 2 hours after meats before feeding the other kind. maybe do a day of meats and a day of veggies??

keep the meat, organ and bone ratio the same and then ADD the veggies and grains to that. would you feel comfortable with that??

-ashley

Isolde
October 5th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I have some chicken drumsticks and I took a piece of the meat and give it to her, she’s just not that big on raw meat :wall:!

She eat one piece but not with a lot of enthusiasm :sad:

want4rain
October 5th, 2007, 04:58 PM
thats ok!! this is all about baby steps!! get some breast and cut it into 1/2 squares, heat a skillet up and drop a piece in there. you want to cook one side of it a little to let out the smell some. dont cook the whole thing, just a bit of it

OR

you could try raw beef. she went bonkers over a hamburger... maybe the beef is what she would really like??

-ash

Isolde
October 6th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Yesterday evening I went to the store and got some nice, fresh chicken breast :thumbs up

I’ve been frying it a little bit but again she doesn’t go for it :wall:! Eats a few little pieces then she’s done. She loved the brown rice, cottage cheese and veggies that I give her separately in a later meal. Maybe she’s a vegetarian …lol :laughing: .
I will try some chicken hearts and maybe beef next week to see maybe she will like that meat better but so far she’s not impressed … :shrug:

Weird dog :o

luvntzus
October 7th, 2007, 02:59 AM
With raw I'd suggest using a premade like Nature's Variety. It has the veggies and stuff, plus it's already balanced for you. I think it's REALLY easy to accidentally feed an unbalanced diet with raw- and with important things too like the calcium/phosphorus ratio. Unless you're following a recipe exactly without adding other things here and there, I don't think it's a good idea. But if she doesn't like the raw.... I don't know.

Was the Merrick a bad can or do you think she just didn't digest it well? The reason I ask is that I just started feeding my guys canned Merrick.

Maybe the best thing with such a little one would be to feed mostly canned mixed with some kibble. I'd suggest Wellness, Innova or Canidae. I think Wellness canned is MUCH more palatable than the kibble.

Another thing to keep in mind is kibble size. I can't imagine a little Chihuahua puppy trying to eat an average sized kibble, even if it were soaked in water. All Timberwolf Organics kibbles are small and their Wild and Natural is tiny. Fromm Chicken A La Veg is a very small square kibble (it's what I'm feeding my guys).

want4rain
October 7th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Isolde, is she at least eating 1% of her body weight? she may not be a big eater. she may not like eating even only two meals a day. perhaps she needs to snack several times a day. try cutting up the breast into 1/2 inch squares and feeding a piece or two through out the day.

it also may be very rich for her. make sure she is getting a tiny bit of bone also, pull a breast bone out and let her gnaw on it for a bit. she really doesnt need much food beign so small.

Mister is 85-90lbs. i was really surprised at how little he eats compared to kibble. right now he should eat 4-6 cups of kibble. he only eats half of that in meat. maybe even a little less.

have you tried uncooked egg? next time you fix eggs, pull the shell off and bake it for a few minutes on 350f. just until it drys. then powder it up really well, blend it in with another egg and try feeding her a touch of that. quite nutritional.

have you tried liver cooked lightly?

if you are feeding her other foods like cottage cheese, rice and veggies... look into a home made diet. you can feed COOKED meats together with other things. its sort of suggested to feed dairy separate from meat and veggies and grains together. but its not required by any means. i didnt go with it because my pooch ate raw and i didnt want to bother with it.

a true raw meat diet is suppose to have meat only. feeding raw meat, bones and offal provides everything your pooch needs. when you cook foods, it cooks out some of the good stuff so you have to replace it with grains, veggies and dairy.

feeding a home made cooked meat diet is perfectly fine. its complicated and to soem people might be a pain in the butt but with your tiny dog, you could probably feed her off your plate and still give her a perfectly good diet. just make sure she doesnt eat a lot of salt or ANY sugar. dogs dont need a bit of sugar.

a rough ratio should be soemthign like this-

10% calcium containing veggie (spinach, kale, broccoli)
5% veggie other (carrot, sprouts, peas, squash)
10% dairy with yogurt being a good idea at least 2x weekly.
10% grain (rice, oatmeal, bread, cheerios)
65% meat with a touch of fat on it.

make sure that you get her enough calcium. variety is key and making sure its balanced over a weeks time, not a meal time. if you feed more meat one day, feed more other stuff the next. since you will be feeding many meals instead of one or two, fix food separately for teh DAY and then feed her little meals from that.

pick up a good book or really hit the net about how much calcium, what sort fo stuff each food contains and be aware of what you are feeding. kale had a good bit of calcium. eggs are a very balanced meal if fed WHOLE and raw so blend it up good for her. some things you can supplement like brewers yeast, coconut oil...

research research and more research!!

-ashley

Isolde
October 10th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Thank you for the great advice! :thumbs up

Just wondering, any opinions on k9kitchen by monica segal?

:pawprint:

Isolde
October 10th, 2007, 12:00 PM
With raw I'd suggest using a premade like Nature's Variety. It has the veggies and stuff, plus it's already balanced for you. I think it's REALLY easy to accidentally feed an unbalanced diet with raw- and with important things too like the calcium/phosphorus ratio. Unless you're following a recipe exactly without adding other things here and there, I don't think it's a good idea. But if she doesn't like the raw.... I don't know.

Was the Merrick a bad can or do you think she just didn't digest it well? The reason I ask is that I just started feeding my guys canned Merrick.

Maybe the best thing with such a little one would be to feed mostly canned mixed with some kibble. I'd suggest Wellness, Innova or Canidae. I think Wellness canned is MUCH more palatable than the kibble.

Another thing to keep in mind is kibble size. I can't imagine a little Chihuahua puppy trying to eat an average sized kibble, even if it were soaked in water. All Timberwolf Organics kibbles are small and their Wild and Natural is tiny. Fromm Chicken A La Veg is a very small square kibble (it's what I'm feeding my guys).

I don’t know if the merrick can was bad. She eat it and a few hours later puked it all out and she was sick for half a day really bad. After this incident she didn’t even want to smell the canned food. It is very hard to tell what she actually got sick from. Since I’ve been feeding a homemade diet she didn’t get sick once and that is the most important thing for me. In the first few weeks she got sick so many times that my vet bill was just about as much as we paid for her ...

Also few more good things that I have noticed is that she doesn’t smell like a dog anymore and has more energy.

I am still looking into what to feed her from now on, I really don’t mind cooking for her because she’s soo small that money is not a problem and the quantity of food is also small so it doesn’t take alot of time to do it.