Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sprocket leaving dog food in the mornings

Tazette
October 5th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Sprocket is now 13 months old, we will be switching his foold to the adult Orijen very shortly, we have a bag standing by waiting to wean him onto his big boy food. Lately Sprocket hasn't been too interested in eating in the mornings, since we were still feeding him 3 times a day, we figured his feedings were now too frequent for him and give him the same amount of food 2 times daily. For a short time this seemed to do the trick, when supper rolls around he's pretty hungry, but within the last week he started "screwing around" in the mornings and would ignore his food. I don't know if we're feeding him too much or what, but I'd like to find out what's up with this "new" eating habit. Sprocket is a Shepherd/Husky/Retreiver X, 13 months old and 75 lbs, we use to feed him 3.5 cups of food a day, but we weren't able to feel his ribs too well. We asked the vet about his size shortly after and she said he could do with about 5lbs less, Sprocket now eats 3 cups a day plus his treats when we leave him alone.

Has anyone else noticed their dogs eating habits change like this? DH thinks he's just a lazy, tired dog in the mornings, I'm not sure what to think. This morning DH left for work at 6am, told me he fed Sprocket, when I got up at 7, his food was still in his dish, he did eat it, but I was standing close by. I'm wondering if it could be a social thing....maybe he wants company in the morning when he eats.

Lukka'sma
October 5th, 2007, 10:58 AM
When we first brought Lukka home at 10 weeks we fed her three times a day, and she acted like she never got enough to eat. It used to break my heart to see her act so hungry but we were told by the breeder how much to let her eat, and we stuck with it. She was getting the recommended amount on the label of dog food so I didn't increase it, but after a while she did fill up:D At about 6 months of age she didn't always want her three meals and would just walk away from her dish when I gave it to her. Now at just under two years of age, she usually only eats once a day. A couple of days during the week she might take more, but not on any kind of a regular basis. She likes to eat in the evening more so than morning. If I put her dish down in the am it will still be untouched in the pm, and she will wander over and eat early evening. She likes to sleep in after a pee in the morning and doesn't get too active lots of days until about 10am.

Dog Dancer
October 5th, 2007, 11:07 AM
My older girl just eats when she wants to. I feed both dogs twice a day, and the lab eats everything (no kidding huh) but the older one just eats what she feels like. If she doesn't eat after ten minutes I pick it up and put it away until the next feeding. She gets her treats during the day so she's not starving. I think they know what they need. Some dogs do like their people around when they eat. My old (RIP) dog wouldn't touch her food during the day (when we used to leave the food out because she was the only dog) but would wolf it down as soon as we came home from work. So I wouldn't worry if the dog doesn't want it on occasion.

clm
October 5th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Sometimes my pups eat their breakfast, sometimes they don't. I put it out for them anyway.

Cindy

rainbow
October 9th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Sprocket is a Shepherd/Husky/Retreiver X, 13 months old and 75 lbs, we use to feed him 3.5 cups of food a day, but we weren't able to feel his ribs too well. We asked the vet about his size shortly after and she said he could do with about 5lbs less, Sprocket now eats 3 cups a day plus his treats when we leave him alone.

I think you may be feeding him a bit too much. How many treats does he get per day? My 90lb. lab gets 1 1/2 cups Orijen in the morning and 1 1/2 cups for supper plus one dog cookie after each meal.