Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Yorkie is eating her feces

TinyTinkerbell
October 5th, 2007, 11:24 AM
:shrug: Hello my 4 month old Yorkie is eating her own feces . She has since we recieved her a month ago. I leave food out for her all the time to nibble so it's not that she is hungrey . She is EXTREMELY fussy. We had to force feed her with a eyedropper for the first 2 wks per request from breeder. As she wouldn't eat on her own. Then my son dropped a piece of hamburger on the floor and she attacked it like she was starving. So now I cook her hamburger and give it to her everyday. Along with Ensure to try and get vitamines in her. But not sure if it is good enough. How do I get her to stop eating her own feces. During the night and while I am at work I come home to only a stain on her piddle pad. She has eaten it. I don't know why or what to do.
Hope someone can help me :pray:. She is a teeny weeny under 1 lbs.But very cute....
thanks Tink's Mom

want4rain
October 5th, 2007, 11:33 AM
if i had a yorkie, id name her tinker bell too.

i would look into a home made diet and MAYBE even a raw meaty bone diet. things like raw buffalo wings might be somethign stimulating enough?? have you tried a littler box? i dont know anything abotu small dogs . *shrugs*

what did the breeder feed her?

-ashley

want4rain
October 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM
i meant to say, i strongly suggest looking into a homemade or raw diet. i would imagine she wants to eat her poo because she isnt getting the nutrition she needs.

-ash

TinyTinkerbell
October 6th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the advise ...

scotswop
October 6th, 2007, 07:27 AM
My Beagle-X Buddy, did that for a while as while. At the begining we would give him a bit of human food mixed in his puppy food to get him to eat. I think the puppy food was better for him so we mixed. He was eating his feces and we couldn't get him to stop. Someone told me that his feces tasted better than the dry puppy food. We stopped giving him human food, switched to a holistic puppy food (and now adult food) and we will add just a bit of the juices remaining from when we brown our meats (after it's refridgerated and fats skimmed off).

He doesn't eat feces anymore and he does eat his food. I also only feed him once a day, with treats only if his food is finished.

The part about not giving him human foods and his stopping eating his feces may have been a coincidence, but it you really should talk to the vet if it worries you.

BusterBoo
October 6th, 2007, 07:58 AM
I don't have a "poop eater" but my daughter does (her baby shih tzu). It is not uncommon for dogs to do this, and the only way to stop it is to be there when they poop and pick it up right away! Some people say that you shouldn't let the dog see you pick it up :shrug:. There are also some products available that you put on the dog's food which is supposed to make it taste nasty (how much more nasty could poop taste :laughing: ?? )

satchelp
October 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM
It could be a couple of things. First of all, if your pup is eating only hamburger and Ensure (which is full of sugar/corn syrup etc. and is totally inappropriate for giving to dogs), then she is probably malnourished. At this point, it might make sense to have the vet look at her because if this has been her diet for a while, there could be health implications.

I would stop with the hamburger and Ensure, and until you get up to speed on feeding raw or on homecooking for dogs if that's the way you want to go, I think it's important that you provide her with a good balanced puppy food, whether kibble or canned if she will not eat the kibble. Something like Merrick, Natural Balance, Wellness, etc.

The other thing that might be happening is that she is not digesting what you are giving her properly which is also another reason for a vet check.

She sounds too small and it sounds like she is not thriving.

Isolde
October 6th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Eating poop is a sign of a more serious problem like some mentioned already.

What can u do about it? First change her diet.
U can feed some pineapple, which makes the poop taste bad for them so your dog may not find the poop so appetizing ;).

When comes to the diet. I recommend a more natural / raw / homemade diet. But here there’s a lot to talk about. Some feed only meat, no grains, no veggies.

Best thing to do is to read a few good books regarding this. Here are some recs: Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats by Kymythy Schultze and Dr. Pitcairn's New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Richard H. Pitcairn and Susan Hubble Pitcairn , there are many more others but these are some of the best and I was able to find them at the library :D
Let us know what you want to do and if you have any questions ask because there are a lot of really knowledgeable people here that can help you.

:highfive:

SuperWanda
October 6th, 2007, 01:47 PM
One of my dogs did this but eventually grew out of it. The best thing I did was simply pick it up after she went.

Never made a big deal about it, never rubbed her nose in it or got upset. Never tried hiding hot sauce or cayenne pepper it. Just picked it up.

I would get her on to a good quality food as others have suggested.

I also wonder if feeding her twice a day would be better then leaving the food down all the time? Ususally dogs will go after they eat so if you are controlling the time she eats and therefore goes it will be easier to pick it up.

Good luck!

TinyTinkerbell
October 6th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks for everyone's advice
She was on prescription diet a/d canned food from my vet . And was still eating her feces so as far as the food I feed her it didn't matter. And the breeder and the vet recommended the Ensure where she is so tiny. As far as the person thinking she isn't thriving . Obviuosly you don't know very much about Tiny Yorkies. Her parents weighed under 2 lbs. It is the breed. She is doing great. playing , running , and eating. Unfortunately she stopped eating her canned food refused to eat. I tried every canned food on the market. She will smell it and walk away. Went the whole day once with refusing to eat and got weak that was when I said enough. She went after a crumb of hamburger my son dropped like she was starved . So i made her hamburger ever since. She ate her poo before the hamburger. She has since the day we recieved her. So we know it isn't her diet. I just thought someone had a trick to getting her to stop. I do pick it up as soon as I see it. But unfortunately I can't be there every second of the day. I hope she out grows it.
Thanks for the great advice everyone . Happy Thanks Giving to anyone in Canada. Tink's Mom

satchelp
October 6th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks for everyone's advice
As far as the person thinking she isn't thriving . Obviuosly you don't know very much about Tiny Yorkies. Her parents weighed under 2 lbs. It is the breed. Tink's Mom

I guess I don't know much about 'Tiny Yorkies'. I usually only see them when I'm at dog shows and they look quite a bit bigger than that. Under 1 lb sounded too small to me even at 4 months.

Purpledomino
October 9th, 2007, 08:41 AM
The parents are both under two pounds? :eek: I have to dissagree that it is "the breed". The breed standard calls for Yorkshire Terriers to be under seven pounds, preferably between four and six. I think that your breeder is trying to produce the coveted "teacup" phenomenon, or purse puppy....which is extreme and way under the standard for the breed. You may expect some hereditary, and non-hereditary health problems associated with a dog so tiny, and unfortunately such a small stature is not condusive to a healthy Yorkie.

Sounds like the husbandry of this puppy from the get-go has been a problem already, I would seriously consider purchasing pet insurance. You should probably keep close contact with your vet to ensure that your pup stays in optimum health as a pup that is so tiny can go wrong very quickly. Good luck, and pics would be nice!

rainbow
October 9th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I agree with Purpledomino. You have obviously purchase a so-called "teacup" yorkie....

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/yorkshire.htm

http://www.ytca.org/faq.html#A

I also suggest you buy pet insurance before it's too late.

fancface
October 12th, 2007, 02:33 PM
My dog was doing this too so we contacted our vet, she said it is completely normal and that she has this powder you can sprinkle on her food that will make her feces bad to taste. We never went this route as ours stopped on her own but if you are desperate and have tried all options this may be a way to go.

I don't have the name of the stuff with me right now but if you want it just let me know and I will get it for you.